The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Hawkes

Nov 29, 2011
Any idea what the difference is between the TF101-A1 which is $399 and the TF101-X1 which is the one on sale. Comparison between them on BB site doesn't really show any majoe differences.

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
I am pretty sure there is no significant difference. Colors available maybe?

Sent from my flyer using Tapatalk

darkstar765

Dec 5, 2011
I am currently torn between the Kindle Fire, The Visio VTAB 1008 and The Nook. My price range is around 200.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I will be using it for reading magazines, books, the wallstreet journal, watching videos like hulu or netflix, listening to music, browsing the web and sending e-mails. Like a long battery life. I really don't care about a camera bc I know visio doesn't have Skype which I find stupid.

2) how much you are willing to spend
I'm willing to spend around 200. If you know a better one then the three I mentioned feel free to mention it, then rank these three for my needs.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
7-8 inch want it to be portable

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer iliterate
Know a lot about Androids and computers.

5) Please list your location somewhere.
San Diego

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

JeepFreak81

Dec 5, 2011
These are some of the units I've been looking at Acer A500, Asus Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Sony Tablet S, and the Toshiba Thrive.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I plan to use the tablet for web browsing, forums, facebook, GAMES!!, maybe some e-reading. Want it to ALMOST replace my laptop. Plan to keep my laptop handy for writing documents and things like that.

$300-$400 maybe a tad more if it's worth it.

10" is preferable although the Sony S is a 9" and would be fine.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer iliterate
Currently own a Motorola Milestone phone with FroYo which I love, The tab must have honeycomb and I prefer that it can be upgraded to ICS when it comes out.

New Hampshire

One thing I'm concerned with is memory, if I put a bunch of graphics rich games on my tab is it going to eat up a 16gb tab really fast? Seems like tablets don't support apps to SD like my phone does. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
These are some of the units I've been looking at Acer A500, Asus Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Sony Tablet S, and the Toshiba Thrive.

I plan to use the tablet for web browsing, forums, facebook, GAMES!!, maybe some e-reading. Want it to ALMOST replace my laptop. Plan to keep my laptop handy for writing documents and things like that.

$300-$400 maybe a tad more if it's worth it.

10" is preferable although the Sony S is a 9" and would be fine.

Currently own a Motorola Milestone phone with FroYo which I love, The tab must have honeycomb and I prefer that it can be upgraded to ICS when it comes out.

New Hampshire

One thing I'm concerned with is memory, if I put a bunch of graphics rich games on my tab is it going to eat up a 16gb tab really fast? Seems like tablets don't support apps to SD like my phone does. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

If you're looking for something to replace your laptop, then I would suggest the Asus. With the accessory keyboard, it truly becomes a laptop replacement.

JeepFreak81

Dec 5, 2011
If you're looking for something to replace your laptop, then I would suggest the Asus. With the accessory keyboard, it truly becomes a laptop replacement.

Well, let me rephrase slightly. I do like the idea of the add on keyboard but that's not really a concern of mine. I intend to still use my laptop for any lengthy writing, but I want the tab to replace my laptop as a web browsing and gaming device.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Well, let me rephrase slightly. I do like the idea of the add on keyboard but that's not really a concern of mine. I intend to still use my laptop for any lengthy writing, but I want the tab to replace my laptop as a web browsing and gaming device.

Hardware wise, all those tablets will be essentially identical (same processor, same amount of memory, same version of Honeycomb). Since they all have the Tegra 2 processor, they will all be upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich. Asus will be releasing the first quad-core processor tablet (Transformer Prime) in about a week and a half, and that will be the first one to be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, so the Transformer will . There are slight differences that will essentially come down to personal preference. The Toshiba does have a full size USB port, as does the Acer (I believe). The Asus only has a full size USB port when you use the accessory keyboard. The full size USB port does make the Toshiba probably the thickest of the bunch. You can get different color accessory backs for the Toshiba and the back is slightly rubberized in feel. The Samsung will be the one that looks the most like the iPad (you would be hard pressed to differentiate the two when compared side by side), but that is also why Apple is suing Samsung. The Asus comes with Polaris as a preloaded app, and that is essentially an Office app (can handle word documents, excel spreadsheets, and powerpoint presentations). The Toshiba doesn't, but you can always add a similar app for $5-$10 (or free if you had signed up for the app when they were offered as Amazon's App of the Day). Don't know much about the Sony, just saw it in the store, but I'm not particularly fond of how it it thicker on top, but thinner on the bottom.

dartagnan

Dec 6, 2011
Mainly for reading pdfs (textbooks, etc.) and other text documents, and websurfing when I'm at the library/out studying.

300 dollars

Don't really care, though I've heard that 9 + inches is best for pdf viewing

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
It will not be a problem.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Toronto

tmaxx

Dec 7, 2011
Android or IPad is the first order of business. I understand this is an android tablet forum so maybe I can get a bit of advice on why I an android tablet would be a better choice for me than an Ipad. I can get an IPad1 for $300 from a friend. In terms of Android tablets, there are so many over such a wide range of prices and specifications that it is daunting. So here is what I am looking for in a tablet:
1. I am looking to use it as an organizer. Tracking to do lists. Taking meeting minutes. Scheduling my calendar. I rely alot on reminders. I plan to keep it with me most of the time. I currently do alot of these things on my phone but the small screen makes entering info cumbersome.
2. I like to journal alot, so I want to be able to capture thoughts, ideas, etc when I am inspired. This might imply that I would use an external keyboard.
3. I don't plan on paying a monthly subscription for 3G access, so wi-fi only is fine with me.
4. I want to be able to review adobe and word docs. I would like to be able to enter data into either Word or Excel although I am not sure this is possible on an Android or IPad platform.
5. We often take long road trips, so I want my kids to be able to watch movies. I assume that I would need to have the movies stored on the tablet in order to view them on the road. I haven't dealt much with digitized movies. We primarily stream netflix and watch DVDs.
6. Typically when I am at home, I like to be able to surf the web while sitting in my recliner or sitting on the deck of my home. So I forsee myself wanting to be be able to surf the web on the tablet.
7. Probably will stream Netflix on the tablet at some point.
8. Of course, I'll want to check and send email.
9. I do alot of Bible study, so I want to be able to have Bible resources available to use.
10. I write to Facebook alot.
11. I am not a gamer.
12. I currently have an HTC Incredible with the Android system. I have used the Android marketplace quite a bit to find applications which are useful to me. Things such as a Redbox app, Facebook app, Craigs list app, Ebay app, Priceline app etc.
13. I use the Google maps feature on my HTC Incredible phone alot. Not sure if it is possible to get a tablet without 3G connectivity and still use the maps feature.
14. In terms of cost, I would like to stay around $300 to $400.

devishnik

Dec 7, 2011
Im in the same situation right now.. I see Lenovo A1 and thinking about getting it. My requirements are Games, Netflix, Flash, external SD, usb if available, hdmi if available, high resolution, any display size. It will be available in 2 days for $199. I had never an own ANdroid but i feel like a fish in the linux ocean, so it shouldn't be a problem to tweak it... What are the pros/cons between devices you listed ?

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi devishnik,

Welcome to the board, I'm not sure which devices you were referring to, which ones were you interested in? Just the A1? Or were you comparing it to something else? Glad you could join us and I am sure you'll find the answers you seek with regard to researching your tablet purchase. :D

Dreedo

Dec 8, 2011

Flash 10.1 and above would be good, multi-touch would also be a nice bonus. Wi-fi is a must. Minecraft compatability, although i don't think it's possible for the price. (Minecraft needs a 1GHZ CPU with ARMv7 support, Multi-touch, unsure on RAM, probably 256MB.)

£80-£100 ($120-$150ish)

7" Screen or so.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I have been using computers since the mid 90's. Never used an Android device.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

England.

Thanks. :)

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
Hey im wondering which one of these would be better for me?

Arnova 10 G2, Arnova 7 G2, Ainol 7A, or any others you can come up with

Req. long battery life, Capacative, 200$ and under, 1ghz Processor

would be nice. Full size USB, upgradeable to 4.0, Gingerbread + access to the android market, an android community(Roms, Rooting)

as of now i have a 5+ pound 15 inch laptop that i hate lugging around the house, this will replace that, also i would be using it when i travel (hoping to make the laptop into a desktop device, it will be used outside some, but mostly inside. I live in the western USA. iv been using computers since win 98 erra, android for about 3 months.

Any help would be appriciated, also if you have any others that should be added to my list that'd be great, or if any of those should be taken off.

Last edited:

ashep

Dec 10, 2011
Okay I need help buying a tablet for my android savvy husband. He's a tech lover so its hard to frugal when shopping knowing he wants, 16+ gb, wifi, 10 inch maybe 8 inch, multi-touch, flash,preferably a tablet that can be rooted because thats probably the first thing he will do . A dual core processor would be nice as well and it has to have android market of course. Any suggestions would help. Sorry If I worded things wrong..