The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Asus Transformer. Best Buy has lowered the price to $299 for the 16 GB model. Or if you can wait another week, the Transformer Prime will be available ($499 for the 16 GB or $599 for the 32 GB model). That one will be quad-core.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Asus Transformer. Best Buy has lowered the price to $299 for the 16 GB model. Or if you can wait another week, the Transformer Prime will be available ($499 for the 16 GB or $599 for the 32 GB model). That one will be quad-core.

Actually they are not offering, at least for now, a 16gb model. $499 - 32gb, $599 - 64gb

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

fatheads808

Nov 30, 2011
Home depot 299.00 for the lenovok1. Researched for a month andfor 32gb 10" screen u cant go wrong. But asus just released the newest tablet 2 days ago. Not being sold yet but big buzz on the net. Hope i helped at least a little ; 0

Sent from my K1 using Android Tablet Forum

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Mainly for reading pdfs (textbooks, etc.) and other text documents, and websurfing when I'm at the library/out studying.

2) how much you are willing to spend
300 dollars

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Don't really care, though I've heard that 9 + inches is best for pdf viewing

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
It will not be a problem.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Toronto

Velocity micro T410, amazon, Gingerbread, 269
acer a500 refurb, bestbuy, Honeycomb 299
Arnova 10 G2, amazon,gingerbread(upgrade to ICS possible) 209,
Archos 80 G9 Turbo, amazon, Honeycomb, 299

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
Android or IPad is the first order of business. I understand this is an android tablet forum so maybe I can get a bit of advice on why I an android tablet would be a better choice for me than an Ipad. I can get an IPad1 for $300 from a friend. In terms of Android tablets, there are so many over such a wide range of prices and specifications that it is daunting. So here is what I am looking for in a tablet:
1. I am looking to use it as an organizer. Tracking to do lists. Taking meeting minutes. Scheduling my calendar. I rely alot on reminders. I plan to keep it with me most of the time. I currently do alot of these things on my phone but the small screen makes entering info cumbersome.
2. I like to journal alot, so I want to be able to capture thoughts, ideas, etc when I am inspired. This might imply that I would use an external keyboard.
3. I don't plan on paying a monthly subscription for 3G access, so wi-fi only is fine with me.
4. I want to be able to review adobe and word docs. I would like to be able to enter data into either Word or Excel although I am not sure this is possible on an Android or IPad platform.
5. We often take long road trips, so I want my kids to be able to watch movies. I assume that I would need to have the movies stored on the tablet in order to view them on the road. I haven't dealt much with digitized movies. We primarily stream netflix and watch DVDs.
6. Typically when I am at home, I like to be able to surf the web while sitting in my recliner or sitting on the deck of my home. So I forsee myself wanting to be be able to surf the web on the tablet.
7. Probably will stream Netflix on the tablet at some point.
8. Of course, I'll want to check and send email.
9. I do alot of Bible study, so I want to be able to have Bible resources available to use.
10. I write to Facebook alot.
11. I am not a gamer.
12. I currently have an HTC Incredible with the Android system. I have used the Android marketplace quite a bit to find applications which are useful to me. Things such as a Redbox app, Facebook app, Craigs list app, Ebay app, Priceline app etc.
13. I use the Google maps feature on my HTC Incredible phone alot. Not sure if it is possible to get a tablet without 3G connectivity and still use the maps feature.
14. In terms of cost, I would like to stay around $300 to $400.
with that you really dont need on of the higher end tablets,
first things first, screen size, dont see what you want there 7-10"
Ainol 7 Advanced, 150$, merrimobiles, good battery, 7" screen, and will do everything on your list with ease.
Toshiba Thrive, 300$, Amazon, its a toshiba, 10" screen, will do all that and alot more, dual core processor.
Acer a500, 380$, amazon, fairly heavy duty, great battery, fairly heavy, 10" screen, dual core processor.
acer a100, 250$, best buy, 7" screen not so good battery, dual core processor.
and of course the Ipad, i personally dont like the interface, infact i hate it (not very custamizable) but its build quality is pretty good, i would go to best buy and try bolth the ipad and a simalerly priced android tablet side by side.

Last edited:

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Flash 10.1 and above would be good, multi-touch would also be a nice bonus. Wi-fi is a must. Minecraft compatability, although i don't think it's possible for the price. (Minecraft needs a 1GHZ CPU with ARMv7 support, Multi-touch, unsure on RAM, probably 256MB.)

£80-£100 ($120-$150ish)

7" Screen or so.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I have been using computers since the mid 90's. Never used an Android device.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

England.

Thanks. :)

ainol 7 advanced, 150$, 7" merimobiles
x10 7p, 160$, 7" x10.com
arnova 7 G2, 160$, 7" amazon

jsetgirl

Dec 12, 2011

It is for my kids, one is 5 and the other is 8. The older one will use it for homework (First in Math, etc.), reading books and playing games. The younger one will mostly play games.

Did not want to spend more than $200 on each one. Was initially considering a Kindle Fire for the older child, but am wondering if a tablet is a better investment (although we already have a membership to Amazon Prime).

I think 10" for both. Or is it better to get 10" for the 8 yr old and 7" for the 5 yr old?

It will be our first android anything, but both dh and I are very computer literate.

USA

spankinhamZ

Dec 12, 2011
Im looking to spend 200-300.. Mainly web surfing email and posting, maybe a lil angry birds. Needs flash and of course wifi. I dont need 3g but gps and bluetooth would be nice to have but not needed.. Id love something with power like 1ghz, 1gig of ram more or less.. 7-10 inch.. Im computer literate but havent owned any android devices of my own yet. I wouldnt mind rooting it although Ive never done so before.. some tablets I had in mind are the vizio tab but Ive read its lack of speed and power. Nook color rooted, Kindle fire, BB Playbook, and the samsungs galaxy 7in.. Any insight would be great, even if its on none of these. Thanks

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011

It is for my kids, one is 5 and the other is 8. The older one will use it for homework (First in Math, etc.), reading books and playing games. The younger one will mostly play games.

Did not want to spend more than $200 on each one. Was initially considering a Kindle Fire for the older child, but am wondering if a tablet is a better investment (although we already have a membership to Amazon Prime).

I think 10" for both. Or is it better to get 10" for the 8 yr old and 7" for the 5 yr old?

It will be our first android anything, but both dh and I are very computer literate.

USA
alright your looking for two tablets? or one for bolth? and is the total to be 200? or 200 a piece?

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
Im looking to spend 200-300.. Mainly web surfing email and posting, maybe a lil angry birds. Needs flash and of course wifi. I dont need 3g but gps and bluetooth would be nice to have but not needed.. Id love something with power like 1ghz, 1gig of ram more or less.. 7-10 inch.. Im computer literate but havent owned any android devices of my own yet. I wouldnt mind rooting it although Ive never done so before.. some tablets I had in mind are the vizio tab but Ive read its lack of speed and power. Nook color rooted, Kindle fire, BB Playbook, and the samsungs galaxy 7in.. Any insight would be great, even if its on none of these. Thanks

Nook colour has an amazing community but no gps but has bluetooth (after root).

Galaxy line is amazing, great tablet line. but no gps, but has bluetooth and a large community.

Kindle fires community is growing fast, and is a great tab for 200$.

Bolth the nook and fire arnt that great without some work though, the stock UI is ugly considering its running android.

At the top of your price range though a acer a500 (300$ (refurb bestbuy)), or a100 (250 new(bestbuy))can be had which comes with honeycomb, (the a100 ((a 7" tab))) has terrible battery life though. a archos g9 8" turbo can be had for 300 on amazon, honeycomb, 1.2-1.5 dualcore.

At the low end you can get a 10" arnova 10 g2.

hoped this helped, and Q's be sure to ask.

Last edited:

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, I am looking for 2 tablets, $200 each.

Alright, A 7 inch will work just fine, for the 5 year old, since it is less of a screen to be dropped on, now some things to remember, your 5 year old, is he going to be doing the heavier gaming? such as gameloft games the are high graphics games, or is he going to be playing angry birds? if its the later he can get by with a resistive screen (cheaper, but not nearly as good as a capacitive because of responsiveness and the fact resistive only allows 1 input (rarely 2)( resistive uses your finger nail or a stylus like a DS)). capacitive uses electrical currents from your finger(also this allows more then two inputs on the screen at the same time). as for the 8 year old, to do homework on, a 10 inch would be alot nicer, also looking into a keyboard case would be a good idea.

For the 5 year old you can look at cobys kyros line on amazon, (just search kyros on amazon) they cost between 120-210
mid7012 - resistive - 4gb(up to 16) - 2.3 - 800mhz - 126$
mid 7127-capacitive-4gb(up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 170$

For either you can look at the arnova line by archos, (the G2 series is better) (search arnova g2 on amazon) cost between 150-230 (also has been rumored to get a 4.0 update)
arnova 7 g2 - capacitive - 4gb (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 160$
arnova 10 g2 - capacitive - 4gb (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 200$ (one i am personally looking at buying)
arnova 8 g2 - capacitive - 4gb (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 180$

You can check out the velocity cruz line (their very crappy for the price though they are pretty thick and thus a little more sturdy)
T408 - capacative - 4gb - (up to dono has usb and micro sd) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 180$
they have other models but they are a minefield, if your going to get one avoid any with a MIPS processor

All prices taken from amazon, you can use google shopping to find cheaper prices.

Last edited:

jsetgirl

Dec 12, 2011
Alright, A 7 inch will work just fine, for the 5 year old, since it is less of a screen to be dropped on, now some things to remember, your 5 year old, is he going to be doing the heavier gaming? such as gameloft games the are high graphics games, or is he going to be playing angry birds? if its the later he can get by with a resistive screen (cheaper, but not nearly as good as a capacitive because of responsiveness and the fact resistive only allows 1 input (rarely 2)( resistive uses your finger nail or a stylus like a DS)). capacitive uses electrical currents from your finger(also this allows more then two inputs on the screen at the same time). as for the 8 year old, to do homework on, a 10 inch would be alot nicer, also looking into a keyboard case would be a good idea.

For the 5 year old you can look at cobys kyros line on amazon, (just search kyros on amazon) they cost between 120-210
mid7012 - resistive - 4gb(up to 16) - 2.3 - 800mhz - 126$
mid 7127-capacitive-4gb(up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 170$

For either you can look at the arnova line by archos, (the G2 series is better) (search arnova g2 on amazon) cost between 150-230 (also has been rumored to get a 4.0 update)
arnova 7 g2 - capacitive - 4gb (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 160$
arnova 10 g2 - capacitive - 4gb (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 200$ (one i am personally looking at buying)
arnova 7 g2 - capacitive - 4gb (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 180$

You can check out the velocity cruz line (their very crappy for the price though they are pretty thick and thus a little more sturdy)
T408 - capacatice - 4gb - (up to dono has usb and micro sd) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 180$
they have other models but they are a minefield, if your going to get one avoid any with a MIPS processor

All prices taken from amazon, you can use google shopping to find cheaper prices.

Wow, thank you so much for such a thorough answer. They are both girls, so the "heavy gaming" right now is playing Barbie games off the Mattel website, lol. The 5 year old did get into Angry Birds though when we went to look at tablets at Best Buy.

So you think we shouldn't even consider the Kindle Fire for the 8yr old?

I see you recommended the Coby for the 7" tablet, what do you think of their 10" ones?

Thanks!

yoyowhatup22

Dec 9, 2011
Wow, thank you so much for such a thorough answer. They are both girls, so the "heavy gaming" right now is playing Barbie games off the Mattel website, lol. The 5 year old did get into Angry Birds though when we went to look at tablets at Best Buy.

So you think we shouldn't even consider the Kindle Fire for the 8yr old?

I see you recommended the Coby for the 7" tablet, what do you think of their 10" ones?

Thanks!
well the kindle fire is great, and would work fine, but i personally dont care for the UI over android.

coby does make some 10 inch ones although the capacitive ones are a bit up on your price, also they never update their firmware which may or may not matter to you.
mid1125 - capacitive - 4gb(up to 32) - 2.3 - 1GHZ - 233$
MID1126 - capacitive - 4gb(up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 248$
mid1024 - resisitive - 4gb(up to 32 - 2.2 - 1ghz - 210$
now you could go with an 8 inch (uses a fullscreen look rather then a widescreen)
mid8127 - capacitive - 4gb(up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 200$
mid8125 - resistive - 4gb - (up to 32) - 2.3 - 1ghz - 161$

here is the kindle fire
Kindlefire - capacitive - 8gb(not expandable) - 2.3(custome UI) - dualcore1ghz - 200$

also iv looked around online but cant find a solid answer on if a tablet can play online flash games. i knows they support flash, so if anyone know chime in?