The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

pasdf91aew

Dec 14, 2011
it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it. There are a lot of tablets out there that work good. But if you want one now i would go with a cheaper and save money for better ones in the future
huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

KaosRox

Dec 15, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
(in order of importance) eBooks, Netflix, surfing the web, working in Salesforce.com through the browser, light document creation/editing (Some Office and some Google Docs).
Also, I'd really prefer 3.2 version of Honeycomb.
2) how much you are willing to spend
$300-$350
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
7"-8" (I had a 10" Viewsonic and that's too big)
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I know enough, I've rooted/ROM'd every device I've ever had (OG droid, Droid X, Droid 3 and G-Tab)
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Washington state

I'm quite interested in the Acer A100 but I'm looking for a better quality screen.

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
(in order of importance) eBooks, Netflix, surfing the web, working in Salesforce.com through the browser, light document creation/editing (Some Office and some Google Docs).
Also, I'd really prefer 3.2 version of Honeycomb.
$300-$350
7"-8" (I had a 10" Viewsonic and that's too big)
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I know enough, I've rooted/ROM'd every device I've ever had (OG droid, Droid X, Droid 3 and G-Tab)
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Washington state

I'm quite interested in the Acer A100 but I'm looking for a better quality screen.

How about the 7-inch Toshiba Thrive?

The 7-inch Thrive™ Tablet powered by Android™ | us.Toshiba.com

yamarider997

Dec 15, 2011
H, I am very new to the tablets and have been looking everywhere to find some info..there are just so many choices!! I am looking for a tablet with Android 2.2 or better, Flash support and Micro SD..(i was told it should have Micro SD, i dont even know what that is) I want to use it for browsing the internet, mostly Craigslist and you tube and for some apps like Angry Birds . Im looking to spend a max of $200, I dont need a top of the line tablet just something to use at home. Thank you for all your help!

Dec 16, 2011
This is my first post.

1. My main concern is reading and annotating (with a stylus) academic journal articles in PDF form (in bed, on a plane, etc.).
2. Maybe $200? I am not wealthy.
3. Maybe 7" or 8"? I've heard that 10" tablets can be too heavy.
4. I used to be computer literate, but not so much anymore.
5. USA

Thanks!

kevcal

Dec 16, 2011
This is my first post and please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place!
I am partially sighted and am looking for an android tablet that I can customise i.e. change system fonts, colours and sizes. What concerns me is that to do this requires rooting the tablet; but I understand that this invalidates the warranty. As I need to do this to be able to get full use out of a tablet I consider this yet another example of the world of tech discriminating against disability.

Anyway I have had cheap Chinese tablets running 2.1 and 2.3 that were very good regarding font sizes and contrast; but the tablet build quality and reliability are rubbish as is the customer support from some of the rogue traders out there who are only interested in shifting boxes!
My wife has an Acer A500 running on Android 3.2, which is a very nice tab. Well-built and less than £300, it feels as if it will last the test of time and my wife loves it. However I find it extremely difficult to use as the fonts are too small and do not contrast well with the backgrounds for me.
My question is how do I get the fonts of the cheap Chinese tab with the quality of the Acer without invalidating the warranty?
One possible answer maybe to fork out for an iPad as I switched to an iPhone several months ago and it allowed me to use a smartphone with comfort for the first time ever; compared to Android phones I have tried it is miles better from my disability point of view!
However I would like an Android tablet if possible for many reasons but this font issue is a major barrier; any advice and suggestions would be most appreciated.

cabdoctor

Oct 31, 2011
1) I will be using the pad for viewing PDF files(I'm in construction), web browsing via wifi, watching youtube.
2) $200( if I could go $160 I might buy a few )
3) 10 inch I need a big screen
4) Computer literate, which leads me more to towards a chinese branded pad, as I can save a few bucks
5) California

dizaster

Dec 16, 2011
Hi all.

Well Christmas is almost upon us and the wife is bugging me for present ideas.

I have kind of decided on an Android tablet.

Will mainly use one for
Web surfing,
watching movies either from internal memory or from memory cards,
Reading Manga (which I cant do easily on my Kindle),
Playing music / Audio books.
checking emails, facebook etc.
not forgetting playing games when im bored :)
Not essential but might be useful - Video chat over skype (or similar)

I'd Like to say money is no Object :) but who can these days :) Im probably looking in the £150-£200 range
Dont mind going cheaper :) but not higher

I was hoping 10inch ish , but could go down to 7inch

Have been an Android user for about 6months , and I would say Im well versed in most tech :)

Im in the UK , so looking for devices available here :)

Seen a couple in HMV today ,

Archos 7" 250Gb Tablet Initially put off by screen size but the 250G got my attention all for £150

and

A 10inch 8Gb , name escapes me at the minute.

Anyway any suggestions greatfully recieved :)

cheex

Dec 15, 2011
1) General use, web browsing, games, would like Bluetooth, need to have Adobe Flash 10.0 support or higher.

2) $200-$300

3) 8 inch or bigger but would not pass up a 7" that wow'd me. I am looking for a reliable tablet (looking at Chinese tab's that have solid reviews)

4) I know a good deal about Android own a number of Android devices in the past. Would really like to get a device that has honeycomb BUT would take one that will be upgradable in the near future to 3.0 or ICS if possible.

5) Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Tablets I am currently considering: (Am I on a good path or should I shy away)

Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced
Ainol NOVO 8
Aoson M12 (currently top choice)

EDIT: Then i stumbled onto the WiiPad T97 a little older but had a Tegra 2 cpu... i dont know people.. need your help.

Last edited:

YangerD

Dec 18, 2011
  • Web Browsing
  • Watching Videos (AVI, MKV, RMVB)
  • Note taking (maybe, depends how well it works)
  • Android Games?
  • $500. Lower the better though of course
  • I'm thinking 10' would be sweetest :)
  • I know Android started out as an operating system for phones but it has made it's way onto tablets and other devices as of late. I know Ice Cream Sandwich is coming out soon. Is it a free upgrade for those with Honeycomb?
  • Toronto, Canada

cheex

Dec 15, 2011
  • Web Browsing
  • Watching Videos (AVI, MKV, RMVB)
  • Note taking (maybe, depends how well it works)
  • Android Games?
  • $500. Lower the better though of course
  • I'm thinking 10' would be sweetest :)
  • I know Android started out as an operating system for phones but it has made it's way onto tablets and other devices as of late. I know Ice Cream Sandwich is coming out soon. Is it a free upgrade for those with Honeycomb?
  • Toronto, Canada

Hello fellow Torontoian, with $500 to toss around the sky's the limit (more or less) though i'm a fan of the Chinese tablets cause they offer high end specs at low end price I would not suggest one in your case as they often require firmware upgrades and hunting around forums for fixes and such, I bet for $500 you could land a Asus Transformer Prime. In fact Futureshop has them for $500. Thats where I would put my money.