The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

wsb_champ

Jan 22, 2012
WBS Champ, did you get a reply to this question? I am looking for the same thing.

I am considering,

Teclast A10 9.7"
FlyTouch 5 Capacitive 10.2"
ZeniThink C91 Cortex A9 10.2"
Cube U9GT 9.7"
HK 10K AML8726-M Cortex A9
Could someone please advise which of the above would be the best.

Unfortuantly i had no responses.....

The Skype (so am guessing the camera, has to be important) is my biggest priority. However, more than a little confused on the OS!
Is Honeycomb a must have with a tablet? It seem most of these lower entry tablets ship with 2.x - in the real world what are differences?

anyones help will be appreciated...
M

stoobydale

Jan 26, 2012
WBS Champ,
I have added another to the list which might also interest you. Don't know if you have come accross it yourself. It's the Onda Vi40.

stephenbbb

Jan 27, 2012
folks,

please, tell if it possible to use Bluetooth to pass Internet with these two:

1 Nextbook Premium 7
2 Curtis KLU LT8029

I know they don't have it internal and intend to use a dongle. my co-worker bought a Playbook and it can receive Internet by bluetooth from my cell.
I want to have the same with the two above or sth in the same price range.

too late: subject has spelling error

Last edited:

smogell

Jan 29, 2012
Help! Looking for a basic. bottom line unit that I can load and run spreadsheets on.. does not need internet connectivity at all.. it's basically a spreadsheet reader that my service tech needs out in the field to calibrate equipment.. you know, 'plug this number in Here and it comes up with a number There'.. Any ideas??

Wayfarer

Jan 29, 2012
I just registered to the site and I want to discuss "Which tablet do I buy for such-and-such...".
Should I start a new thread or do I do it on this thread? Reason I'm asking is, I want to follow the proper etiquette for this site and I don't have time to read about the site.
Thanks!

Jan 29, 2012
Hello, I'm so glad I found this site, I definitely need some advice.

) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need,

I will be using this for internet (Websites such as Taleo Small business where flash is necessary) Email- both pop (work) and gmail, being able to download gtalk from the app market is a must since I use that for work. And, it must be able to use the voice recognition software. My primary reason for getting a tablet now is a recent injury to my hand- I'm on strict rest and my phone (Droid Incredible) voice recognition software is actually proving more effective than Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking. Ability to download from app market to get a word like program- or into google docs- something where I can do light word processing on occassion (via voice) would be very useful.

2) how much you are willing to spend

300-350

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

I'm thinking 9 to 10 inches but I'm flexible.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I've been using the Droid Incredible for the last year and a half and have been using computers, working from home independently for the past 15+ years. It won't be a problem, although I will be back for advice on how to make a back up. :)

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

Sacramento California
I have looked at the new tablet liking the technical specs on it and being an avid reader that would also serve as an e-reader, and that the microphone for voice recognition is supposed to be outstanding. However, it is my understanding that the app market doesn't work and therefore it is not compatible with sheetrock and a good e-mail program which does not meet my needs.

Also have considered the Asus RTF101-A1 which refurbished is 299 at Best Buy but I don't know much about the brand.

I have never heard of Le Pan, but the reviews have been really good for Le Pan II which is 278 at Walmart.

And I am familiar with Toshiba and wonder if all the specs seem so similar if the drive is worth the extra hundred dollars seeing it at 379?

Or perhaps I have missed a perfectly wonderful option, any advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

wsb_champ

Jan 22, 2012
Hi Stoobydale - have you got any further? Just when i find one i think i like, it seems debatable if it really can work with Skype (Video & Audio).

The ZeniThink C91 Cortex A9 10.2" or the C71 are favourites, i emailed a supplier in UK, and said regarding skype "Yes, they will run Skype, but feedback we have received indicates that the positioning of the internal microphone on these tablets is not the best and therefore the audio can sound muffled."

Last night, i found this - Ployer MOMO8 Business Edition, the other i found was the natpc m009s, again, when i contacted them, they said they beleive it works with Skype...

I just wish someone would post I have the XYZ it cost upto £150 and works perfectly with Skype!!

tangerine3

Feb 5, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Looking for any brand tablet that will allow text to speech on it, our son is disabled and he needs this also would like one that can be used with a stylus as he has limited function, also need to know if any tablets have sound or a port where external speaker can be plugged in, in case sound is not loud enough to hear his speech. Other than that it would only be used for basic internet searching and maybe watching tv or movies but not important.

Right now he uses a communications software on his windows based laptop and the reason why we are looking at tablets is for portability, not lugging his laptop around when we go out and about.

2) how much you are willing to spend

would like to keep it under $400

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

10" or under

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

know nothing about android in any form, phone, tablet, etc. But very computer literate

Also heard that next year there is going to be windows based tablets coming out? Do you know of this? if so we might be able to wait as his software (EZKeys) that he has on his laptop could be used on that platform

Feb 7, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for: VNC/remote desktop and internet, some(very) light typing, media viewing, etc.
2) how much willing to spend: Don't have a budget set more looking at whats out there and deciding what I want to spend based on what I see.
3) what the size: 7", small enough to fit in a cargo pocket.
4) how much you know about Android: computer literate but not very knowledgable about android
5) Please list your location somewhere: USA, California.

Basically here's my thing: I have poor eyesight and don't see well enough to bother with a smartphone(I'd have to hold it up inches from my face and squint pretty hard) However a 7" tablet is still small enough to fit in my pocket but large enough to see and use.

I need one that is 3G capable but does not include a data plan, I am going to be using Virgin Mobile's $5 300mb sim-kit for the rare occasions on which I actually need mobile web.

Thanks!

jjggvysdff1

Feb 9, 2012
Xaueious, I have put it in the Gome Section of Flytouch II as well so hopefully some-one has an answer. Thanks for the heads up Min.
FONT][FONT=Times New Roman].jpg

KatyH

Feb 11, 2012
I have been trying to find a tablet to buy. I have software called cook 'n and this year they are selling an app in the android market to sync with my laptop. I would like to spend no more then $200 for the tablet. I would like it to be no bigger then a 7 inch, I would go with 8 inches but no bigger. In my search I have read about a lot of tablets, but some say they have anroid operating systems but they say it does not have the android market. How do I find one that is a good tablet that has android market available. I do realize that I am not buying a $500 tablet. but I fell there has to be some that will do what I want for the price I want to pay. If it has a camera that would be okay but it is not neccessary to have one. I live in Wattsburg, PA.
thanks

RosL

Feb 16, 2012
I have no clue what I'm looking for I'm afraid.

I live in England. I'm reasonably computer literate and can find my way round most software packages I've encountered given a bit of time and some motivation.

I work for a charity and do a lot of emailing, posting on forums, investigating fundraising providers. I also need to be able to access videos because of some of the publicity materials we make. We're launching an App in the next few weeks, but (ducking here) so far it's only going to be for iPad. I've already told our committee that it needs to be accessible to Androids too. So that's being investigated.

I have to travel as part of the job, so WiFi/3G is needed.

My eyesight is pretty poor and my glasses are rumoured to be strong enough to be able to see Africa on a clear day (!), so I'd really appreciate good, clear graphics.

I have a PC, a laptop and a netbook at home - generally travel with the netbook but a tablet could replace that in theory - and part of my job means that I need to be able to remotely access our charity database. I also have a Galaxy S+ phone which I've only had for a couple of months but am finding great. I know Samsung make Galaxy tablets so presumably the phone and tablet would be compatible if I went for that option.

Funds aren't huge. Miniscule pension from work and now a very small income from the charity added to it, so not a lot of cash to spare. I wouldn't ask the charity to buy this for me. It would be from my own funds. With that in mind, when I have a problem to solve I generally think it over while playing mindless games, so Flash would be needed

Need to be able to do photo editing, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. I presume I could do all of those on a tablet? Would it be the same/similar software as what I'm used to which is MS Office and Open Office? Do most tablets have this already installed? I'd like to have bluetooth too.

We use Skype at least weekly for remote committee meetings, so I'd like that to be possible for the tablet

Would prefer a reasonably fast dual or quad core pocessor and a reasonable amount of RAM and storage.

What peripherals can be attached? Are there USB ports? For example, could I attach an external HD to backup files and/or an external CD/DVD writer? (I have both)

Okay enough questions. Sorry not to be more precise but I really don't know at this point what it is I want

Last edited:

PowerSet

Feb 18, 2012
I'm looking for a tablet(I'm guessing you knew that) and although I have two in mind, I figured I would ask here to see if anyone has had good or bad luck with either, or perhaps has a better suggestion.

1: I am looking for a tablet for two main reasons, First, as a music player in my car, as it is a stiff ride so cd's tend to skip, but I hate using a small mp3 player(I really think any tablet will do this though)
And second, I would like to be able to use it as a gps, which seems to be the more difficult part to find in the budget range.

2: I am looking to ideally spend under 200, but for the perfect one I could go up to 250(Perfect not being to a high standard)

3: I would much prefer a 7" tablet, I could deal with 10", but I want to have this on the dash of my miata, and that's not a big space.

4: I haven't actually used an android phone, but I don't see it being a big problem, I have looked into rooting, using superuser etc, have had some experience with linux(Admittedly only in ubuntu revisions) and would consider myself pretty computer literate.

5: I am in Western MA, although I do expect to be ordering one anyway, most likely a chinese clone of some sort, considering my budget and low requirements.

The two tablets I am currently torn between, are
The Iview 760TPC, which is a 7", with a 5 point multitouch screen and capable of running ICS(Which I prefer, but would not be a deal breaker) although it does not include gps, but has everything else I am looking for, and is only 130 on newegg.com, and seems to have pretty good performance from what I have researched.

And the ZeniThink Zt28102, which is a 10" tablet, capable of ICS as well, with only a 2 point multitouch resistive screen, but including GPS and an antenna.
10" Zenithink ZT280 - Z102 Flytouch 5 Android 2.3 Tablet PC 4GB GPS Cortex A9 (610708556879) | eBay
^That is the one specifically I am looking for, it seems like pretty much any one by that model is a chinese clone, although that one seems to be the best bet from what I have seen.

I have done some research on both, and both seem to be very good tablets, especially for the money, both are 1ghz with 512mb ram, I'm not particularly interested in the camera quality, I do not need amazing quality video, and am really just trying to find the best value for money, with gps capabilities, and the rest I want is standard with pretty much any android device.

Sorry if I went on a rant somewhere in there, I am pretty good at managing that, but I do appreciate anyone trying to offer any help!

Thanks,
PowerSet

mrsmiggins2u

Feb 19, 2012
Evening All,

After much researching on the web and on here (thanks to everyone who's gems I've read up on so far) I've kind of decided on a Zenithink ZT280 C71, hopefully with ICS installed, but failing that 2.3 will be fine as I know I can upgrade. Please can any of you out there, who've bought this tablet, please recommend a reputable UK based seller. I was going to go with EBellking but after reading a thread on here about them I decided not to go through with the purchase.

I've already been let down by one company over a different tablet, and as this was to have been a valentines present from my partner, I don't want to have to go through all that rigmarole again. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thank you :)
mm2u

** quick update ... I've just emailed Zenithink directly to ask if they can supply names of stockists .. I will update again once I hear from them

** 23/2/12 no answer from supplier yet, but yesterday I ordered the new version of the 10.2 inch Zenithink C91 from linitx.com which is based in the UK ... can't wait for delivery in the next day or two :)

Last edited:

Quado

Feb 20, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a tablet and I hope you can help me choose one.

This is what I will be using the tablet for:
1-I will be using my tablet generally to do A LOT of writing (Using a stylus). I would like it to be highly accurate and precise. I am hoping that the tablet would replace my notebook. I have tried both Ipad and Galaxy tab and I did not like their reaction to writing using the stylus.
2-I also will be using my tablet to do some drawings.

Any size would be OK but I prefer 10", I am welling to pay up to 600$

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your help.

Edit: I did a little google search and I found 3 options but not sure which one is more effective and efficient, HTC flyer, lenovo ThinkPad or a tablet PC.

Edit: I realized that the problem was not with the iPad or the Galaxy tab, it is with the application I used, so I used a better application and the stylus worked just great. So I am going to buy an iPad or Galaxy tab if that app existed on android and it will probably replace my notebook.
Thank you all very much.

Last edited: