The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Garry3211

Feb 20, 2012
That's great, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me... Vega it is!!

They seem very difficult to get hold off at the minute though via DSG Group, so it looks like an eBay job... Looks like theres also an older non flash version going around, so I'll have to be careful
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

Last edited:

mcompton1973

Feb 21, 2012
I have a job that takes me on the road 10 days in a row, then 10 days off.
I have an older laptop I have been hauling with me...its HEAVY...
was thinking of getting a tablet to take with me. easier to travel with, and "fun" factor.

I do 3 things mainly

1...Video Chat. this is most important thing because my little girl and wife are at home.They will be on a PC or Laptop using Windows so Skype or something similar that is cross platform would be best. I dont care if it has built in webcam or I need USB...as long as it works.

2. For work...I need very little. There is a couple fill in the blank word documents that i need to update and email...and 2 simple spreadsheets I have to fill out and email. currently I use OpenOffice...I think Google docs would work? I have not tried...

3. Of course email (yahoo) and general web surfing.

I dont have much of a budget. Probably $300 range.
I live in Omaha, NE but travel all over the US.

Thoughts on good products?
Other option is get a newer, lighter laptop with more memory and use That to video chat...mine really is pretty heavy.

a10112

Feb 23, 2012
I'm looking for a basic, cheap tablet (or eReader even) for under 100$. PDF, TXT, CHM files need to be legible. web browsing would be nice, but not needed.

shushu0357

Feb 27, 2012
"DON'T, I say, DON'T ever buy from MERIMOBILES! This scamming website!! I ordered a tablet back in Jan 14th and yet to received my product. So i ask for a refund and they said that it will take 7-15 days to return payment. Well lets just say that i'm still waiting! I gave them a chance and i thought they were a good online retailer but i'm just going to claim a fraudulent claim with my bank to get my money back."

mrsmiggins2u

Feb 19, 2012
Update from my last post. My 10 inch C91 arrived and I'm very happy. Order from LinITX.com seamless. Ordered, processed, packed and on it's way within 24hours ... fantastic :eek:) Delivery would have been completed the next day except the UPS delivery guy didn't check the front door of my work to see that we were open, but a phone call later, a very helpful customer services operator called Ryan, (at Edinburgh UPS depot), helped me out and organised delivery to my house the next day (Saturday) rather than having to wait until the Monday.

Communications from the seller were informative and kept me in the loop regarding my order. It was well packed, so no damages. Tablet does exactly what it says on the box and even though it says Android 2.3 it actually has ICS (Android 4.0) installed, 8gb internal memory (6gb available) expandable by an additional 32gb via a micro SD card, so loads of space for all those apps etc. I can access Android Market, Kindle etc. Yet to try YouTube so I'll update when I've done that. It came with Angry Birds already installed and a few other apps. I would definately purchase again from this supplier. Several choices of delivery, In the UK: UPS is free, other couriers are around about another £5 ontop of the already brilliant price :eek:)

Cheers
mm2u

Mar 2, 2012
i have android in my cell phone but don't know feature of its. and willing to buy tablet... waiting for moment...

Sorry, commercial links are not allowed in posts, signatures or visitor messages. Thank you.

mrsmcd7

Mar 2, 2012
[h=2]Oops, I posted this as a new thread b4 reading the sticky sorry. Here it is in its proper place!
Need expert opinion[/h]
I would like a tablet for the following:
1) ereading (I have the sony prs 600 ereader, but it is not wireless would like wireless)
2) basic word processing

3) wireless b/g/n
4) 512 ram
5) 8gb storage
6) sd expansion ability
7) capacitive screen
8) spend $150 or less
9) android
Any advice?
Thanks!
-Kathy

ShakeyJake

Mar 3, 2012
Hi guys, first post!
I haven't bought a tablet yet, but I want to and I am wondering if you guys can help me. I'd like to stream media from my home server to my new tablet and also to plug it into a tv and use it as htpc that way. I'd also like to be able to control it in htpc mode using a remote control. Can I actually do all of these things on an Android tablet? I'll also be using it to replace my aging Eee 900 netbook for general surfing round the house and also as a little bit of games console.

What I want is something that's as technically powerful and as futureproof as possible, so I'm thinking Tegra 3 here, or is there a better option? I guess I really want a TF201 don't I?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
TF201 is great I have one. Comes with something callled MyCloud and I had to download splashtop remote on my home PC and I can see my whole desktop computer on my tablet. And you can plug it into a TV but sorry I've never done it and not sure what htpc mode is.

Hi guys, first post!
I haven't bought a tablet yet, but I want to and I am wondering if you guys can help me. I'd like to stream media from my home server to my new tablet and also to plug it into a tv and use it as htpc that way. I'd also like to be able to control it in htpc mode using a remote control. Can I actually do all of these things on an Android tablet? I'll also be using it to replace my aging Eee 900 netbook for general surfing round the house and also as a little bit of games console.

What I want is something that's as technically powerful and as futureproof as possible, so I'm thinking Tegra 3 here, or is there a better option? I guess I really want a TF201 don't I?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

grozecki

Mar 5, 2012
I have been researching tablets for about a month now.
I am an unemployed systems administrator.
So I am looking to keep costs low.

1) what you will be using the tablet for: VNC/remote desktop and Internet, Heavy web surfing, creating web pages, lots of flash, creating documents (word,excel....),
forums, google maps, geocaching, email - pop, videos, java, heavy puzzle/cipher solving. I guess i need a g-sensor, GPS navigation, camera,

2) how much willing to spend: Less then 200.

3) what the size: I would prefer 8,9,10. (old eyes cant see as well any more)

4) how much you know about Android: Nothing, have never used a droid but have been in computers for 20 years, repair, installation building networks and servers.

5) Please list your location somewhere: USA, Pennsylvania.

6) only need wifi (no carrier) home network and hotspots while out, GPS, email, flash, multi-touch, movies, maps, edit documents

7) I am not a gamer, but play chess and some other games occasionally.

I have an HP DV7 multi core 8 gig ram laptop that i want to give a break every once in a while as i am on it constantly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

grozecki

Mar 5, 2012
I have been researching tablets for about a month now.
I am an unemployed systems administrator.
So I am looking to keep costs low.

1) what you will be using the tablet for: VNC/remote desktop and Internet, Heavy web surfing, creating web pages, lots of flash, creating documents (word,excel....),
forums, google maps, geocaching, email - pop, videos, java, heavy puzzle/cipher solving. I guess i need a g-sensor, GPS navigation, camera,

2) how much willing to spend: Less then 200.

3) what the size: I would prefer 8,9,10. (old eyes cant see as well any more)

4) how much you know about Android: Nothing, have never used a droid but have been in computers for 20 years, repair, installation building networks and servers.

5) Please list your location somewhere: USA, Pennsylvania.

6) only need wifi (no carrier) home network and hotspots while out, GPS, email, flash, multi-touch, movies, maps, edit documents

7) I am not a gamer, but play chess and some other games occasionally.

I have an HP DV7 multi core 8 gig ram laptop that i want to give a break every once in a while as i am on it constantly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Does anyone offer helpful suggestions to this thread anymore?

ShakeyJake

Mar 3, 2012
No, we don't. :)

I think your budget limits you somewhat but it certainly can be done, I'm actually looking at the Zenithink ones for my mam at the moment. Features look great, and as long as you stick to the capacitive screens what can go wrong? I believe a few people here have them.

mrsmiggins2u

Feb 19, 2012
No, we don't. :)

I think your budget limits you somewhat but it certainly can be done, I'm actually looking at the Zenithink ones for my mam at the moment. Features look great, and as long as you stick to the capacitive screens what can go wrong? I believe a few people here have them.

Hi ShakeyJake,

I am one of those people with a Zenithink. I had toyed with the idea of buying the 7 inch C71, but I thought I'd go all out and get the bigger screen so I bought the 10 inch C91 and I've not regretted it at all. I've had it for a few weeks now and I'm loving it. For the £154.80 I paid, I feel I've really got a good buy (not sure what that translates into dollars for Grozecki, I think it's about $250, but I know that LinITX.com supply to the USA too).

It's been really easy to associate it with my wireless router and I quickly worked out what it was that I was doing wrong to get onto the Android Market (I had to use the email address I'd registered with to open a Google account and NOT my gmail address dohhhh!) The capacitive screen is fantastically responsive for me and playing games, such as Angry Birds which is pre-loaded, is great. The Cortex A9 1ghz processor and onboard 8gb memory (6gb available for useage) copes with everything that I've needed it to do. I could expand the memory by getting a 32gb SD/TF card, but I've only used 40mb's so far, so i've a long way to go before I run out of space :D

It's running Android V4 (Ice-cream Sandwich) and I've had no flash problems so far, so You Tube runs smoothly. The graphics are amazingly clear, I have still to try the on board camera/webcam but it wasn't essential to my choice of purchase. Battery life is really good, definately over 4 hours for me, which compared to my laptop is excellent. So far the C91 gets a resounding A+++++ from me :)

I hope some of this information proves useful to you. Happy tablet hunting.

mm2u

mehoff636

Mar 11, 2012
in the market for a tablet...i been tossing this idea around for a while...
looking to spend around 200 bucks size doesnt matter wifi only
no need for a camera.. just for basic stuff internet games blah blah
the usual

wsb_champ

Jan 22, 2012
Hi mm2u, have you had a chance to use skype on it? When i spoke to the guys at LinITX, they said some users found the sound a little muffled...
wonder what you thought?
M