The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

ZeroFries

Apr 2, 2012
Hello,
Me and my girlfriend have been looking into purchasing a tablet. We love streaming tv/movies to HDTV through my laptop, but my hdmi port finally gave out. Not too knowledgeable on Android or tablets in general so looking for recommendations on model/manufacturer and vendor.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
-Ability to stream HD tv/movies, so need adobe flash and hdmi port
-SD slot for expandable memory
-decent screen sensitivity
2) how much you are willing to spend
-$300-350 budget
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
-8 to 10 inches
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
-computer literate, little android knowledge
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
-Ontario Canada. Willing to ship overseas if we can find a good deal

Thanks for any advice, its really appreciated!

Neo_Leviathan

Apr 2, 2012
Hey all!
I've been ignoring the possibility of getting a tablet for a while, but after being stuck at an airport for a three hour delay I think it might just be time for something between a smartphone and a netbook :)

1) What you will be using the tablet for? Apps, games, movie playback, PDF/document lookup, web browsing, the usuals there. I'll want both 3G (if I can hotswap my iPhone4 microSIM in so much the better) and Wifi, preferably at least one USB port, and of course some kind of memory expansion capability. Flash is a must. Really hoping for something with nice clear visuals and fast response time. Battery life I'll want something that can handle 4+ hours of constant use.

2) How much you are willing to spend. Flexible, but no more than a few hundred. Willing to pay more for better of course, but alas can't really justify something like the Transformer Prime
3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be. Flexible here too, but at minimum a 9"
4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate. Android experience is limited to playing around with a friend's tablet. General computer literacy is very high though.
5) Please list your location somewhere. Good ole Land Downunder (though I tend to import a lot of stuff due to the ludicrous price markups that we are subject to)
6) I'd prefer a well known brand just in case I need a warranty repair etc.

Really appreciate any advice here :D

RyanSammy

Sep 7, 2011
Hi guys,
I have been searching for a good android tablet for a while and think i might get either the samsung galaxy tab 8.9 or the sony tablet S. Though i'm concidering all options.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. It will be used mainly for movies/tv shows, YouTube and kindle.
2) how much you are willing to spend. >£300 ($475).
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be. No smaller than the 8.9 galaxy tab.
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate. I have owned several Android devices and am very computer literate.
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) London, England.

mozart1000

Apr 5, 2012
hi guys
newbie here need some advice looking for tablet

1) what you will be using the tablet for ? I need tablet that can record 1080p video, have micro sd slot, work in 3G, have long last battery, from brand major, OS ICS or upgradeable to ICS, also have adobe flash so i can watch youtube
2) how much you are willing to spend ? let just say up to 1000$
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be ? I need big tablet about 10.1" Around that is okay (ex:8.9") but no for small one (7.0")
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate ? I don't have any android gadget yet. so far i know android is open source develop by google. you can root it and mod it to be what you like. And the latest version is ice cream sandwich
5) Please list your location somewhere ? I'm from Indonesia so I'd like some advice in major brand since I hardly find minor brand here

big appreciate for the answer

Last edited:

Squab

Apr 5, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm looking for my first tablet, but as a complete newbie to android devices I'm a bit lost with all those tablets.

1) what you will be using the tablet for.
Mainly for university (pdf, wlan) and entertainment (movies). So a bright and good quality display is the most important thing to me.
About $350
9-10" (at first I was thinking about the Blackberry Playbook which seemed perfect, but 7" are just, too small for my needs)
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Not much really, never had a tablet/smartphone before.. Just got my netbook, but it's too big and heavy to take every day to university.
5) Please list your location somewhere.
Switzerland

In short: I'm looking for a solid tablet at about 9-10" that focuses more on a good display than on other gimmicks (like quality camera and stuff). Budget around $350.

The possible tablets I found until now are the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and the Sony tablet S. Any other/more apropriate suggestions I should consider?

I appreciate your help! Many thanks.

RyanSammy

Sep 7, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm looking for my first tablet, but as a complete newbie to android devices I'm a bit lost with all those tablets.

1) what you will be using the tablet for.
Mainly for university (pdf, wlan) and entertainment (movies). So a bright and good quality display is the most important thing to me.
About $350
9-10" (at first I was thinking about the Blackberry Playbook which seemed perfect, but 7" are just, too small for my needs)
Not much really, never had a tablet/smartphone before.. Just got my netbook, but it's too big and heavy to take every day to university.
5) Please list your location somewhere.
Switzerland

In short: I'm looking for a solid tablet at about 9-10" that focuses more on a good display than on other gimmicks (like quality camera and stuff). Budget around $350.

The possible tablets I found until now are the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and the Sony tablet S. Any other/more apropriate suggestions I should consider?

I appreciate your help! Many thanks.

I recently started a thread asking wether to buy the Sony Tablet S or the samsung galaxy tab.
Most people recommended the galaxy tab.

Dark

Apr 5, 2012
Hi,

1) I am looking for a Tablet with:
  • Android 4 OS
  • Front camera
  • WiFi
  • 512MB RAM Minimum
  • 1GHz CPU Minimum
  • G-Sensor
  • 32GB Space (I am willing to buy a MicroSD card)
  • Bluetooth
  • Adobe Flash
  • Facebook Games
These features would be nice:
  • Back camera
  • Built-in 3G
  • Built-in GPS
I will be using it to mainly browse the web, play games, read eBooks and Skype chat.
2) I have a budget of around £100
3) 7" to 10"
4) Don't know much about Android. I am computer literate.
5) I want a seller in the UK.
It would be great if I can tether the tablet to my BlackBerry as well (to use the internet from it)

Last edited:

ftcnet

Apr 8, 2012
.. seems like what I'm looking for is an odd combination, but I hope someone knows where to find it.

1) I want a rootable Android tablet so I can run just about any Android app. I expect to use it for network troubleshooting so a built-in RJ45 Ethernet port is a must. I'll use it for accessing router web interface, packet sniffing, Putty, WiFi analyser, must run Zimperium ANTI, etc..
I think I want a capacitive multi-touch display, but I'll have to seriously consider resistive display models too.

2) budget is flexible (depending on features) up to $400.

3) I think the requirement of built-in RJ45 NIC means 10.1" or 10.2", but a 9.7" would be a pleasant surprise.
I don't want a non-standard port and an Ethernet dongle/adapter to keep track of (or loose).

4) I design, sell and support business networks so I think I have above average expertise in that area. I've been using a notebook for network troubleshooting, but an Android tablet seems like it could be more convenient.

5) I'm in western Canada (BC) and am used to purchasing direct from China (if needed).

Your suggestions are most appreciated.

Last edited:

elenai

Apr 15, 2012
Hi

I am looking for a 10inch tablet pc for light web surfing, watching divx films and youtube and reading ebooks. Nothing very demanding but will be using it for 2-3 hours per day. Max budget is 170 euros, I am in Dublin and would prefer a European seller. So far I am torn between the 10" google android 2.3 flytouch 3 16gb and the Zenithink Zt-280 C91 which I can get (either of them) for approximately 150euros delivered. I currently own an iphone 4 and enjoy it very much. Which tablet do people recommend? Thanks in advance

firemeup

Apr 20, 2012
Good morning everyone! Ok so I’ve spent hours researching the darn internet for a tablet to fit my needs and I’m sure it’s out there among the ads, lies, and videos. And then I found this site and hope it will be my saving grace! I have a Kindle Fire which I love but it lacks the Android OS. So is there a tablet out there with a screen size of 9.7 or bigger, with android OS, a screen that is as responsive as the Fire (multi touch capacitive), under $200? Or am I stuck in some dream world? I don’t need a laptop I already have that, I don’t need an e-reader I’ve got that….I want a tablet that can play most android apps and allow me to surf the web/watch videos (flash, fast, and fun). Pretty much just looking for a gaming tablet….don’t need fancy options, tons of space, and hours upon hours of battery life. It has to have an awesome screen and decent speed….that’s it! Not worried about the name as long as it does what it says! So pretty much want a Kindle Fire for Android with a bigger screen….LOL!

firemeup

Apr 20, 2012
We have a kindle fire and my 8 year old loves it! However the screen is “said” to break easily, have not had this happen to us but after some online research found there were a lot of complaints of their kids breaking their tablets screen. So just an FYI! Velocity Cruz screen response sucks….originally got one for my 8 year old and she hates it and plays my Kindle….so we are looking for one with an android OS now. Also with Kindle limited to their content and not as extensive as Android

kristeltips66

Sep 25, 2010
Hi guys
I have now got a Binatone readme mobile. Not the Binatone homesuft, that rubbish. Well I saw it on ebay for under £30.00. So i gave it a try. It is an ebook reader which runs android 2.1 with very few apps preloaded. As an ebook reader it is fab. But the downside is the battery life, especially when using wifi. Althought it has a key board like the 3rd gen kindle, it not touch screen. Therefore the type of apps you can use it reduced. Also there is not access to the market instead it has the gigastore which worse than the app store on the Archos. So i added the Eoe market instead.
Great for kids and those on mega tight budget. I love mine I had customised it using launcher pro. I was wandering if this ebook reader could be rooted ????
If anyone has an idea feel feel to reply. Personally i keep it has it is for now

Here are links

Last edited by a moderator:

Angrydog

Apr 28, 2012
Im currently an iPhone 4 user, but looking for a cheap Android tablet so came here.

All I want to use it for is internet use and a couple of apps. I use forums and email basically.

Are there any suitable Tablets out there for under £100 that will do this? Would prefer a capacitive screen. Wifi a must but 3g would be nice, but not essential. 7" screen will do, though larger would be nice obviously.

I dont mind a "no name" as long as it does the job. I am fairly n00b to Android, though have used it a little bit.

Thanks.

Thanks.

kristeltips66

Sep 25, 2010
Try the Binatone reame mobile. it has a good screen and very cheap. I got mine on Ebay for £29.99. it runs android. 2.1 and would good for the kids. See my post.

hit0mi

Mar 9, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Reading, Internet, Watching Videos (not necessarily HD).
Up to 200$
9.7 or larger
Flash ROMs, have done some light app programming
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Japan

So my main goal is to use this tablet as a reader, video viewer and note taker.
I would like some recommendations as to experience with Chinese tablets and their quality relating to Samsung, Motorola etc.
Interested in Chinese tablets, mainly because they seem significantly cheaper. What kind of online shops are trustable sources here?

Short addition: So far, I've found the Onda Vi40 interesting. Probably looking for something like this. Or would it be advisable to spend +100$ for something like a Motorola Xoom?

Grateful for any information.
Thank you very much.

Last edited: