The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I just boils down to what you're gonna use it for. The chinese tabs are now very good once you figure updates etc.I don't think its worth more money for a 'brand name' tab unless its got quad core chipset. Even now these are coming onto chinese tablets. The quality is improving & decent sellers like redtabletpc.com are making buying chinese much less worrisome. You can get them delivered in less than 6 days in most cases & they give good after sales support. I wish we in england could achieve what is happening in china. Until then I'm happy to deal with suppliers like these.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

zblake619

May 4, 2012
Hey guys, really happy to have found this forum and thread. There's so much good information here! Thanks to you all for adding to this and helping people like me out, but
let me get down to business!

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Mainly for web browsing, watching youtube/netflix, some gaming. Google Play is a must. Capacitive screen is a must. Wifi is a must, 3G is completely useless to me as my phone can serve as a hotspot.
Would prefer 4.0 (ICS).

2) how much you are willing to spend
Hoping to spend no more than 120$ USD.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
7-8 inches is plenty.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Very computer literate, decent knowledge of Android.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Located in Tennessee, USA.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to seeing what's out there. :D

Last edited:

ziro360

May 8, 2012
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy my first tablet and need some advice.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Want for: Web browsing, watching youtube videos, reading ebooks/comics/pdf for school and development.
Needs to have: Google Play, Capacitive screen multi-touch, Wifi, ICS installed or upgradable.
No: Kindle Fire because I can't get them in Europe.

200€ so ~260$

7-8 inch maybe 9.7.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Very computer literate, Android user and developer for a long time and.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Portugal

juliej

May 10, 2012

I'm looking for a tablet made in the US that has USB host support. I have an app that needs to read information from and send information to a device via USB. As I'm reading about tablets online, it seems that some claim to have this support, but they may not be 100% ready to go (USB-host API is not intact). I found the following statement online, so at this point, the Motorola Xoom looks promising; however, any additional input would be appreciated.

"The US version of the Motorola Xoom Wifi-only (MZ604) is your best shot. This is a GDE (Google Device Experience) which means that it is a clean Android version. In other words Motorola has not done any modifications to Android and the USB-host API is intact."

2) how much you are willing to spend - doesn't matter
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be - 10" or larger
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate - I currently have a Dell Streak running 2.2, and I have written the prototype app for the work (minus the USB communication). The initial idea was to root the tablet and install the gadget ethernet driver. However, it seems that using a newer version of android (3.1+), which has additional USB support would be a better answer as I now need something working soon. I have been programming a while, but am new to Android. I'm not even sure if I could just upgrade my Dell to 3.1 or higher to get this to work.

I'm in the US.

fa11enxangel

May 10, 2012
Hi!

Great idea for a thread.

Basically, what I'm after is a simple, cheap tablet. I'm not worried about having spectacular graphics or camera or anything like that - I literally want to be able to go on the internet on the train to and from work. I don't know if I could use it, but I have a 3G USB dongle - are there any tablets I could simply plug that into? I've tried looking online, and while I am versed in computers, tablets are a weak point for me. So, if I can't use my usb dongle to get internet, I'd need the tablet to be 3G. I need to be able to go to a website for work and upload photos to it, which I have found I can't do from my phone. I know it works on Android tablets, because I've tried it - but it's the ability to go on the internet to upload the pictures using a file management system (from what I can gather) on the go that is the major concern - and being able to access the android app market properly. A decent amount of battery is important too.

As for the cost - the cheaper the better, so long as it fufills the job I need. I don't mind about the size either - thoguh7/8" looks good. I don't know masses about Android I'm afraid.

Finally - I'm from Luton, though I regularly travel into Suffolk, London, and to Crawley.

I hope that makes sense and wasn't too garbled!

May 10, 2012
It is good to know that you include "What to buy" question here in this forum. This will help actually. I have an Android phone now and I am planning to buy a tablet hopefully. I just want to ask what kind of android tablet should I buy that is durable and have a good specifications and features.

TRC042

May 13, 2012

Will be using it for email and Browser-based work applications; modifying MS-Word docs and possibly excel spreadsheets.

- SaaS Internet Browser-based apps compatible, email, Flash, Office docs reader, wifi, Google Play, Capacitive screen multi-touch, Android 4, US supported, micro-sd 16 gig capable, 1 Gig RAM: all absolute musts!!! Browser must open real web sites, NOT mobile versions.

G-sensor nice, GPS nice. Muti-core nice, decent camera nice.

- $200-$250

- 10 inch (9.7 OK too)

Very computer literate, linux user, hacked cell phones (win mobile), hacked BIOS. No time lately to learn android hacks, so I need a tablet that just runs.

San Jose, CA USA

This started because I use the bus to commute: bus has wifi but laptop use difficult due to braking, cornering, mountain roads, etc. Laptop slippery and going to land in the aisle someday! Plus with the charger it puts my backpack over the "easy to carry while chasing a bus" threshold.

I was going to get a Galaxy tab 2 7 inch with Android 4. Started comparing and found dozens of 10 inch pads for $200. But more research reveals that most of them are chinese and unreliable, so I don't know anymore. Plus they are rooted, many have 512 meg ram, slow processors, not built for Android 4.

Until I get a clear answer I'm holding off.

Anyone have recommendations?

-TRC042

Last edited:

Deepwinter

May 15, 2012
Im looking for a 9.7 or 10 inch tablet, that works with the google play store app, im not very comfortable flashing or scripting i would like to buy something that works out of the box.

Tullamore

May 15, 2012
1) I'll be using the tablet mainly for navigation and media in my car in foreign countries (because of this I don't necissarily need 3G capabilities), so it'll need to either have a built-in GPS or a USB port for me to connect an external antenna to. Other than that it will be used for light internet use in Wi-Fi environments (at home and work). It may need flash capabilities due test taking sites for certifications.
2) I'm willing to spend perhaps up to $700, however I don't want to spend to the point where I may as well buy a laptop.
3) Probably between 7"-10", big enough for me to see while driving.
4) I'm familiar with the older versions (Gingerbread) as that's whats running on my phone.
5) I live in the US.

Thank you.

Last edited:

hapdtop

May 16, 2012
Hi its my first post..
I wish to buy a tablet mainly for taking notes browsing and for some movies. But its mainly for taking notes.
Heard that android tabs are not good for inking..i dont know...
Screen size: preferably 10" but can accept 7" also
3G is not a must
Good battery back-up
heard that only some have wacom/n-trig digitizer
I wanted to save the notes in txt/word format
....waiting for your comments

kieransampson

May 16, 2012
I've found this on Amazon - NATPC M009S RTB ULTIMATE - Capacitive Android tablet PC - Android 4.0 ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)- now with DOUBLE storage (16GB) and DOUBLE system ram (1GB) for ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE - WiFi for £110.

The deal seems almost too good to be true so I was after some advice. I've read all of the reviews and it does sound a very good piece of hardware, but perhaps needs some investment in time to get the required apps installed. Also, who actually makes these tablets? I've never heard of them before.

Mostly for media consumption, ie papers, magazines, videos, music etc... I also have a laptop for emails etc.., so this functionality isn't prob needed.
Storage is pretty important to me, as is a fast processors, memory etc... in order to view videos - a good screen, but doesn't have to be full HD. I'm not too fussed about cameras and other such gimics.
Ease of use is also important.

Prob around £200 would be my max.

Am ok with a 7 inch tablet. In fact, I'd probably prefer it so I can hold it one handed.

Very computer literate - work in IT, but don't know a lot about tablets.
Suspect I'll need some help in the other forums once I make a purchase.

I'm in the UK, but do travel into Europe for holidays/vacations.

I'm also considering whether it's worth waiting for the UK release of the Kindle Fire or waiting still further for Kindle Fire2. My concern with the Kindle is the amount of on-board storage which seems very limited. My intention is to use the tablet during holidays for watching films etc... and I'm not convinced that Amazon will have a significant cloud offering across central europe for some time. I've also read that in terms of optional storage through SD cards etc..., this isn't possible.

I've also heard that Apple are considering a 7 inch iPad - the iPad mini, but don't know too much about this. I'm also not sure whether it's worth paying the extra for an iPad and really don't understand why the're so expensive in comparison to Androids such as the NATPC above. Is it purely branding/marketing?

Last edited:

rap66

May 17, 2012
I will give this a try. I am new to the forum you will see I have a couple of posts but still on the fence what tablet I want to buy. I am looking at the Asus Transformer 300 right now.

1) What you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps? I am interested in the GPS function for sure something that will work on it's own not connected to WIFI or Network as I don't have a dongle. Iwant to use this as my travel unit. Adobe Flash for documents a must. Some web surfing, g-sensor and blue tooth are plus but not absolutely necessary.

2) How much you are willing to spend? Around $400 tops

3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be? 8" - 10"

4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate?
I am computer literate but new to Android but willing and able to learn.

Upstate New York

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Thanks in advance for the help, RAP

Hephaeus

May 23, 2012
I'm looking for a decent tablet for college. I'd like to be able to take notes with it as well as use WiFi to connect to the internet to help with assignments and such. A long battery life would certainly be a plus. I'm not exactly on a budget, but I'd gladly take a bargain deal or cheap alternative as opposed to a high-priced iPad or Galaxy.

Thanks!