The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

noisysquirrel

Apr 23, 2013
Hello, another new user looking for a bit of tablet advice!

I want the cheapest retina 9.7 tablet going. What are the differences (if any?)
I was looking at the onda v972 and the ainol novo spark 9. Are there any others I should look at?
I want a 4:3 aspect tablet as this is to show off photos and it matched my photo ration better than 16:9 . I dont care about games/bluetooth etc. It will be used for general browsing and showing off photos.

I'm in the UK and ideally want to buy one based in the UK so I dont have to worry about customs and also problems sending it back.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

secretrat

May 6, 2013
Also new to Android. Just bought 2 Sony Xperia phones - great
Also bought a Coby 8065 - not so sure...

I want to use a number of photography apps including Easy Release. The Play Store says Easy Release is compatible with my phone but not my tablet. So I want to return the Coby and buy something else. The problem is what else???

The question: How can one find in advance of purchase what tablets run what apps? It is easy once you have a tablet, but I can't find any way to find out what tablet to buy that will run the photography apps I want.

Other than that the Coby 8065 is fine in most respects (size screeen additional sd port). I'm in the eastern USA

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Also new to Android. Just bought 2 Sony Xperia phones - great
Also bought a Coby 8065 - not so sure...

I want to use a number of photography apps including Easy Release. The Play Store says Easy Release is compatible with my phone but not my tablet. So I want to return the Coby and buy something else. The problem is what else???

The question: How can one find in advance of purchase what tablets run what apps? It is easy once you have a tablet, but I can't find any way to find out what tablet to buy that will run the photography apps I want.

Other than that the Coby 8065 is fine in most respects (size screeen additional sd port). I'm in the eastern USA

There really isn't a reliable way, I haven't seen an app that couldn't be side loaded, unless the app is made for a certain processor.

Just doing a quick check it seems this app loves the name Samsung, below is a list of devices I have or had and the ones that state are not compatible, some of the devices are the same i just added Samsung to the build.prop.

http://pastebin.com/sEYMrw5N

Last edited:

michty_me

May 17, 2013
Hello all,

I'm looking for a small tablet for taking back and forth to work (Using for watching movies, General email, Web browsing and maybe some gaming)
I was initially sold on the Asus Memo 10" SMart but after discussing with some others on another forum my thoughts have changed to a 7" tablet due to better portability and other non travelling things.

The majority of replies that were received were to get the Nexus 7 which looks ideal. The only thing that is putting me off is the lack of SD card slot.
I just like having that option available to me, An example of this would be to remove my SD card from my GoPro camera and slot it straight into the tablet for preview.

I know Google IO is ongoing at the moment, and a new one is to be announced sometime soon apparently but its obvious Google don't want SD slots in their devices.
I did consider the Asus memo pad 7 but read of slow downs (single/Dual core processor) and poor screen.
I then looked at the fonepad but would never be putting a sim into it plus using an intel processor (I think it was) which I also heard has issues with some apps?

I've be keeping a close eye on Google IO anyway to see if there are any break throughs. I'm also waiting to hear some hands on reviews of the Acer Iconia A1 which is released next month but the display is off putting a little.
Does anyone have any recommendations that would have the following:

Good quality processor (Quad if possible to ensure smooth quick operation)
Good screen (Similar to Nexus 7 specs)
SD slot
Bluetooth
Play store capable
Small form factor (Below 8")
Half decent battery life a must
Charge through micro USB so I can take one charger with me (Samsung phones)

Not bothered about cost
Not bothered about 3G
Not really too bothered about weight but don't want anything really chunky.

So any thoughts/recommendations?

umari

May 18, 2013
Hi!
I want me a new android tablet screen size 9.7 inch I struggle between these options

1) Onda v973
2) Plows momo19hd
3) TECLAST a10hd
4) Aoson m33

Which is the best tablet price must be below 300 usd and have retina display.
If you know of anyone other than these, I'm open to suggestions

thanks

hammerhead13

Aug 25, 2010
I am looking for a 7" or Larger Tablet w/ Front Facing camera for Skype or Video Chat. Looking for something with a good rep but cheap <$100.
Any info is appreciated.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
You may want to take a look at the Hisense Sero 7 Lt. It's a Chinese tablet that went on sale Friday at Walmart for $99. Dgstorm introduced it then in his thread and included the company's press release. Although it's their first tablet, the specs are really impressive. Good luck.

Ed

Last edited:

DealSeeker

May 26, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a 7" or 8" Android 16GB/32GB tablet to read PDFs and occasionally watch youtube/netflix and listen to audio. It should have a quality IPS screen with good resolution. I do not care about gaming on a tablet or video chat or gps or bluetooth or g3. I intend to only use it at home. What are the best Chinese tablets currently on the market? I'm looking for a quality product that won't break for no reason and I'd like to spend under $200.

Thanks

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi DealSeeker.

IMHO, your best bet right now would be the Hisense Sero 7 PRO. It covers all your needs, except for the fact that it only comes with 8GB of onboard memory. But, at Walmart's price of only $149., it's a great deal. After all, you're also getting Mini HDMI, SD and USB ports. The other downside is that this is the Chinese company's first foray into Android tablets, so it has no track record. However, from what I've read here in the last 6 months as a member, the underlying theme regarding Chinese tabs seems to be BUYER BEWARE.

Ed

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I share your caution in buying a Chinese tablet. However, if the price point for the new Nexus 7 remains inflated, I would consider the new Acer Iconia A1 going on sale at $169. for 8GB and $199. for the 16GB version.

cookoospite

May 30, 2013
Hi, I am looking for a cheap tablet to stream films on and catch up tv. I only have a little net book and the buffering is so bad that it is pointless trying to watch anything! I want something that's fast enough that buffering won't drive me up the wall (processor power on net book is rubbish) and a screen 8-10 inches but apart from that I'm not fussy. I would prefer the android interface that can get the latest updates but if it affects the price greatly then I can live without it.

My net book works fine for all my other needs and I have a smartphone. So what's the cheapest I can get away with? Old models, obscure brands are not a problem. Budget approx £100. (obviously at that price I realise it's going to be second hand.)

Thanks.

----USB and connectivity to TV would be nice.

fitz101

Jun 3, 2013
Hello All,

I am in need of a tablet. I will try to answer the 5 core questions that this thread was created on.

1) I'm currently a Crossfit trainer and will be using the tablet for training purposes. So, ideally, I require a tablet that can take good video recording of a client while working out (so we can replay proper technique and improper technique), be able to play this video back onto a tv (i understand I will likely need an adapter to do so) and have memory slots or a usb port so I can at least save information on another drive.

I am also looking at using the Audio Evolution Mobile App for editing music depending on what type of workout we will be doing for the day. I don't know if I would really require a high performance tablet to do so?

2) I'm not to worried about the price.

3) As far as the size goes, I would like to stay around the 10" mark.

4) By no means am I a computer genius, but I do have experience around linux based systems.

5) I'm in Southern Indiana.

Thanks for all the help!

-Aron

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Aron and welcome to the forum! Just a couple of observations, if you don't mind....I think it's kind of uncomfortable to shoot a video with a 10" tablet, even to take a picture for that matter! If after you shoot the video you are going to watch it on a tv screen , why just don't get a phone/tablet like a Galaxy note so you still have a big screen to play it back...I believe there are other phone,/tablets due to come out soon if you don't want the note. With the note also you can use the pen and correct any pictures you take , which in your case I think would be useful!

Azezel

Jun 3, 2013
Hello Everyone, I've been looking at tablets for awhile I even got one as a Graduation present from my mom but it was a cheap one because she didn't want to spend more then 100$ I'm hoping I can get a better price and a better tablet soon though. What I had was a Wondermedia M729 from China as a Doorbuster from the nomorerack website. It was an okay tablet when it worked but when I downloaded apps like "Sims Freeplay" or "My Monster Hunter" The tablet would freeze and not go anywhere and when I tried to go into settings or anything it would only load halfway. I'm returning the tablet sometime but now I'm looking for a better one.

I am not looking for a Nexus 7 mainly because it doesn't have a Micro SD slot and I'm not into being stuck with whatever size I get.
I'm looking for anything between 7 - 9 inches as long is it can play a majority of games and I'm able to watch Netflix and have Google Play because I have a remaining balance in my google wallet. It doesn't have to have dual cameras but it would be nice if I ever feel like taking a picture of something. And Wi-Fi pretty much everything my Wondermedia M729 was able to do but you know but better. I've read about the new Hisense Sero 7 not the cheap one the more expensive one that is supposedly has more to offer than a Nexus 7 I know it's made in China but in this day age what isn't? I've also heard some people have had problems with the more expensive one like HDMI problems. I've been looking at tons of tablets online but I haven't made a decision because it's either tablets I find out can't use Google Play or the majority of Chinese Tablets out there. My price range is 100$ to 180$ Does anyone think they can help?

These are the specs of my old tablet

EDIT: I'm also looking for a tablet with G-Sensor as well so I can play games like Temple Run.
Also the Battery Life would be nice if it's as long as my old tablet.

&#8226; Model: M729 &#8226; Android 4.0 OS &#8226; 1.2GHz [WM8850 Cortex A9 1.2GHz] &#8226; 7" resistive touchscreen--800 x 480 resolution &#8226; Mini USB port, HDMI output &#8226; Front camera: 0.3MP &#8226; WiFi support: 802.11 b/g/n &#8226; RAM: DDR III 512 MB, 4-way G-sensor &#8226; Memory: 4GB storage; external micro-SD card 1GB to 32GB supported &#8226; Rechargeable polymer lithium battery &#8226; Voltage: 7.4V &#8226; Battery life: more than 6.5hrs &#8226; Measures 7.62" x 4.75" x 0.37" &#8226; Weighs: 0.75lbs

Last edited: