The Prime - HELP! Apple Keyboard / PDF Reader

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
I have been quite pleased with the iPad 2. But, I'm Android curious, so I am giving the Prime a try. I really wanted to like it... Boy am I disappointed :(

Give me some help here:

1. My Apple Wireless keyboard doesn't work. Tried Bluekeyboard JP (keeps ending up "Disconnected") and Bluetooth Keyboard Easy Connect. No luck at all. I could buy a new keyboard, but I know I won't. Is this just not going to work?

2. Reading PDFs on it is not fun. Why is it so jerky? Why is it so slow to load? There must be an app out there that works well.

I really do want to like the tablet. How can it have all of these cores and be so much trouble for these two tasks that I want to use it for? Looking for help here. Thanks!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Congrats on your Prime.

Apple Keyboards and Android do not play nicely together for some reason. They get confused in the bluetooth handshake somewhere. I highly recommend the keyboard dock. It adds battery life, and makes it like a netbook. Not quite a full sized keyboard, but I rarely use my TF101 without the keyboard.

As far as PDF, check out Aldiko and ezPDF. They are much better than the Polaris PDF reader, and better than the Adobe app.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good advice above on the PDF apps. Also several of the office suite apps will handle PDF.

As far as the Apple keyboard it will work with Android but the pairing process is a little different than with other bluetooth keyboards. A search should help you here. Some tablets experience slight lag with BT keyboards so that may still be an issue that the first party dock might solve although at an extra expense.

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the advice!

1. Trying not to pay money for apps yet. Not sure if I'm going to invest in this environment or not. I'm not looking for much with the PDF reader. I really just want speed. Will EzPDF help me out in this regard?
2. No luck with the BT keyboard. Lots of searching around, but nothing. Ugh. I got it to pair. But, I cannot select it, I cannot type anything, and it is useless. I am not terribly keen on the idea of buying another keyboard, so I doubt I'll be getting the Prime one.

fredgar

Feb 10, 2012
The dock for the prime is great. It has USB and an extra sdcard slot. I love mine.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012

maybe. maybe. but, i'm not investing in another keyboard until i'm sure i'm going to stick with the android. if i can get the reading experience and the bluetooth keyboard right, i can see making this work...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the advice!

1. Trying not to pay money for apps yet. Not sure if I'm going to invest in this environment or not. I'm not looking for much with the PDF reader. I really just want speed. Will EzPDF help me out in this regard?
2. No luck with the BT keyboard. Lots of searching around, but nothing. Ugh. I got it to pair. But, I cannot select it, I cannot type anything, and it is useless. I am not terribly keen on the idea of buying another keyboard, so I doubt I'll be getting the Prime one.

EzPDF has always worked well for me and is worth a try. I haven't loaded anything large into it though.

If using Bluekeyboard JP once you have the keyboard paired, open an app such as email with a place to type. Long press (hold your finger there) until a menu pops up and then select bluekeyboard as the input method.

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
i'll think about ezpdf.

as for bluekeyboard jp, "connecting... please don't touch keyboard" goes to disconnected. i have uninstalled the app and re-installed it. i've turned bluetooth off and on. turned the keyboard off and on. i've selected the keyboard several times in the settings, but no luck. very frustrating...

as for the asus keyboard, it really does look like a fine item, but it is a lot more money than i want to spend ($0) on a new keyboard. i might shell out something for an alternative bluetooth keyboard, but at the moment, i am not keen on the thought. i suppose, if i could convince myself that this will be a good ereader for me, then i will see...

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
downloaded ezpdf. it's not bad. it is not as fast as i'd like, though. somewhat less functional than apps like iannotate (ios) as well. i have some thinking to do. i don't know yet what to do about the keyboard.

fredgar

Feb 10, 2012
downloaded ezpdf. it's not bad. it is not as fast as i'd like, though. somewhat less functional than apps like iannotate (ios) as well. i have some thinking to do. i don't know yet what to do about the keyboard.
I promise if you get the dock you will not regret it. It gives you a usb, mouse pad, and sdcard reader. Not to mention if you root your prime then it will run cwm recovery. In my mind well worth the $150. I find myself trying to use touch screen on my pc. aswell as the keyboard.