The secret to seeing a 32GB MicroSD card when tablet is plugged into PC?

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
So I got a Sandisk 32 GB MicroSD card today and formatted it in my PC to fat32. When I put it into the A500, it sees it, I can copy a folder to it via File Manager on the A500, but when I plug the unit into a PC, the only thing that shows up is the 16GB internal storage. Am I missing something or can you just not do this?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
We can't do it, yet. Hopefully we'll get an update that allows this. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to call or email Acer and ask about it, so it'll be on their radar (I already have and was told it'll be addressed, but they could have been blowing me off...)

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
Well, at least it's not just my imagination or incompetence or a combination thereof :) Incidentally, putting the card in a card reader and accessing it that way works fine and dandy...

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Exactly. That's what we've been advised to do. People get frustrated that they can't plug the tablet in and have your pc find it, but that was one of the things that was disclosed before the tablet was released (at least, I saw it in a few reviews.) I just use my flash drive and transfer things from there to the micro sd card or the A500.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
It says this on the quick start guide that came with the tablet.
Though... Im not trying to be a jerk about it because I didnt even read that thing until like day 3... and only because I was bored. LMAO.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
IMO, it doesn't matter if it's in the manual or on a few reviews, this kind of thing is supposed to work. I'm not sure if this is an Acer problem though. It could be a HC problem.

Does anyone know if Acer is planning to update to the next increment of HC? 3.1?

spexwood

May 11, 2011
IMO, it doesn't matter if it's in the manual or on a few reviews, this kind of thing is supposed to work. I'm not sure if this is an Acer problem though. It could be a HC problem.

Does anyone know if Acer is planning to update to the next increment of HC? 3.1?

I do agree. It is annoying to have to take the card out all the time. My phone can do, so why not my tablet?

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
I use WiFi File Explorer from the Market - a couple of $ but well worth it for several reasons.
1. You can see not only the internal SD Card but also USB_Storage and External_SD as well as other internal stuff
2. You can upload/rename/delete/zip files on all storage
and perhaps the best - saves wear and tear on ports - on some of this Chinese stuff the ports/pins/buttons, etc are flimsy and I'm
always afraid that they are the weak link in the hardware.

Jress

May 9, 2011
I use WiFi File Explorer from the Market - a couple of $ but well worth it for several reasons.
1. You can see not only the internal SD Card but also USB_Storage and External_SD as well as other internal stuff
2. You can upload/rename/delete/zip files on all storage
and perhaps the best - saves wear and tear on ports - on some of this Chinese stuff the ports/pins/buttons, etc are flimsy and I'm
always afraid that they are the weak link in the hardware.

Great find! This works good..

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

seanote

Dec 1, 2011
I bought a 16gb USB drive that is only about 1/2" long. it sticks out of the usb drive a little, but you really don't notice it and never gets in the way. love it. You can write to it when Acer is cabled to the pc and is easy to remove and share files with friends. Documents To Go will read the files on the usb drive also.

Rick