The Web is Dead, Long Live the Web

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Last year, with much fanfare Wired Magazine declared the web dead, stating that the classic "WWW" addresses and Internet interaction was dead and was being replaced with Apps on smart devices that accessed content and services directly. At the time it certainly seemed that this would be the case, as more and more apps first for iPhone and iPads hit the Apple Store, followed closely by the explosive growth of Android and the Google Market.

Now, with the new services announcements from Apple and Google, it looks like they may have done away with this trend, returning us all to the realm of HTML5. Apple has announced that effective June 30 providers will no longer be able to embed links for subscription services into their content, and the only way they will be able to deliver subscriptions will be through the Apple Store. In return for this level of control they will provide this service at a 30% vig (commission) to Apple. Google responded with a similar plan, but decided that they would only charge 10%, much better, right?

Well no, not in my opinion. Since providers can opt to simply bypass these services entirely and provide content via web browsers, unless Apple and Google change their tunes why would they develop apps that are subject to these constraints? Apple also wants to have control over subscriber data, which coupled with their outrageous fee structure seems to me to smack of exactly the kind of Big Brother tactics Cupertino and Jobs railed against in the early days.

Both of these behemoths need to take a lesson from the credit card industry and look at their fee structures. Sub 5% at the most for commissions, taking volume over percentage is the better path here. Failure to do otherwise I believe we will see a move back toward fully web-based applications and content delivery and the end of purpose-specific applications.

Thoughts? Comments? Let me know what you think!

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
30% commission in any industry is extremely high... an acceptable rate is 10% - 15%. It's not surprising that companies want full control over devices they sell, it's how quite a lot of companies are going to and how some like Sony... are already at.

I personally think "WWW" is going no where, and the Wired article was way off. Tablets/Phones aren't close to taking over basic desktop/laptops at peoples main internet devices, therefore "WWW" is going to still be very needed and used. We are still at least 3 - 5 years before that is even close to a reality.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
30% commission in any industry is extremely high... an acceptable rate is 10% - 15%. It's not surprising that companies want full control over devices they sell, it's how quite a lot of companies are going to and how some like Sony... are already at.

I don't necessarily disagree, as long as the commission is being paid for a service provided. There must be a value return to the customer. If that value is simply the market reach provided by Google and Apple, then fine if that is the premium that developers want to pay.

I personally think "WWW" is going no where, and the Wired article was way off. Tablets/Phones aren't close to taking over basic desktop/laptops at peoples main internet devices, therefore "WWW" is going to still be very needed and used. We are still at least 3 - 5 years before that is even close to a reality.

Going no where may be exactly correct. I don't see it disappearing anytime soon myself, but I also don't think it is the huge growth channel that it has been for the previous decade. I think it will be stagnant in terms of gaining share.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I don't necessarily disagree, as long as the commission is being paid for a service provided. There must be a value return to the customer. If that value is simply the market reach provided by Google and Apple, then fine if that is the premium that developers want to pay.

Very true, and you do have a point there.