Think your Acer GPS is bad?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
If you wanna have a decent gps, then you need to remove some metal on the back and place the gps antenna in this area. apple does this and the transformer 1 had a plastic back and good gps.

but yes, this really sucks for Asus....what kind of engineering are they doing over there? They all should feel very embarrassed.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well, I haven't had any problems. Just the usual where even a standalone GPS wa having the same problem - go figure!

stankopp

Sep 28, 2011
If you wanna have a decent gps, then you need to remove some metal on the back and place the gps antenna in this area. apple does this and the transformer 1 had a plastic back and good gps.

but yes, this really sucks for Asus....what kind of engineering are they doing over there? They all should feel very embarrassed.

I don't think it's a hardware issue.

My GPS worked fairly well until the 3.2 upgrade. I have had ROMS in which the GPS did not work at all. I am running Thor's 3.2.1_v1.42 ROM and I find as many as 13 satellites inside my house and lock-on in seconds. If it were a hardware issue, no change in firmware would have any effect...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
In the case of the ASUS it is definitively a hardware issue. They built the entire thing out of aluminum and located the GPS chip way down in the bottom of the unit shielded from the plastic bezel which houses all the other antennas.

And, (follow along now) if you read the linked story, they (ASUS) tried to fix it with firmware, but couldn't, so now they have simply removed the GPS from the specs, even though its still built into the tablet. This story has nothing to do with Acer.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
In the case of the ASUS it is definitively a hardware issue. They built the entire thing out of aluminum and located the GPS chip way down in the bottom of the unit shielded from the plastic bezel which houses all the other antennas.

And, (follow along now) if you read the linked story, they (ASUS) tried to fix it with firmware, but couldn't, so now they have simply removed the GPS from the specs, even though its still built into the tablet. This story has nothing to do with Acer.

Yep, time to pop out the dremel, some plastic and some glue ;)

ripperduggan

Dec 31, 2011
I totally agree I think that the G.P.S. is by far the worst feature on this tablet! I've tried everything, someone told me to go outside and that it may take up to 20mins. So I did that, didn't work and standing outside in Toronto, Canada its below freezing. I love have weather apps and I can't use them because honestly I don't want my home town being somewhere in a different coutry. Whatever you do DONT DO THE FACTORY RESET IT DOSENT WORK!!!! Its not your tablet.. Hoping some 1 will come up w an answer SOON..

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I totally agree I think that the G.P.S. is by far the worst feature on this tablet! I've tried everything, someone told me to go outside and that it may take up to 20mins. So I did that, didn't work and standing outside in Toronto, Canada its below freezing. I love have weather apps and I can't use them because honestly I don't want my home town being somewhere in a different coutry. Whatever you do DONT DO THE FACTORY RESET IT DOSENT WORK!!!! Its not your tablet.. Hoping some 1 will come up w an answer SOON..

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

What tablet are you talking about?

This story is about the ASUS Transformer Prime.

You are posting from your A500.

A500s do not have a GPS problem.

Please be specific.