Thinking About a Smartphone Replacement

jamesson

Nov 24, 2013
Howdy folks

New to the android world.

I'm thinking about a smartphone replacement, something small enough to go on my belt or at least in a large pants pocket. No games, just network connectivity with light web, maybe video, maybe skype. Generally just text and email. Dual cameras would be nice, if not 2 at least one, but I don't insist on it. I don't want to pay more than $100, optimally less than $75. What do you guys recommend?

I really like the dell streak, for instance. Anybody have one?

Does anybody have experionce with OCR from the cameras, btw? If so, what is the minimum recommended resolution for that?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

cali

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sep 25, 2011
Welcome to the site. Are you looking for a phone or a tablet? If you are in the market for a phone you might want to visit one of the sister sites that feature phones. Droid Forums dot net for Verizon phones (mainly) and android dot net, are both sites that include phone info. Also there are several sites devoted to various phone or tablet families. Look at the bottom of the site pages and you could find some direct links here. This site focuses on tablets. Either way, you have a lot to choose from!

jamesson

Nov 24, 2013
Welcome to the site. Are you looking for a phone or a tablet? If you are in the market for a phone you might want to visit one of the sister sites that feature phones. Droid Forums dot net for Verizon phones (mainly) and android dot net, are both sites that include phone info. Also there are several sites devoted to various phone or tablet families. Look at the bottom of the site pages and you could find some direct links here. This site focuses on tablets. Either way, you have a lot to choose from!

Definitely I want a tablet. I have no interest in paying for wireless broadband every month or having my phone and tablet in one unit (in case one breaks). If the price is significantly cheaper I may still look at phones, but for now I only want a tablet.

My main problem, as I said, is that most phones are too small for me and most tablets are too big. I am looking for something in the same form factor as dell streak. Big enough to take decent notes on, small enough to fit on a belt.

Thanks again

Joe

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!