Thinking of buying an S7

kichigai

Feb 13, 2011
Hello all,

I am rather new to the whole Android scene and I have a few questions about the S7 and Android in general.

1. Why have a rarely heard about this unit in the US. Why?

2. I have heard that there is not really that much storage space for the apps. Can I overcome that issue with a SD card and if I can what is the largest card the S7 can support?

3. Also, I have heard about the upgrade to 2.2 is on the way. Should I just buy one now or wait until the upgrade actually comes out?

4. Does the unit have the real Google Marketplace or it is the AppLib like the Archos units?

5. I was thinking of getting one from the local Best Buy and I am wondering if I should go on a mad such for the model 105 or settle for the 104? What are the differences if the 105 actually exists?

and finally....

6. What are the current owners primary use for the S7?

Thanks

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
1. It is a brand that is usually rebranded by the Telcos
2. Pls read the threads on apps2sd
3. You can, but there is always something to wait for, right?
4. Has full Google market access
5. Not a lot
6. For me, web, mail and ereaders

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
1. It doesn't get advertised. And it sits next to the big boys (iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab), so people overlook it.
2. As above poster said, there is the apps2sd. I haven't used it yet cause the original storage has been sufficient thus far.
3. If you don't need a tablet right now, I would wait. Especially since the Mobile World Congress is happening tomorrow through Thursday, we expect to get some more news on Huawei's upcoming tablet and possible release dates, and info on other upcoming tablets that may be a better choice.
4. Full marketplace.
5. Not familiar with said models..
- Mobile internet
- Wireless music (connected to wireless speakers) around the house
- Remote Desktop from work
- Mobile TV (with Jetflicks app)
- Navigation
- Video chat (with Fring app)

kichigai

Feb 13, 2011
There is probably already an answer for this but I don't think I have dug deep enough to find it.

When I place my sim card in the S7 from my non-smartphone phone, will ATT "see" the S7 as a smartphone and switch me to one their limited data plans?

I have date on my phone currently but do not have the smartphone date plan?

Thanks

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It does get noticed, but people who review are either too stupid to use a resistive touchscreen, or don't know that turning off the phone radio results in much better battery life in wifi-only mode

kichigai

Feb 13, 2011
Can you have just the standard "dumbphone" plan or will you need a "smartphone" data plan?

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Since the first 5 have been answered not really much more to add so I will just answer two of them.

2 - There is a mod to get apps to SD, this is only an issue with apps, on the US version there is an 8GB internal card and you can add up to a 16GB card. So there is no problem with space on the tablet, the problem was for Apps there is only 183MB of space set up. Unless you put a lot of large apps on the tablet you are fine. I have a DroidX which has 8GB for apps (which is WAY to much, I have about 200 apps on it and only use 1.3GB for all of them)

6 - I use mine for a e-reader, watching movies, listening to music, social networking, web browsing and games. Oh and trying the new mods that some of the smarter people come up with.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
It does get noticed, but people who review are either too stupid to use a resistive touchscreen, or don't know that turning off the phone radio results in much better battery life in wifi-only mode

Problem is the only way I've found to turn off the phone radio is to go to airplane mode. This is a non-starter for me because in airplane mode while you can turn WiFi back on, I can't turn bluetooth back on (which is a necessity for me for portable use). Is there something I'm missing. Too stupid here in DC...

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I could not find a way to turn off the radio through the normal menus, but I use a widget called Dazzle and it has the option to turn off the radio. It is a real nice widget on the market that is free to control what is running, wifi, bluetooth, GPS, radio, sounds, auto sync, brightness and so on.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I could not find a way to turn off the radio through the normal menus, but I use a widget called Dazzle and it has the option to turn off the radio. It is a real nice widget on the market that is free to control what is running, wifi, bluetooth, GPS, radio, sounds, auto sync, brightness and so on.

Nice - will give it a try, thanx.

Sent from my Ideos S7

kichigai

Feb 13, 2011
I have seriously thinking of buying the S7 but I have one big thing holding me back from it and I cannot find answer to the following question anywhere....

If I connect my AT&T wireless sim card that I have data for, will AT&T network "see" the device as a smartphone and I will I be charged for smartphone service?

I am current on a family data plan and family data is considerably cheaper than the smartphone data plan

Can someone please answer the question?

Thanks

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
T-mobile are doing this, but, so far I believe ATT have held off so you use whatever plan you have on your SIM.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
You've asked this in three different threads! If you don't get an immediate answer it's not because we are ignoring you so be a little patient, please. I answered in your first post.