Thinking Of Returning It

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Yeah, I know, I've been rather a vocal and committed fan of the Vizio VTAB. And, as tablets go, I remain convinced it's a good value for the money. But...

The Android operating system and its apps... not so much. The included browser is only so-so. The available email apps: Likewise. The Facebook app is brain-dead. The phone apps nothing to write home about. The Map/Latitude/Navigation app all but worthless--w/o a chain of WiFi hotspots, and the alternate navigation software a joke (even if there was room to load the maps). And the operating system itself? If I'd wanted something as unstable as Microsoft Windows 9x, well... I could have bought something running Microsoft Windows 9x. Truly. I started documenting hangs and reboots on my wife's and my VTABs, but it turned out they come too frequently to bother.

Last night, the potential deal-breaker: Barnes and Noble's Nook Android app people apparently decided that "+" was not valid in an email address, resulting in locking me out of my tiny library. I'd had my doubts about the whole e-book thing, and this confirmed the worst of them. (Side note: B&N refuses to refund my purchase prices, so there's one company with which I'll never do business again.)

Then, to add frosting to the cake of annoyances: The wireless support went wonky (well, wonkier than normal) and gave me serious grief connecting to the network to which it had just been connected. Once I persuaded it to be sane again, Swift Key Tablet X proved to be happy to tell me an update was available for the U.S. English language pack, but refused to successfully download.

That's when history of all the warts and annoyances came together. Coupled with the fact I'll never trust e-books again, I'm now wondering "Why, exactly, do I want to keep this thing?" $300 (tablet + accessory pack) may not be that much to many of you, but I can do a lot with it.

I haven't decided, because I realize much of the annoyance is with Barnes & Nobel, but I'm thinking about it...

Jim

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
You can easily change the email address associated with your B&N account at the bn.com website. Sounds like a programmer got to strict validating the user email.

As far as the other issues:

No WiFi only device will be able to use Google maps effectively. By effectively - I mean as well as a device with a constant data connection. That is true of any WiFi only device.

As far as the FB app - it's my opinion that FB is brain dead. But to each their own, my wife and kids use it everyday.

I have not had an issue with the WiFi connection on our VTAB, so that might be something you want to address with Vizio.

I think that the problem with Latitude and satellite view in Google maps is the lack of memory on the VTAB.

Our VTAB is stable and I can not remember any spontaneous reboots.

There are many alternative browsers out there, including Firefox and Opera. I like the stock Android browser and use it most of the time.

For email I recommend K-9 which can be a pain to set up, but works well. Most Android devices do not play well with exchange servers or sync with Outlook easily.

In the end you have to be happy with the device, if your aren't then return it.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
Yeah, I know, I've been rather a vocal and committed fan of the Vizio VTAB. And, as tablets go, I remain convinced it's a good value for the money. But...

The Android operating system and its apps... not so much. The included browser is only so-so. The available email apps: Likewise. The Facebook app is brain-dead. The phone apps nothing to write home about. The Map/Latitude/Navigation app all but worthless--w/o a chain of WiFi hotspots, and the alternate navigation software a joke (even if there was room to load the maps). And the operating system itself? If I'd wanted something as unstable as Microsoft Windows 9x, well... I could have bought something running Microsoft Windows 9x. Truly. I started documenting hangs and reboots on my wife's and my VTABs, but it turned out they come too frequently to bother.

Last night, the potential deal-breaker: Barnes and Noble's Nook Android app people apparently decided that "+" was not valid in an email address, resulting in locking me out of my tiny library. I'd had my doubts about the whole e-book thing, and this confirmed the worst of them. (Side note: B&N refuses to refund my purchase prices, so there's one company with which I'll never do business again.)

Then, to add frosting to the cake of annoyances: The wireless support went wonky (well, wonkier than normal) and gave me serious grief connecting to the network to which it had just been connected. Once I persuaded it to be sane again, Swift Key Tablet X proved to be happy to tell me an update was available for the U.S. English language pack, but refused to successfully download.

That's when history of all the warts and annoyances came together. Coupled with the fact I'll never trust e-books again, I'm now wondering "Why, exactly, do I want to keep this thing?" $300 (tablet + accessory pack) may not be that much to many of you, but I can do a lot with it.

I haven't decided, because I realize much of the annoyance is with Barnes & Nobel, but I'm thinking about it...

Jim

Jim,

Sounds like many of your problems and annoyances are B&N and Android annoyances (not all VTAB related).

I agree that the stock browser (this is an android program not vizio) is bad so I use Opera Mobile Web browser. This browser is so much better and the multitouch works nicely. I have also heard good things about Dolphin browser.

As for navigation, since the VTAB doesn't have 3G, the stock Google Navigation won't work (even though this is a great program) so we need to use a program that downloads maps.

I have used Sygic and loaded the state map. And yes, the map actually fit in the VTAB's limited memory space. I took it on the road with me and it actually worked really well. I have also heard that Co-Pilot works also (same thing, you need to download the maps)

I have not had any stability problems with WifFi. Perhaps this is a functional of the Wifi signal's strength. My Wifi modem is pretty close to where I usually use the VTAB.

It sounds like B&N really messed up (sounds like terrible customer service!). However, it seems to me that this would have occurred if you used another Android tablet or the Ipad. The B&N program and service would have been the same on other platforms.

Have you tried the Amazon Kindle app? My friends and family use this and love it. No problems with the service and you can even share books with other users.

All that being said, I might return my VTAB if the micro SDcard issue does not get fixed soon. I have run out of internal memory space after 3 weeks of use.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
You can easily change the email address associated with your B&N account at the bn.com website.
Of course I could have, but that misses the point: By making that change, Barnes & Nobel arbitrarily deprived me of access to books for which I'd paid. I had less than $20 invested. Now imagine having several hundred dollars invested. Imagine needing access to one of those books for some business or school need. Imagine you'd just got on a non-stop flight to Asia (those can be up to 20 hours or more) and discovered the problem.

If I buy a real book I have the book and somebody like Barnes & Nobel can't come along and arbitrarily deprive me of that book--whether due to distribution mistake on their part, as happened with Amazon, or due to clueless programmers in their employ.

Sounds like a programmer got to strict validating the user email.
Too strict by half. The truth is: Nearly anything is valid in an email address.

I used to be a software designer. For the past two decades or so I've been a Systems, Network and TelCom Admin. You would be amazed, and disheartened, to learn just how many truly clueless, incompetent programmers are out there.

No WiFi only device will be able to use Google maps effectively. By effectively - I mean as well as a device with a constant data connection. That is true of any WiFi only device.
Yes, I understand that. I understood that before buying the tablet. It is one of my arguments in cell phone vs. dedicated GPS debates. I was simply noting it for completeness. I.e.: It has Maps/Latitude/Navigation, but they're of little utility.

I have not had an issue with the WiFi connection on our VTAB, so that might be something you want to address with Vizio.
I'd have to address it with both my wife's and my VTABs, because they both behave in similar manners.

For email I recommend K-9 which can be a pain to set up, ...
That's what I'm using. It's just "ok." (Wasn't at all difficult to set up, for me.)

In the end you have to be happy with the device, if your aren't then return it.
I don't know as it's so much a case of not being happy with it, as, given the limitations and instabilities: I'm asking myself if there's any point to keeping it?

Jim,

Sounds like many of your problems and annoyances are B&N and Android annoyances (not all VTAB related).
I think it's a combination of all three.

I agree that the stock browser (this is an android program not vizio) is bad so I use ...
Eh. It's not "bad," per se. It's just not all that great. Probably more a question of device limitations than anything else. If I decide to keep the tablet, perhaps I'll try one of the others.

As for navigation, ...

I have used Sygic and loaded the state map. And yes, the map actually fit in the VTAB's limited memory space. I took it on the road with me and it actually worked really well. I have also heard that Co-Pilot works also (same thing, you need to download the maps)
I have researched those. And even considered installing them. Multiple times. Then I read the reviews. If somebody such as Garmin or TomTom had an app that was complete and got good reviews, I'd be willing to pay for it. But they do not. The existing alternatives are not acceptable to me.

I have not had any stability problems with WifFi. Perhaps this is a functional of the Wifi signal's strength.
It seems to be independent of signal strength or any other factor.

It sounds like B&N really messed up (sounds like terrible customer service!).
Indeed.

If they'd apologized, acknowledged the flaw and promised to get a new version of the app out toute de suite, I'd have been mollified.

If they'd refunded my purchase prices (which I preferred), I'd still be a customer. Dead tree books only, but still a customer. As it is: All Barnes & Nobel domains are now blacklisted at home and I've eradicated Barnes & Nobel from all my systems and devices.

If they'd offered me store credit for my purchase prices: See above.

However, it seems to me that this would have occurred if you used another Android tablet or the Ipad. The B&N program and service would have been the same on other platforms.
Yes. The problem, as I clarified above, is that I now no longer trust e-books or their distributors.

Have you tried the Amazon Kindle app?
Not likely going to happen. See above. Once burned, twice shy. And Amazon has had their share of customers with experiences not completely dissimilar to mine with B&N.

All that being said, I might return my VTAB if the micro SDcard issue does not get fixed soon.
Vizio's silence on this issue is another factor affecting my attitude.

Even if, say, TomTom, did come out with an acceptable app tomorrow: There's a good chance I wouldn't even be able to use it--unless they'd had the foresight to allow map storage in "non-standard" locations.

In summary: I remain convinced that the VTAB is a good value for the money, for many people, just maybe not for me? My wife's still happy with hers.

Jim

dornstar

Sep 3, 2011
Have you actually had an app not work because of the SD card location? I haven't.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
Ive had 2 so far that wont work, I'm returning it monday. The main reason I bought it was to use it for Droid Tv Primetime and it wont work and neither Vizio or the app dev can give me an answer why. So back it goes.