This is for Coby Kyros 7022 ONLY!!! (change app data space to 1GB) More apps!

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
I've had this for close to a year and it's very great to have 1gb for apps. You will have to format your tablet and reflash your rom but I think it's worth it and I know you will like it too.

You will need to have a copy of ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on your pc that works on the tablet. I suggest instead of the recovery, to have the fwdn image of CM7, this is better because it installs both the recovery and CM7.

FYI this will erase all your tablet including internal sdcard. I suggest you have backup of all your media and your app if you want.

This is a very sensitive procedure. Read it at least 2 times before you start and make sure you understand it.

Once you do this there is no turning back. Beware, if you do something wrong this can brick your tablet. I'm not responsive for damages caused by your decisions and/or actions nor am I resposible for the cause of a nuclear explosion that your tablet causes.

-Download the following zip file:
kyros_7022_lkrom.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Alexis Diaz
-Extract the contents anywhere you like. You should have 1 folder, 1 software, and 1 lk.rom file.
-Open the trieber folder and install your telechips driver right click run as administrator.
x86 is there (treiber 5.0 x86bit) and the 64 bit is in a folder called VTC Driver Installer etc. (dpinst for install setup). Double click on the one that pertains to your windows version.
-After installion finishes, double click on the FWDN_Software_2_13 file, you should have it open
-Shutdown your tablet.
-While turning on your tablet hold the HOME button.
-You should see a screen with something saying "FWDN".
-Plug the tablet to your pc with the usb cable and don't unplug it until I say so!!!
-In the opened fwdn software a notification might come up. "Nand partition change detected. It will erase whole Nand" this will completely delete all your device files: system, boot, data, user data, cache, dalvik, including all you file on the internal memory. Make sure you have backups of you music, pictures, blahblahblah. Click "OK" to proceed
- the process dialog box should turn green once its finished or it should tell that it's finished
-Click the "..." button. Now select the lk.rom file within your workspace folder.
-Click "add file" button. Now you should have the lk.rom file inside the grid. Make sure it is checked and selected.
-Switch from "Default Download" to "Low format whole memory before download"
-Click "Start" and wait until the first part is done.
-Unmark or delete (press the delete button on keyboard) the lk.rom file.
-Now click on NAND DATA and click the "..." button, save the file somewhere easily accessible.
-Click "Create Image" =it finishes and says something like this "MAKE FAT IMAGE SUCCESS" press "OK"
-Press "..." button and select the recovery.img ClockworkMod (CWM) file that you have. Click "add file". (I suggest you download the cm7 fwdn zip and flash the file tc8803mtd.img (-this will flash both cm7 and cwm recovery-) file and add it instead of the recovery. It is better to flash a rom rather than a recovery image.)
-Check mark the .img file
- Also add the nand file that you saved earlier and select it as well
-There should be 2 files inside the fwdn software grid
-Make sure both are check/selected
-Change from "Low format whole memory before download" back to "Default Download"
-Press the "Start" button
-Wait until the window turns green and press the reset button on your tablet.
-If you did it correctly you should be able to boot to recovery or cm7.

If this was succesful and it booted to CM7 then you can flash the ICS update.

This is exactly the procedure that I did and I have 1gb for apps on my tablet.

Oh my freaking chicken nuggets, that was a lot of typing. Corrections made and thread updated.

Attachments

• $ForumRunner_20120626_184939.png
    $ForumRunner_20120626_184939.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 6,628
Last edited:

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
First of all let me say, you're not getting paid for this so I thank you for all the effort you've put in thus far, it is appreciated. There's a few things that are missing which confuse me and I've tried a number of options and none have worked so a bit of help is appreciated.

First, please indicate which 7022 this is for, the realtek or the atheros wifi.
Second, if you use the home button, it goes into FWDN not fastboot as you indicate, so which is it? I assume FWDN, so please change that.
Third, your "Press "..." button and select the recovery.img ClockworkMod (CWM) file that you have. Click "add file". (I suggest you download the cm7 fwdn img file and add it instead of the recovery alone. It is better to flash a rom rather than a recovery image.)" is difficult. It's either: tc8803mtd.img (IMG file) OR lk.androtab.rom (ROM file) located in the cm7 fwdn img file you recommend (file here original website here) which has both the img AND rom file inside. What isn't clear is which you want: the lk.androtab.rom or the tc8803mtd.img (or both?) as the second file before your nand backup img we made in the previous step.

Please clairify these because I did both and now I just have 'cat stargate' splash screen and it hangs.
Thanks

Last edited:

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
First of all let me say, you're not getting paid for this so I thank you for all the effort you've put in thus far, it is appreciated. There's a few things that are missing which confuse me and I've tried a number of options and none have worked so a bit of help is appreciated.

First, please indicate which 7022 this is for, the realtek or the atheros wifi.
Second, if you use the home button, it goes into FWDN not fastboot as you indicate, so which is it? I assume FWDN, so please change that.
Third, your "Press "..." button and select the recovery.img ClockworkMod (CWM) file that you have. Click "add file". (I suggest you download the cm7 fwdn img file and add it instead of the recovery alone. It is better to flash a rom rather than a recovery image.)" is difficult. It's either: tc8803mtd.img (IMG file) OR lk.androtab.rom (ROM file) located in the cm7 fwdn img file you recommend (file here original website here) which has both the img AND rom file inside. What isn't clear is which you want: the lk.androtab.rom or the tc8803mtd.img (or both?) as the second file before your nand backup img we made in the previous step.

Please clairify these because I did both and now I just have 'cat stargate' splash screen and it hangs.
Thanks

First of all, sorry for any issues you're having.
1.The lk.rom file within the downloadable zip should be compatible with both wifi devices. I have the 7022-4G if you want to know.
2.You are correct, Pressing/holding the home button takes you to FWDN (although I call it fastboot because it's I've gotten used to) I'll correct it, so thanks for the correction
3.After succefully flashing the lk.rom file from my download zip you can either flash recovery (to flash you prefered rom) or I suggest to flash cm7 because it is the only compatible rom that has .img flashable. Since you recenltly flashed an lk.rom file it would be better to test run the effect. Besides, you'll get clockworkmod installed if you flash the tc8803mtd.img file.
FYI the .rom files inside the cm7 fwdn zip only expand the storage space of the 7022 to 512mb the one in my download zip gives you 1gb which in my opinion, "more space means more games/apps".

The good thing is that you did not brick your tablet. Getting the stargate bootup screen means that the flash was a success and that you read the thread before doing the process.

Again sorry for the blur but I created this thread with my phone.

One more thing, if you are able boot to a rom, which you should after flashing the tc8803mtd.img file, take a pic so people can see that it works not only on my device. I always make sure everything works or atleast everything before I release it.

Anyways, just flash the cm7 tc8803mtd.img file and let it boot. Afterwards just flash the ics update or whatever rom you want from cwm recovery.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Alrighty - some progress (I guess). Got ICS to work, touchscreen works, wifi...sort of works. I can 'see' the network that my mac is allowed on, but can't connect to it (ip will not take). I have not tried any of the other things, but I am pleased to have gotten this far, thinking perhaps I can get back to 2.3.3 and then work from there.

Update - Sadly I cannot, as the 2.3.3 says to me the same thing 'forced close' which occured when I accidentally installed google play - which caused the issue in the first place. Any help would be great.

New Update: Followed exactly your directions, then went into cwm, and restored the backup from this file, and holy crap it works! Camera, check. Wifi, Check, external sd card - sees it in settings/storage - but not in es file explorer. Not sure why. Will try another file explorer and see if that one works.

Last edited:

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
More edits - Root explorer works, as does MOST of my apps. Going to see if I can edit the build.prop again to make it look la GT-i9300.

Oddly, the icon sizes are insanely small. I've used LCD Density Modder (had it already in the past) to modify to 240 from 120. Also noticed a significant lag when turning screen (portrait to landscape takes a second to turn, blank screen then adjusts)

Edit: Editing the build.prop doesn't change anything - changed it to a droid3, nexus s, and htc desire - still nothing. Sigh.

Last edited:

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
Are you able to access the internal memory (the memory used for storage not for system)?
You should have about 2.5 gbs left because the lk.rom file that you flash from my zip expands the app storage but shrinks the internal memory.
To make sure you can use the internal storage go to settings (in the rom you are using) storage/memory and it should read something like my preview.
Btw this only affects the storage and leaves the rest intact. The CM7 rom that you flash has some things not working. You should be able to flash the ics update that we have in these threads. I have the newest one with gapps but I need to fix several things first before I upload it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
I will verify this when I get home. I have google play app already, so I'm not sure if I need to install any other updates?

I would really REALLY like to get this stupid activation serial popup gone. It's frustrating. I definatly wouldn't mind flashing that one off.

Last edited:

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
I already looked into that but it is incorporated within the framework apk. I tried editing it but the problem is that recompiling it and pushing it to the system only gives force closes. Only way would be to edit all the system apks to be compatible with the edited framework or to get the source of the rom and remove that before compressing.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
FYI if you are bothered by the serial number dialog just install my CM9 port it removes that.

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Verified, Same storage specs as you.

Also, I dont mean to be a dick, but this 'stargate' splash screen is really getting on my nerves. It takes a long time to load the initial screen so I'm stuck holding my power button for 5 seconds before it even turns on. There is nothing wrong with my power button as when I get into the tablet I can quick press it and it works flawlessly. Did you happen to edit the lk.rom to require a 3 or 5 second delay before turning on? Also I'd like to find out if there is a way to switch it back to the coby screen?

Thanks man!

Edit, know what I miss about honeycomb? Our volume button on the screen...I also dislike the sidebars...and the fact that there is no 'reboot' option when powering down.

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
Verified, Same storage specs as you.

Also, I dont mean to be a dick, but this 'stargate' splash screen is really getting on my nerves. It takes a long time to load the initial screen so I'm stuck holding my power button for 5 seconds before it even turns on. There is nothing wrong with my power button as when I get into the tablet I can quick press it and it works flawlessly. Did you happen to edit the lk.rom to require a 3 or 5 second delay before turning on? Also I'd like to find out if there is a way to switch it back to the coby screen?

Thanks man!

Edit, know what I miss about honeycomb? Our volume button on the screen...I also dislike the sidebars...and the fact that there is no 'reboot' option when powering down.

If the booting time takes long then it means that you have a problem with the kernel boot file. Just reflash the rom. The lk.rom file only changes the partition and the splash screen it doesn't affect anything else. The side effects are most likely the rom you are using. Unless coby releases their source the splashscreen cannot be undone, sorry.
If you are using ICS (the stock ics update) it has not been modified on for the G-apps, it would be great to have the volume buttons on the statusbar next to the home, back, etc. but we have no source so modding will be difficult. I've tried porting mods from other tablets but all force close the statusbar.

jess.mikey

Jul 9, 2012
I did this exactly as you said and now it says I have like 200mb flat... No secondary partition. What do I do?!

jess.mikey

Jul 9, 2012
Okay so I got just about everything working... Except it doesn't recognize the SD as an sd.... I cannot use my camera... Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
Okay so I got just about everything working... Except it doesn't recognize the SD as an sd.... I cannot use my camera... Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

If you flashed cm7 the camera does not work. You should flash another rom if you want the camera working.