Thor A500 ROM v14.2 - Android 3.2.1

HD87

May 14, 2011
Best ROM I've installed on my a500, & I've tested them all (HoneyVillain, Taboonay, Flexspeed, Lightspeed, etc..)
If you know how to flash a ROM, get it!

Thor A500 ROM v14.2 – Android 3.2.1 « TegraOwners – Nvidia Tegra2 & MultiCore Tablets, Phones – ROM, Apps, News

What did I notice improve?
*The sound! tweaks to the sound driver made it much louder (to me this alone was worth the flash!)
Youtube does not stutter! which has been an issue on past ROM's for my a500.
Holding down the power button prompts Shutdown, Reboot, Recovery, Statusbar (hides bottom taskbar)
Able to exit out of specific apps from the recent apps list (view 2nd pic)
Setting you can switch on for taking pictures of the screen by holding down the recent apps button.

& it's got an Ice Cream Sandwich theme, very nice.. :)

ICS_Theme.png

ADW Launcher EX- https://market.android.com/details?...1bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5hZHdmcmVhay5sYXVuY2hlciJd

Wallpaper -> http://fondos.portalgeek.org/wallpaper-original/wallpapers/android-ice-cream-sandwich-157.jpg

HD widgets (Clock/Weather) - https://market.android.com/details?...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNsb3VkdHYuaGR3aWRnZXRzIl0.

screen_20111121_1903.jpg

Notice the X on the recent apps

screen_20111121_1902.png

For the Ice Cream Sandwich boot animation check out post #192 -> Publish Your A500 Boot Animation efforts HERE - Page 20 - xda-developers
Rename file to bootanimation.zip & move to /data/local/

Here's a video review of the Thor's new ROM

Compare it to the new tegra 3 ASUS PRIME running on Ice Cream Sandwich, looks almost the same? ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those on unrooted 3.2, read this -> [TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1 - xda-developers

If you've never flashed a ROM watch this

Warning
: to all newbies, rooting voids warranty, you need to root to flash CWM recovery (download Acer Recovery Installer from the Market)
Once you install CWM, your good to go, if you flash a bad ROM, you might get stuck in a bootloop but DONT PANIC, just go back into recovery & flash again! ;) Always flash ROM's through CWM! NEVER flash a ROM through Acer Recovery Installer (or else...)

Dont get all the Android lingo? Check out this thread -> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/24584-android-dummies.html

Last edited by a moderator:

HD87

May 14, 2011
I want to play on your side of the fence! Help me! I am 3.2 but not rooted. What now?
Need to downgrade.. Its a process.. Worth it! If your willing to take the time, updated 1st post with links.

m_reza_ab

Jul 13, 2011
I;m using this rom. it is excellent but there is a problem, maybe you can help me to pass that. usually I use oovoo to video chat with my relatives. oovoo on acer a500 is OK but on asus epad is not right. as you know, thor 14.2 is based on asus epad ROM HC 3.2.1 . SO what should I do? ask all of my relatives to use Gtalk????

Sherwood315

Nov 18, 2011
Hello,
I'm new here so take it easy on me. I've been reading a lot and you smart people are kind of over my head. The short of it is my Acer Iconia A500 is brand new and has 3.2 on it but from what I'm reading I'll be better off rolling back to 3.0.1 then getting Thor 3.2.1 to take advantage of the list of feature enhancements. Is this similar to what people do with routers like Linksys wrt54g but obviously more advanced? Being new to tablets my comfort level with making dramatic changes to firmware is pretty low so a nudge is what I need to get me started.
Thanks in advance for your sage wisdoms :)

rchrdcrg

Nov 23, 2011
If I'm understanding your confusion correctly, what they're saying is that in order to root your tablet you will need to downgrade to something prior to 3.2... or I could be mistaken, but I rooted mine back when 3.0.1 was stock cuz I just HAD to have USB gamepad support, lol. Once you've rooted, you can definitely give this ROM a go.

Sherwood315

Nov 18, 2011
Hello,
I'm new here so take it easy on me. I've been reading a lot and you smart people are kind of over my head....
...and it was very easy after I got out of my own way.
My Acer Iconia A500 is currently running Thor 14.2 Android 3.2.1 and it has many obvious improvements in performance.

HD87

May 14, 2011
...and it was very easy after I got out of my own way.
My Acer Iconia A500 is currently running Thor 14.2 Android 3.2.1 and it has many obvious improvements in performance.
Glad to hear you got it, & now that you've flashed it opened up a whole new world ;) ICS should be out soon.. way before Acer releases update

Sherwood315

Nov 18, 2011
Not sure if it's just me but I have noticed a significant decrease in battery life. Same habits as before Thor, same apps. Battery drains faster, i.e. I used to get a solid 5-6 hours now it's more like 3-4. I'll keep testing to confirm what I can without rolling back to 3.2.

HD87

May 14, 2011
Not sure if it's just me but I have noticed a significant decrease in battery life. Same habits as before Thor, same apps. Battery drains faster, i.e. I used to get a solid 5-6 hours now it's more like 3-4. I'll keep testing to confirm what I can without rolling back to 3.2.
Its overclocked at 1.2 GHz instead of default 1 GHz. Which improves performance but decreases battery life by 10-20%, really depends on what your doing. Go to Settings: Thor Rom Parts>Overclocking: Maximum Frequency: 1000 MHz if you want it back the way it was, if you want longer battery life you can underclock to 800 MHz. I have it @ 1.4 ;) You can see the difference when playing games like Shadowgun, Modern Combat 2, etc..

Last edited:

HD87

May 14, 2011
I;m using this rom. it is excellent but there is a problem, maybe you can help me to pass that. usually I use oovoo to video chat with my relatives. oovoo on acer a500 is OK but on asus epad is not right. as you know, thor 14.2 is based on asus epad ROM HC 3.2.1 . SO what should I do? ask all of my relatives to use Gtalk????
try flashing the a500 build prop -> Forum TegraOwners • View topic - [MOD] Build.prop mod to play GameLoft games.(V14.2fix+3Gfix)

stankopp

Sep 28, 2011
I love the speed ans graphics. The GPS works the best it ever has (was almost unusable with the OTA 3.2). The only problem I am having is that I get an "exchange service" FC upon boot and sometimes afterwards. I can live with that though...