Thoughts on NOOKcolor after purchase

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Does anyone have any thoughts on their NC purchase now that it's almost mid January and new devices have come out. Any buyers remorse? Praise or disappointment? Any features you really like or still wish the NC had?

Myself, I'm still happy with my purchase and the NC has turned out the be more than I thought it was. I would have to say, I was hoping for a working bluetooth for all by now but patience is a virtue. Most apps are working more than fine and the big issue of softkeys has been resolved.

So far most problems, if any, can be fixed fairly quickly, thanks to the long history of Android and forums and people that have been working with it. I have no issues with build quality; my NC is solid and I'm still on my first one.

I still don't really see another tablet out there for the money that beats the NC. With Clockwork recovery working better now, it won't be long we can look past the B&N software and run full 2.2 or the upcoming 2.3 Honeycomb.

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I really bought it just so I could check my mail from bed, and maybe read a little. I was tempted by other gadgets, such as the Huaiawwiuaaai [sic] and the Archos 70 or maybe even a cheap Coby. Anyhow - the screen is such a joy, and it just works so well - I find I'm using it for hours every day - I'm falling behind on my tv shows :). I have zero regrets, and honestly think this is more than enough tablet for me for a long time. I'm interested to see improvements, such as BT and 2.2 etc. But I don't require them to feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
My NC is my first experience into the Android world and I'm sooo happy with it.
What am I waiting for? BT will be great when it becomes available as will be the V2.2 upgrade and Flash, but other than that it will do me very nicely for some time to come.

And going by the reactions of my wife and kids I'm guessing that there'll soon be some more NC's in our house :)

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I strongely second your comments...
I have been totally overwhelmed by this little guy.. having purchased it as a ereader w internet options I had no idea it could be turned into a tablet. It does everything I need at this point in time. Now that I can get LIVE TV on it .. it has blown me away... AND I am reading more good books than have in a long, long time.... 2 big Thumbs UP from me.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I really bought it just so I could check my mail from bed, and maybe read a little. I was tempted by other gadgets, such as the Huaiawwiuaaai [sic] and the Archos 70 or maybe even a cheap Coby. Anyhow - the screen is such a joy, and it just works so well - I find I'm using it for hours every day - I'm falling behind on my tv shows :). I have zero regrets, and honestly think this is more than enough tablet for me for a long time. I'm interested to see improvements, such as BT and 2.2 etc. But I don't require them to feel I've gotten my money's worth.

I totally agree, my time of use is steadily growing each day. Now that I finally got a case, I carry it to work each day and use during the day to check my mail, facebook, craigslist, ebay auctions and use to work on questions from you fine folks here in the Nook section. :) I'm a mobile device geek (mainly phone) but like you said, I've very eager to see where the NC will go from here.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
From all my research this looks like a great tab. I am prolly getting a nook color today. You can watch live tv once rooted? Does it have flash once rooted too? Can it play 3d games like quake2 once rooted?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
From all my research this looks like a great tab. I am prolly getting a nook color today. You can watch live tv once rooted? Does it have flash once rooted too? Can it play 3d games like quake2 once rooted?

Yes, not yet (when 2.2 comes) and yes.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Awesome thanks for the info! Sorry to stray from the op. I am def gonna go get one today and root it up.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Awesome thanks for the info! Sorry to stray from the op. I am def gonna go get one today and root it up.

Not a problem. Hope you get one, you definitely won't regret the purchase. Then please post your thought and/or ask any question you need help on.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Yes, not yet (when 2.2 comes) and yes.

rico2001... I am watching live tv on the color nook.. using the Dish sling app and the sling on my TV.. works like a charm...,, no lag and nice clear pix... totally shocked the heck out of me when it worked..
I wasn't expecting it to when I tried the app.. I have used it on my Droid with great success but didn't think it would work until we had 2.2 but it DOES!!

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I totally agree, my time of use is steadily growing each day. Now that I finally got a case, I carry it to work each day and use during the day to check my mail, facebook, craigslist, ebay auctions and use to work on questions from you fine folks here in the Nook section. :) I'm a mobile device geek (mainly phone) but like you said, I've very eager to see where the NC will go from here.
I usually don't bring it to work, but when I do, I use Connectify to turn my laptop into a proper access point (with WPA) and hop on from there.

My biggest Nook Fantasy = BT working so I can connect to one of those BT infared devices and use this as a very cool touchscreen universal remote.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What a great thread! I love positive energy, and this forum has had a lot in the last 30 days. :) Maybe the biggest surprise has been meeting so many wonderful, gracious, and funny Nook owners.

Where can I start??? Like many other owners here, I bought it as a XMAS present for my wife so she could have a new eReader with a few extra goodies like email and web access. But HEY on the way to learning more about it, I discovered it ran Android 2.1 under the hood, and could easily be rooted. The moment I ran Zeam on the Nook, I knew I was hooked (nooked?...ack, terrible pun!).

The bad is that it's spent far more time in my hands than in my wife's. :( Put quite a strain on our marriage! I've also returned two now, with admittedly not-huge hardware issues. But BestBuy has been OK about it, and hopefully we'll have our third and final unit soon.

The good...ah, I'd need a week for that. Let me try and explain it this way (doctoral dissertation begins here!): it just FEELS awesome. I'm a (rooted) Droid owner, and though I haven't handled a half-dozen Android devices, I feel like I know the user interface well, as well as the rooting process and how to modify system apps. And so this is a strange way of saying it but I think the NookColor wants to be a full-blown Android tablet! It just enjoys running apps...it switches screens and moves between windows so smoothly. Everything just looks so gorgeous on it. I am all but certain that Froyo will push us over the edge into the valley of ecstasy. ;) Or maybe I should say ecstatic-ownership.

There's speculation on xda that B&N is selling the NookColor at a razor-thin margin, in order to hook users with beautiful hardware and then sell them digital content. If so, I think they messed up in the same sense that Motorola "messed up" the original Droid: they created a fabulous product that easily reaches beyond its original design intent (I do lots of things with the Droid that neither Motorola nor Verizon anticipated). I have no plans to use the NookColor as B&N intended...I hope to go far, far beyond what they expected the typical user to do. And that makes it very near and dear to me.

OK, 'nuff said.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
rico2001... I am watching live tv on the color nook.. using the Dish sling app and the sling on my TV.. works like a charm...,, no lag and nice clear pix... totally shocked the heck out of me when it worked..
I wasn't expecting it to when I tried the app.. I have used it on my Droid with great success but didn't think it would work until we had 2.2 but it DOES!!

Yes I know the NC does. I was answering his questions consecutively. He asked: You can watch live tv once rooted? Does it have flash once rooted too? Can it play 3d games like quake2 once rooted? I replied: Yes, not yet (when 2.2 comes) and yes. :)

Myth

Aug 25, 2010
I still love my NookColor (I've had it since before Christmas) and I haven't even rooted it yet!

I did get one of those awesome leather Oberon covers for it though.