tips and tricks for a500 owners

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Thought this might be a good thread for every one to share their tips as they learn them.

A simple one that I discovered the other day is that you can turn the lock screen off on your device. If your worried about privacy or the thing knocking around in your bag its probably not a good decision but if you're just using it around the house then it makes it very easy to get in and out of your device much quicker.

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
Step 1:
  1. Type "about:debug" in the address bar of the broswer.
    Note, it will appear that nothing has happened. However, when you click the menu icon (top right corner of the screen - what ever it's called), you will now see some more options.​
  2. Click settings, then click the debug option.
  3. Then select "UAString". From here choose "Desktop".
  4. Back out of everything
  5. Type "about:debug" in the address bar again.

Step 2:

Now, when going to a site, make sure you type the normal sites address. For example, if you want to go to USPS.com, type: www.usps.com

If you do not include the "www", the browser will automatically try the mobile site, regardless of the setting change above.

Hope this helps!!!

vegiemite

May 9, 2011
Nice tip on the Desktop settings, thanks! My A500 seems to randomly turn the screen on after it has been shut off or shut itself off (screen that is). Any ideas why?

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
^ most seem to have the screen popping on randomly problem. hopefully a patch will come out soon to fix this issue.

BThorpe

May 14, 2011
Step 1:
  1. Type "about:debug" in the address bar of the broswer.
    Note, it will appear that nothing has happened. However, when you click the menu icon (top right corner of the screen - what ever it's called), you will now see some more options.​
  2. Click settings, then click the debug option.
  3. Then select "UAString". From here choose "Desktop".
  4. Back out of everything
  5. Type "about:debug" in the address bar again.

Step 2:

Now, when going to a site, make sure you type the normal sites address. For example, if you want to go to USPS.com, type: USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service)

If you do not include the "www", the browser will automatically try the mobile site, regardless of the setting change above.

Hope this helps!!!

For me this works only for the current session - I have to do it all again when I switch on.

omnisvalidus

May 9, 2011
I have the same problem. Its really irritating. Hopefully the Dolphin Tablet edition will be out soon.

patmc

May 14, 2011
Dolphin browser HD gives the option of desktop when setting up.
Which remains unless you choose to change it.

Jul 22, 2011
i dont see that debug option anywhere...

should i nit have uodated my honeyc ome?

this is day two of me having it, but maybe hour 30 of me trying to get it as a desktop

ur help would be appreciated, and make a screen shot of where that debug tab is???

gia

Doublesixes

Dec 6, 2010
HC 3.1 took care of that desktop/mobile issue for the standard browser. Just set it for desktop in your browser's settings. Dolphin had it all along

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
Nice tip on the Desktop settings, thanks! My A500 seems to randomly turn the screen on after it has been shut off or shut itself off (screen that is). Any ideas why?

Its a known issue with actually the wifi.. If your wifi is always on the screen will come on/off i read tha in the XDA forums. To resolve simple make sure to turn off your wifi then soft shut down. You can get a widget so you dont have to go into settings so much... Same qith bt there is a widget for that as well. (not related to screen issue though)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Desso

Jul 18, 2011
to hide folders from galleries, media players, etc. with "personal" type files in them, rename the folder with a period in front of the name.

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
Dolphin browser HD gives the option of desktop when setting up.
Which remains unless you choose to change it.

Dolphin just came out with a tablet beta today, using it right now, its pretty nice. Search "dolphin pad beta" on the Android Market.