Tips for Nexus 7

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Even though I'm not a new-be to Android, I like to know more than the basics of my device, so I can get more than just the basic use out of it.

Instead of swiping the screen a half-dozen times, is there a way to get to the FIRST home screen directly? I thought holding the home button would be a good way, but that just invokes Google Now. Maybe there is a widget with numbered or named tabs button you can put on the screen. The Favorites shelf would be a good place for that.

Are there any other neat little tricks to make using your Nexus 7 more productive?

Some stuff I found already:

• You can long tap an item in the recent apps list to remove it. This is good to clear the recent list of stuff you won't be using, so you can get to apps you DO need to get to quickly.
  • You can pile icons in the Favorites shelf like you can on the home screen to create a folder, so you can add more than the 6 items to the Favorites! You will need a second tap in that case to launch an app from the Favorites shelf.

thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Another thing to know or to be aware of:

There is always a blank screen for the right-most screen. As soon as you put something on it, like a widget or application shortcut, another blank screen is created to the right of that one. that is why you will hear or read that there is an "unlimited number of screens." But I will presume that is actually is a limit to the number of home screens, say 1024.

Spider:
I disagree. You can swipe the recent apps list either way, and none of the recent apps will fall off the list. Until you reboot the device or remove an item yourself, or Android does it for you, the list will grow. with each new application you launch

Also, I don't care for alternative home apps or launcher apps. the last tablet I used would crash if you tried to install a launcher (like Zeam.) Until there is a widget or O.S. feature that allows you to jump to certain home screen, endless swiping will have to suffice.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Spider:
I disagree. You can swipe the recent apps list either way, and none of the recent apps will fall off the list. Until you reboot the device or remove an item yourself, or Android does it for you, the list will grow. with each new application you launch

If by "recent apps list" you mean the list that comes up when you touch the right-most icon at the bottom of any screen, touching an individual icon and flicking it to the right deletes it. It's worked that way on my N7 Gen2 with all three releases of Android. Do you have an N7 or an N7 (2013), that could make a difference.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I would say you are partially right. I can flick the icons UP and they will leave the list.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I would say you are partially right. I can flick the icons UP and they will leave the list.

That's very strange, flicking up on my N7 does nothing.

BTW When you get a chance, please go to your profile and update the Tablet / Device entry to include your N7 and specify the generation. It makes it easier for folks replying to your posts.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I have to go with Music on this one. Flicking up on my Acer removes the link, whereas swiping sideways does nothing.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I guess I was just lucky to get one that swipes sideways to delete entries.:rolleyes:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I guess KitKat had guys like you in mind when it changed the direction of the swipe/flick.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
You're right. I guess that I'm just used to holding my 7-incher in landscape mode.

logdog

May 12, 2013
When I tap my home button I always get my main home screen. I'm using Apex launcher on my Nexus 7.

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I read somewhere online that the home button takes you to the middle screen, which is fine, as long as you know that fact.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Another good thing you may want to know for the Nexus 7/13 is that the included Camera application now has the ability to take a photo using either volume button, which is better than the dumb on-screen button. I don't think that third-party camera apps provide that ability- check your to see if the volume buttons take a photo or control the zoom level.

Don't forget you can also get a screen-shot by pressing the power button and Volume-Down button for about a second or two.