[TIPS] How to make your KYROS 7022 better!

afonsolage

Oct 27, 2011
Hi all!

I was trying many things and changing every thing to make my tablet KYROS MID 7022 better. Some thinkgs worked but many not. I formated my tablet about 9 - 10 times :mad:

But I got some good tips to share if you. So I'm posting it now!

Note: All those tips are working on my COBY KYROS MID 7022, so if you want to try on your tablet, feel free.

1 - Prerequisites.

• You must have a ROOT device!
  • You will need a tool to remove system apks, like Titanium Backup.
  • You will need a text editor with root rights, like ES File Explorer.
2 - How to.

Fix Titanium Backup.
With my tablet, Titanium Backup isn't working properly, it doesn't show apps installed.

It happens because Titanium Backup tries to use his Busybox, instead of system Busybox. Well, don't know why Titanium Backup's Busybox won't work, but you can install a Busybox (I recommend Stephen (Stericson) Busybox) from market and check "Force System BusyBox" on Titanium Backup preferences.

It should work now!

Disable marked update.

The new market block many apps to install on our tablet. I hate that message "Your device isn't compatible with this application".

You can use Titanium Backup to remove the system application "Market Updater 1.0" to prevent the old market to be upgraded.

If you have already a new market, try to install an old market (if you didn't found one, post here and I will upload mine).

Install more apps on market.

Even the old market has a device verification. Because of this, some apps doesn't show on market. You can bypass this by changing your device's build.prop.

Use a root tool like ES File Explorer to remount the folder "/system" as read-write (you can also do this with a root prompt by typing:
"mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system"). Then change the line "ro.product.device=MID7022" to "ro.product.device=GT-i9020", save the file and reboot your device. Now market will think that you have a GALAXY S II :p.

I recommend you to use GT-i9000 or GT-i9020, I use those all time.

You can also change you DPI to 160 (thank's nba1341), just open you build.prop (like said before) and change the line ro.sf.lcd_density=200 to ro.sf.lcd_density=160. Remember, you need to mount /system as read-write and must reboot your device after saving the new build.prop.

Improve your battery usage.

If you look on your battery usage stats, you can see the "Cell standby" as the top user of battery. But wait! why do we need a Cell standby since our tablet hasn't a CDMA, 3G or a SIM card? So lets cut it off!

Open Titanium Backup, search for "Dialer 2.3.7" or "Phone" (the apk name is Phone.apk), and remove it! You will got a error message, but don't worry, just reboot your tablet and feel a better battery life now.

You can also use ClockworkMod to wipe battery stats usage and check if Cell standby isn't drawing battery.

Last edited:

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
I'm on a Kyros 7012 rooted, and most of this helped me as well, except for changing the density to 160 from 200. Didn't fix my market but did make my screen all funky (keyboard didn't fill bottom half of screen, etc). Thinking maybe the res on the two tablets is different? Or do you guys get the same thing?

afonsolage

Oct 27, 2011
Im sorry but I dont use my tablet with dpi 160. I've posted it becouse I know this enable some apps to install on market.

Ill try it when I go home.

Sent from my Milestone using Android Tablet Forum

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I'm on a Kyros 7012 rooted, and most of this helped me as well, except for changing the density to 160 from 200. Didn't fix my market but did make my screen all funky (keyboard didn't fill bottom half of screen, etc). Thinking maybe the res on the two tablets is different? Or do you guys get the same thing?

If changing dpi with a working Market (you already added your Google account), then you have to clear app's data as nba1341 said (I personally recommend doing it for GoogleServicesFramework as well), then restart tablet. After you open Market and download something you can revert to the original dpi.

BRIMS7ON3

Dec 27, 2011
So I followed all the instructions....and changing the DPI and the Device number to the Galaxy number DID in fact allow me to download - in this case - Let's Golf 3. However, I still get the incompatible device error when I try to run it and it checks the files.

any suggestions?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Some apps may check the device's hardware when run and they will not start if the minimum requirements aren't met. It works with 7024/8024/1024 when using Galaxy Tab fingerprint because the hardware is very similar.

Last edited:

mwprado

Dec 28, 2011
I 've installed APN Settings Shortcut and Quick Settings from market. After this app, I get acess to 3g settings and APN settings, but when I try search for 3G networks (with 3g stick) give me a error. Do you have a tip for it?

Last edited:

4bddn

Dec 27, 2011
removing the phone.apk makes sense...just make u reboot when u remove it or else u will get flooded with fc's when accessing the status menu :)

edit: trying to find a simple way to install clockworkmod. theres no option in the clockworkmod menu for the 7125 in rom manager

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I 've installed APN Settings Shortcut and Quick Settings from market. After this app, I get acess to 3g settings and APN settings, but when I try search for 3G networks (with 3g stick) give me a error. Do you have a tip for it?

Looking at its system files I would say that 7022 or any Kyros with a Telchips processor doesn't support 3G dongles, your best bet is acquiring a portable 3G router that shares the connection via WiFi.

Wmccjeep

Dec 28, 2011
Ugh! Titanium backup won't remove my dialer. When it reboots, I get the exclamation point. Rooted and everything. Cwm installed also.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Tablet Forum

Wmccjeep

Dec 28, 2011
Also how do I get read-write on /system folder?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Tablet Forum

bigblue206

Dec 2, 2010
In ES File Explorer go into the settings and check the box that says "Root Explorer". When you do it will tell you that you have to "mount the drive as writeable. Just check the next box down and you are all set. Navigate in ES File Explorer to the system folder and then the app folder. In that folder u will find the "phone.apk" and "telephony.apk" Just change the apk to old and that will stop the cell phone from drawing on the battery.