TMobile's WebConnect SIM works with S7

Discussion in 'Huawei Ideos S7' started by Lorrendor, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Lorrendor

Lorrendor Member

Tablet / Device:
    Huawei S7, LG Ally
    Due to the problems I've had with the prepaid route on TMobile since they have now classified the S7 as a grey device and have changed its status from a Smartphone to a data device....

I just got home from TMO store and I purchased a (believe it or not) a Huawei UMG1691 Webconnect Jet Kit (USB Stick Modem). Got that activated on a month-to-month plan (NOT PREPAID, NOT PAY AS YOU GO, BUT A POST-PAID PLAN WITH NO CONTRACT)...the EM+WebConn Discount NoOverage plan... (no contract as I paid full price for the Modem) and for $40/month you basically get unlimited data (5GB with soft cap/throttle down and no overage). The SIM works fine in the S7 as data only (no phone service provided)....but the Edge data speeds are S L O W... We went this way because we can use the SIM card in the S7 or pop the SIM card into the USB stick and use in a laptop as needed.

Sent from my Ally using Android Tablet Forum App

2. Lorrendor

Lorrendor Member

Tablet / Device:
    Huawei S7, LG Ally
    Is there a better APN setting for non-smartphone data (i.e. WebConnect) for TMobile? I know that due to a frequency limitation that the S7 is restricted to EDGE data only, but I'm only getting 120kbps down and VERY slow using stock APN from the S7.

Less than a month ago, I was getting 500kbps using a prepaid TMobile phone SIM with a $1.49 Web Pass (THIS NO LONGER WORKS HOWEVER which is why I went with a Webconnect Data Plan). So I know the device is capable of faster than 120kbps on EDGE on TMo.

Is there a difference between APN settings for smartphone vs. Non smartphone (which TMobile now considers the S7 a non-smartphone but a data device)

If you know of the correct APN to use, how does one go about setting it up on the S7? And will this mess up anything in case I need to default back?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my Ally using Android Tablet Forum App

3. stephndudb

stephndudb Member

Tablet / Device:
    Huawei S7
    FYI: For anyone who doesn't need the USB stick, you can get just the SIM for free and put a WebConnect plan on it (either pre-paid or contract).

4. pa49

pa49 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Huawei S7, Nokia X3-02, Nokia E71
    I've posted this before, but, in case you missed it when I was in the US recently I used the old voicestream network which is still operating on APN internet2.voicestream.com.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cathi888

cathi888 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Huawei

That is what I was using. They closed that option on friday.

• Like Like x 2