To Battle Android Fragmentation Google now 'Less Open' with New SDK Modification

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
android-fragmentation-oct-2012.jpg

It's a fine line to walk. How can you remain as open as possible, yet still create enough cohesion and structure to avoid fragmentation? It almost sounds like a dilemma question on a college philosophy test doesn't it? Unfortunately it is precisely this razor's edge that Google must walk with Android everyday, and today's news suggests they made the choice to stray across to the "less open" side of things.

Google has updated their Android SDK licensing terms and agreements to help keep things more focused and reduce fragmentation. Here's a quote with the details,

Section 3.4 of Google's new terms, which were updated Tuesday, reads, "You agree that you will not take any actions that may cause or result in the fragmentation of Android, including but not limited to distributing, participating in the creation of, or promoting in any way a software development kit derived from the SDK."

The new clause is the first significant update since the 2009 terms, which did not address the issue of fragmentation.

In many ways this is good news. Addressing the fragmentation problem will benefit Android greatly. It helps consumers avoid obsolescence a bit longer with their devices, and greatly helps developers from having to create extra versions of their apps to be compatible with the various Android versions. Still, Google always strives to "not be evil." While this new "control mechanism" helps to keep fragmentation reduced, it also bends Google toward a more rigid and "Apple-like" way of doing things. Share your perspective on the subject.

Source: CNET

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It's a fine line to walk. How can you remain as open as possible, yet still create enough cohesion and structure to avoid fragmentation? It almost sounds like a dilemma question on a college philosophy test doesn't it? Unfortunately it is precisely this razor's edge that Google must walk with Android everyday, and today's news suggests they made the choice to stray across to the "less open" side of things.

Great opening. Just remember than even in the "wild West" there were lawmen to help keep order ;)

tragidy

Jan 29, 2011
Good read, thanks for that and android 2.X still remains the most used this I can confirm just by the sheer amount of cheap phones on the market ;)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Some standards are definitely needed and will be much appreciated. They could use a little more standards in the hardware area as well though it may be to late for much of that. A more standard way to do a factory reset at the hardware level is one example.

horsenails

Nov 24, 2012
After having my new tablet on the charger for 10 hours to charge the battery, the tablet still will not turn on. I have read the manual and there is nothing as to why it will not start. Can anyone please help me?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
After having my new tablet on the charger for 10 hours to charge the battery, the tablet still will not turn on. I have read the manual and there is nothing as to why it will not start. Can anyone please help me?

Was here an indication that it was actually charged? If so, long press the power button.