To buy or not to buy....

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
Hi folks.

I've always belonged to the group of people who can't quite see why a tablet is at all useful, but recently something strange happened.

A week ago (or so) my brother bought a tablet, and I've been unable to keep my hands off it ever since.
It's just plain great for browsing and really nice and fun to use.
Since I use my brother's tablet so much, I figured it might be the time for me to buy a tablet.
The only problem is, that as much as I love using my brother's tablet, I still can't see what I really need it for. My laptop can do whatever a tablet can do and more so.

One part of me really wants to buy a tablet, since it's great fun and enhances the browsing/couch experience. Another part of me thinks it's a pointless toy since I already have my laptop and I might as well save my money.

Can any of you guys and gals give me some inputs and perhaps help me decide, 'cause I really don't know if it'd be worth the money in the long run.

Thanks.

beastman

May 8, 2011
Your tablet weighs less than the laptop, so you might use it more. I have both a tablet and laptop. I find that I use my tablet more (bring with me to places with wifi) than I do my laptop.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
I assume that you would bring you 7" tablet with you to a coffee shop or whatever, but if I wanted to buy a 10" tablet, I think it would be too big and too heavy to bring with me when I leave the house, but when looking around, there seems to be only 10.1" honeycomb tablets on the market for now.

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
I have a 10.1'' asus Eee PC, bought a 7'' tablet at first the tablet screen was ok but now it is a bit to small the 10 inch is much better, why bother with a phone OS tablet when there is 10'' HC tablet on the market... asus or acer 10.1 is the way to go..

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
Isn't the 10.1" too big for real portability? Do you leave it at home, or do is it handy enough for you to take with you when you leave the house?

beastman

May 8, 2011
I have a 10" and bring it with me if I am going to some place with free wifi. I don't bring it to work unless I am going some place after work because there is no wifi available to me.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
Hmm, I think I'll get either the Asus Transformer or the Blackberry Playbook then.
Does anyone know which pro's and con's there are with the two different tablets?

I know this is a forum for android only, but I hope it's okay to ask questions about which of the two to get. :p

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
Hmm, you sure gave me something to think about.
I guess I really have to consider whether I think I need the tablet or not. I think you're right about the fact that the netbook is just as portable and works better than a tablet, but if I consider the tablet to be as much of a toy as it is a worktool, I't might just justify the various negative sides of the tablet. I don't know, but I guess it's something I can't really decide on before I actually try it myself. Unfortunately.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Well, larryw4csc seems to have brought an end to this discussion by dumping a harsh load of reality on it. If you need more on this subject you could go to a similar thread here on the forum that ended about a week ago http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-usage-tips-tricks/14896-what-use-tablets.html or just stop and think about it. If you need to ask people why you should get a tablet, you probably don't need a tablet and shouldn't get one. If you think you're going to have another computer when you get your tablet, try to imagine doing your taxes on it. I wouldn't even try to complete a 1040EZ on mine.