To encrypt or not to encrypt that is the question.

cpritch007

Oct 3, 2010
I'm concerned about my Samsung 10.1 falling into the hands of a knave or vagabond.

The instructions say that if I encrypt it and want to decrypt at a later stage I will have to revert to factory settings and lose all my data, apps. etc. So, I'm not too inclined just to experiment.

Has anybody any experience of encrypting a 10.1? In particular does it have any noticeable effect on processing speeds. I wouldn't want it to become sluggish. Are there any disadvantages to encryption that anybody has first hand experience of? Any other advice would be welcome too.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Doesn't have a ton of impact on speed, so that is not a problem. Download Titanium backup pro, use it to create backups. That way you can reinstall the apps and data if you decide at a later time to decrypt or replace your tab.

Personally, since I have all my info such as financial, work info, etc, all my devices are encrypted.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The built-in Encryption of Honeycomb and ICS offer a measure of protection not found in the basic PIN/swipe. The primary question you likely want to know. What can be harvested from a stolen tablet. Think of it in this model
1. No Password/No slide/no encryption
EVERYTHING is available to a person who wants to access any data on the tablet. Even things you think are protected internally, are not well protected. So any Passwords, CC info and credentials stored are available.
2. Slide/PIN/Password protection
Screendoor protection. The device may not be usable readily, but there are ways around just a lock screen. This requires a higher degree of skill, but not that much
3. Full Device Encryption
Fully protected, but can be broken with the correct forensic tools. This is more of a statement of fact. The FDE of a tablet is good. but I can say the image can be acquired of a protected/Encrypted Notebook and then brute force attempt can be used. This is time consuming, but some devices potentially have master key unlock potential. This is for Law enforcement. Not by the average thief.

With that said, you also need to protect your backup whether Titanium local backup or a cloud based solution. Password/Passphrase protect it as well. Sure it is an added pain, but if security conscious, it is advised.

The final thought is use a decent passcode/PIN/Phrase. NOT sequentials. or visually simple number patterns. eg 1793 147256 These are more common and simple and not too clever.