To Root or Not to Root?

Discussion in 'Nook' started by curttp, Dec 24, 2010.

1. curttp

curttp Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    color nook, archos 6IT
    Can someone tell me what the advantages, disadvantages, problems etc with rooting a Color Nook. I got my wife one for Christmas, and I really don't want to screw anything up. I have read there is a manual and automatic rooting process. Where would I find the best instructions for this.
  2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Asus OG Transformer, Droid 3
    Welcome Curt! Have you guys opened it up yet, or waiting until tomorrow? ;)

I'd recommend rooting. It's getting easier to do, and it's not difficult at all to return your NC to stock condition if you feel like it. There are several websites with instructions. I've found nookDevs to be a good place to start:

Portal:NookColor - nookDevs

Now, sometimes I notice the instructions on nookDevs is just slightly beyond the novice level. For example, it may say "start a command shell" which for some Windows users is not an obvious step. If you're familiar with Dos or Linux though (command line control) then I think you'll be pretty comfortable with it.

Advantages? Here are my favorites:

(1) Rooting allows you access to the Android OS. There are several nice things that Android can do, that Barnes&Noble hid with their user interface. For example, after rooting you can install a different homescreen "launcher" and organize it with shortcuts and informative widgets (e.g., weather).

(2) Rooting allows you to load Android apps. Barnes&Noble would like to strictly control the applications you run. With the Android 2.1 OS under the hood, though, you can install and run quite a few more. Rooting allows you to do this.

(3) Rooting gives you access to Google's apps. There are number of nice Google apps--Gmail, Calendar, Maps, Gallery, and the Google App Market--that you can't run on the stock NC. Rooting and then installing these creates a user experience much like Google intended it.

Note that these are the early days, so various steps for modifying the NC are evolving. Here is a more detailed list of what is included in the latest rooting process:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

Let us know if you have any questions, and please keep us updated on your experience!

-Matt
  3. pbrauer

pbrauer Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    Root root!! Seriously, there are advantages, but it is not required. Read Xaeious' excellent write up on rooting and then decide if you want to g down that road. Keep in mind with the Nook you have a mainstream device with full vendor support as compared to many others.

Good luck!
    p
  4. markiej

markiej Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color rooted
    I recommend rooting as well. The autorooting is dead easy. And you don't lose any of the basic Nook stuff. Plus, if you hate it, it's apparently quite easy to go back to stock.
  5. curttp

curttp Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    color nook, archos 6IT
    Is it true that I will no longer be able to download books from B&N. My wife has a $50 gift card to B&N and I don't want to waste it.
  6. rsmcjr

rsmcjr Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    nook color
    I'm glad I found this forum, I got my wife one of these also and from everything I have seen here it will be rooted by tomorrow afternoon. thanks everyone.
  7. gadgetrants

Tablet / Device:
    Sorry I don't have a definitive answer to that question. Here is what I can tell you for sure: after rooting (as markiej noted) the NC still retains all of the same buttons and functions it did out of the box. So I can easily browse the B&N bookstore, although I haven't bought any books on my rooted NC because we haven't entered CC info yet.

All that rooting itself does (in formal terms) is allow you to navigate the file system inside the NC...if you have a Windows PC, it's equivalent to being able to go all the way "up" to the highest point in your C drive, that is, C:\ (easy to view in a file manager). That's what "rooting" means...access to the root of the file system. So there's no logical reason you'd lose access to B&N after rooting.

I also haven't seen any reports that modifying the NC breaks access to the B&N store. I'd be pretty skeptical if I did.

-Matt
  8. rico2001

rico2001 Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    If you have the ability, you should root. The advantages are endless. It is well worth it and your NC can be unrooted easily.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablet Forum App
  9. gadgetrants

Tablet / Device:
    Howdy! Have you learned the quick screenshot trick yet (works without rooting, btw)? Once you've got it set up, if you (a) hold down the "n" button and (b) quickly press/release Volume-down, the NC takes a picture of the screen. Think about posting a screenshot after you've set it up to you're liking!

-Matt
  10. csrabear

csrabear Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
    You will still be able to download from BN. I have downloaded several books already. Rooting is not difficult, just follow the instructions carefully.
  11. snookiecolor

snookiecolor Junior Member

Root. Why not? it was so easy to root using auto rooted available now. You should do it.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Android Tablet Forum App
  12. rmr

rmr Junior Member

Gonna take the plunge this weekend. Hopefully it wont take as a long as it looks.

dragonslayer Junior Member

Yup will also try rooting this weekend. Hopefully it will be a fruitful one.
  14. MoCoTerp

MoCoTerp Junior Member

After rooting, is there a way to make sure/turn off any automated updates from B&N? I don't care for / use their book app, I'm fine with Kindle.
  15. JackOnan

JackOnan Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    There is some talk of preventing updates here.
  16. rico2001

rico2001 Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    The stock NC reader app is very good and I prefer it over the kindle app, but to each his own.

... and that is why I love Android, choice is golden. :)
  17. Abb0nz

Abb0nz Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    SGTab 2 7.0
    A, what I'm sure is a, noob question on rooting. Do you have to leave the uSD card in to use the NC when rooted? I've seen a couple of comments that suggest that you do but other comments seem to suggest that once rooted the uSD can be removed (and the slot used to store movies etc).
    Thanks
  18. gadgetrants

Tablet / Device:
    Nah, not noobish at all. I forget what you've done so far, but assuming you're autonooting: after the rooting process is done, you have two options...

(1) Pull out the card, and leave it aside in case you want to unroot and then repeat the process (use another card if need more space on the NC).

The other, more practical solution is (2) After the autonooting process is done, pull out the sdcard and let the NC restart. Once it's rebooted, you can put it back in and use the NC to reformat it (it's a bit complicated, but you should use the NC--not another PC or device--to reformat at that point). Then your sdcard is now empty and ready to hold books, pictures, music, and movies!

-Matt
    • Like Like x 2
  19. rico2001

rico2001 Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    -Format sd card with root program
    -turn on NC with sd inserted in NC to root
    -After root, use NC to reformat your sd card back to original size.
    (If you don't want to reformat, remove the sd card before you reboot or turn off your NC)
    (IF you don't remove the root formatted sd card, every time you turn the NC on, you will attempt to root the device over and over which can cause it not to come on.)

I suggest you go to "NC helpful tips and rooting" thread (see my sig) and read everything before you start.
  20. Abb0nz

Abb0nz Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    SGTab 2 7.0
    Thanks Matt, very much appreciated.