To Root or Not to Root?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
How do you auto root?

Start HERE for rooting information.

How do you link nc to gmil acct?
It is advised that the email account associated with you B&N is the gmail account you are going to use with the market,etc. (helps with rooting) So if you haven't done so already, make sure your gmail account is the primary account on your Barnes and Noble account.

JimDantin

Feb 3, 2011
I've joined the rooted NC club thanks to all the great info posted here. Many thanks!

Did a LOT of reading here before buying the NC. Then, within 2 hours of buying it, I had it rooted (autonooter) and configured rather nicely. Minor hiccup when an OTA update happened and wiped out all my work, but was up and running again in short order. Did a backup THAT time! Also made the changes to block further OTA updates. Been running smoothly now for a few days.

I'm struggling a bit with softkeys and/or other settings related to not having a Back button. I would appreciate any hints regarding how to best configure things for smooth navigating when the little back arrow isn't shown in the navigation bar.

Is there was a way to remap the Quick Nav arrow to do something more useful? Searched, but haven't found anything posted.

Lastly, I am VERY frustrated with Contacts. I don't know if it's simply a lame app, or if I futzed up something. I'm linked to my Gmail contacts and can see all of the contacts I have in Gmail. Gmail Contacts, as viewed on my desktop, has a lot of detailed information -- I'm a longtime Outlook user and have accumulated extensive detailed addresses, notes, phone numbers, etc. All that data got imported into Gmail. On the NC, all I see is the name and email address. Is that just the way it is, or is something wrong? I REALLY want to see ALL of my contact detailed info!!!

thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Jim, welcome. Congrats on your rooted Nook Color. You might want to try Button Savior or configure your Soft Keys following one of the threads below. The contacts are sort of a sticky issue at this point with work arounds that work to varying degrees. Check out the thread below regarding contacts.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...uggestions-first-things-do-after-rooting.html or http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-apps-games/4810-soft-keys-vs-button-savior.html

and

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...unctional-auto-sync-contacts-application.html

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Howdy all... read through the entire thread plus a lot of other info about rooting the NC...

Here are a few questions:

1. Have seen info referring to a "soft rooting" vs "rooting" process. Is the autonooter talked about here the "soft rooting" approach?
  2. I've ordered my NC and should have it in a few days... What is the status of Froyo? Will it likely have Android 2.1 on it? I had read that Froyo was supposed to come out for the nook last month.
  3. I like HTC's Sense UI (I have an Evo) ... Is there any ROM out there that will work on the NC that approximates HTC Sense?
  4. I am not clear about Bluetooth. I thought that the NC had the chip but also saw info indicating that BT wasn't working. What is the status of Bluetooth?
  5. I plan on using the same Gmail account that I have linked to my HTC Evo. Will Android Market recognize that I'm on a new device? Will I be able to re-download my paid apps purchased on my Evo to the NC?
Thanks in advance!
Doug

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Have seen info referring to a "soft rooting" vs "rooting" process. Is the autonooter talked about here the "soft rooting" approach?
Not sure where this came from, but I would think that "soft rooting" would be using a bootable SD card with a complete ROM on it. Since softrooting usually refers to root access only working until you reboot, and I haven't seen that for the NC. But you can leave the internal memory/system intact and boot Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb Preview from an SD card.

I've ordered my NC and should have it in a few days... What is the status of Froyo? Will it likely have Android 2.1 on it? I had read that Froyo was supposed to come out for the nook last month.
No Froyo from B&N yet, no date for it either, but it's supposed to be "soon." Your NC will definitely have 2.1 on it.

I like HTC's Sense UI (I have an Evo) ... Is there any ROM out there that will work on the NC that approximates HTC Sense?
Not yet, but there are a lot of people that want one... no one's stepped up to port it yet.

I am not clear about Bluetooth. I thought that the NC had the chip but also saw info indicating that BT wasn't working. What is the status of Bluetooth?
You said it, the hardware is there, but there are no software drivers for it. Also something everyone wants, but this one has folks hammering away and we might be able to get it working. Nothing definitive yet.

I plan on using the same Gmail account that I have linked to my HTC Evo. Will Android Market recognize that I'm on a new device? Will I be able to re-download my paid apps purchased on my Evo to the NC?
Yes. You can either re-download them or just move the apk from your phone to the NC and install.

Welcome!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Howdy all... read through the entire thread plus a lot of other info about rooting the NC...

Here are a few questions:

1. Have seen info referring to a "soft rooting" vs "rooting" process. Is the autonooter talked about here the "soft rooting" approach?
  2. I've ordered my NC and should have it in a few days... What is the status of Froyo? Will it likely have Android 2.1 on it? I had read that Froyo was supposed to come out for the nook last month.
  3. I like HTC's Sense UI (I have an Evo) ... Is there any ROM out there that will work on the NC that approximates HTC Sense?
  4. I am not clear about Bluetooth. I thought that the NC had the chip but also saw info indicating that BT wasn't working. What is the status of Bluetooth?
  5. I plan on using the same Gmail account that I have linked to my HTC Evo. Will Android Market recognize that I'm on a new device? Will I be able to re-download my paid apps purchased on my Evo to the NC?

Thanks in advance!
Doug

1. Soft rooting is to be able to push commands, instructions, apps, etc. to the device software without changing the security (owership) of the software itself, in short "root". The autonooter is a hard root method where it will change the security of the software, making you the, PC term "administrator" over all aspects of the software. The Nook uses a soft root method while the Nook Color uses a hard root method. Note: everything done to the NC is fully reversible.

2. Currently all NC are coming with Eclair (android 2.1) and B&N plans on updating to 2.2 sometime in the next 1-2 months. Currently there are two version of custom 2.2 roms out, which can be ran off sd card or flashed to the internal memory. The 2.2 ROM many of us are using is called phiremod nook BETA2. Although a beta, it is for the most part very stable and smooth.

3. Same here, bug HTC Sence fan myself. Currently there is no NC rom with ported htc sense. There a few apps and widgets that can be installed that can give some of the appearance and some of the features of sense. I have no doubt that htc sense will find it's way onto a NC rom in the near future.

4. The cpu chip on the NC has the capability of bluetooth and fm radio. There are a few teams out there working on the issues by disassembling the whole NC to see what is there and what components are missing to get both features working. There is one success case over on xda-developers.com. Last I read, they are trying to find out the status of the antenna on the chip. This could be some feature B&N enables fully in a revision or perhaps a new Nook Color 2.

5.Ahh a oldy but goody android faq. This question is not only asked by NC owners but to every android device. The answer is yes you can re-download your paid apps. Here is Google's official stance on the issue:

Your application purchases are tied to your Google Account and can be installed an unlimited amount of times on any device. So, for example, if you remove 'My Favorite Game' to save memory, you can reinstall it at a later date with no charge by simply visiting My Downloads. Note: free applications are not saved to My Downloads after you remove them.
If you change devices, you can install previous purchases by making sure you sign into your device with the same Google Account you used on your previous phone.
Additionally, if Android Market is attempting to charge you for an application you have already purchased on an existing phone, your device may have been reset and a new username and password created. Because the application is associated with a different Google Account, you are being charged to purchase it again. Please note, if you would like to continue using the device with your current Google Account, you will need to purchase the application again.
If you would like to access your application without purchasing it again, reset your phone and sign in using the Google Account used at the time of purchase. To complete this process, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. For Android 1.6 devices, visit Settings > SD Card and phone storage > Factory data reset. For Android 2.0 devices, visit Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset. This will wipe all data on your device; the SD/memory card will not be touched.
  2. Sign in to your phone using the username and password of the Google Account you originally used to purchase your applications. If you do not know the password for this account, please visit the Google Checkout Help Center article about Passwords for instructions to reset the password.
  3. Reinstall the application by visiting My Downloads.
Retrieving previously purchased applications - Android Market Help
Hope these answers help. :)

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
Hello all, just finished watching huskermania's video. And unless anyone thinks otherwise i think i am going to root my NC this way. right now i am using a ROM of Honeycomb. it pretty much makes the NC look like a Moto Xoom. but no Market and its a bit jerky. so i think i am ready to take the plunge and root the NC. i have just a few questions... for now..
first the software version of my NC is 1.1.. is this a problem?
second will i have to reload any existing books i have on my NC after i root it.

sorry if some of these questions are stupid but i am pretty new to this and any help is welcome.

thank you
Rob

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Hello all, just finished watching huskermania's video. And unless anyone thinks otherwise i think i am going to root my NC this way. right now i am using a ROM of Honeycomb. it pretty much makes the NC look like a Moto Xoom. but no Market and its a bit jerky. so i think i am ready to take the plunge and root the NC. i have just a few questions... for now..
first the software version of my NC is 1.1.. is this a problem?
second will i have to reload any existing books i have on my NC after i root it.

sorry if some of these questions are stupid but i am pretty new to this and any help is welcome.

thank you
Rob
If U go with some root like phiremod, then since U delete first everything more internal memory, it doesnt matter what version U have now.

Your books will play normally later. ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If you are using auto-nooter 3 follow the steps carefully sicne there can be isues with B&N 1.1, auto-nooter 3 and CWR if you decided to go there. If you just auto-nooter you will be at android 2.1 and you will still have your B&N lanucher and all of your books. If you choose to load a custom ROM of 2.2 or higher you will lose your books but can get them back by downloading the B&N android app. You will however lose the ability to use magazines and "read to me" for childrens books.

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
Help!!! just rooted my NC and all seems to work well but the softkeys will not work correctly.. the home button works but the back button and the one with the 3 lines (not sure what that does) will not do anything.. right now i am browsing the Market and when i tap a file if want to read about i cannot go back ... any ideas on this problem??? thank

Rob

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The three line are to ull up the menu. You can also try button savior from the Market.

From the FAQ http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

1. -Open the AppDrawer to see your apps and select 'Softkeys' since it's not quite ready/easy to use yet.
  2. -touch the settings button (a hammer/wrench icon)
    1. Options in screen order:
    2. SoftKeys Service
      1. -Run Service: Unchecked (this will remove the persistent 'popper' button that opens softkeys, but we don't need it the way I configure the "n" button)
      2. -rest of these options are personal preference
    3. Virtual Home Button
      1. -Normal Press: set to your favorite launcher
      2. -Long Press: SoftKeys
      3. -Return After Back: Unchecked
    4. Physical Home Button
      1. -Home Button: Single Tap = Softkeys, Doubletap = (favorite launcher)
      2. -Double Press Time: personal preference
      3. Rest
      4. -personal preference / leave alone for now
    • -This softkeys configuration will allow your NC to operate like this:
      1. Pressing the "n" key once will pull up the softkeys and give you access to these buttons: Back, Home, Menu, Search, Vol-, Vol+, Config, Close (which can also be configured from within softkeys, but these are default)
      2. Pressing the "n" key again will take you back to your favorite launchers home page
      3. -How you use softkeys (or another soft button app like buttonsavior) is completely personal preference, but this set up gives a decent starting point that you can experiment from.

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
thank you that help alot.. glad i found all of you .. you have all been a great help...
Rob

monica_118

Mar 17, 2011
Hello, I am a new member-- just a little while agol!! ... Thank you for this article about rooting. I am still very afraid to do it, but that is why I'm here because I want to learn and use my Nook to its max. I will be needing more help from you guys so please bear with me. .... Can you tell me if rooting or making any changes to my Nook will affect the warranty? ... I purchased a three-year extended warranty, mostly because I am afraid to drop it. Thank you so much for your help. I think I found a nice place to hang out more often.!! [email protected]