To Root or Not to Root?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Matt,I found a friend with window so i'll use the inf you gave to Duke. I'll deregister as soon as I get off and printing and elaborating all info with th apple in my brain in order to get ready. Can u please talk more about the steps that allow to manipulate the wifi, steps u mentioned in an earlier messaage.very interested if it is what I thi.nk it is!
ciao a presto,corro a deregister I'll mio nook....bravissimo...dove hai imparato a parlare cosi' bene la mia lingua?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Matt,I found a friend with window so i'll use the inf you gave to Duke. I'll deregister as soon as I get off and printing and elaborating all info with th apple in my brain in order to get ready. Can u please talk more about the steps that allow to manipulate the wifi, steps u mentioned in an earlier messaage.very interested if it is what I thi.nk it is!
ciao a presto,corro a deregister I'll mio nook....bravissimo...dove hai imparato a parlare cosi' bene la mia lingua?
OK, so first let's get the rooting part worked out. Take a look at the steps in the earlier message and see if they make sense to you and your friend, and let us know if you're able to do it. Once you reach that point we can move to the more advanced stuff (ADB!).

Where'd I learn Italian? It's been...um, 13 years (wow, am I that old???) but my wife and I spent a year studying in Rome, and it had a huge effect on us. The way we eat, the way we see our community and family. Italian culture has so many nice things I wish we could borrow (like, could I just get a decent espresso!). Looks like I'm going to a conference in Sardinia in May. :) If we start an "off-topic" sub-forum I'll tell you some of the phrases in Italian that have gotten me into trouble. For example, once I meant to order "caffe corretto" but accidentally said "caffe con recto." Ouch.

-Matt

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
NMatt,se vuoi conversare un po' in italiano lo possiamo fare, mi f piacere.....non penso questo sia I'll luogo, ci caccerannno fuori da questo sito, penso. Oh a proposito, come puoi vedere I'll mio. nook si rifiuta di scrivere l'articolo maschile singolare e lo sostituisce subito con " I'll". Sono sicura che c'e' un rimedio,che tu sicuramente saprai.Dimmi tu dove vuoi che ci incontriamo in italiano. Io sono su uno di quei siti che non voglio nominare qui,molto banale e noioso ma ho ritrovato amici italiani persi
grazie al mio vagabondare.Ti posso presentare ai miei amici in Italia che.sono sul sito, cosi' puoi rinfrescare un po' I'll tuo italiano ed e ' un po' come essere in Italia. Ma torniamo all'inglese.
I deregistered.my devise as u told me and now it' s ready. Tomorrow at 2:00 I'll meeet my friend at my house where I get the.strongest wifi signal ever and we are going to use his window pc for the rooting. Hopefully somebody will be online at.the time in case I need help. Super exited, can't wait to transform my nook into a FERRARI!!!
Thank u all
Gloria

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I was so excited for you until you used the F-Word... very disappointed ;)

I don't know you....sorry to disappoint you but I don't really care to disappoint you..... just trying hard to be polite and not to use the other f-word
love &peace
gg

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I need help....i 'm t the step of you tube. ...after i press it i press the menu.button and nothing happen....i cannot see+"My channel" option as from instructions...,tryed few times...ny suggestion?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Gloria!

I didn't get a chance to respond to your earlier message. Piano a piano! :(

Regarding the F-word I'm pretty sure he was making a joke. Apparently he prefers American Formula 1 over Italian? ;)

Next, I hate to be a pain, but I think we can best help if you go through the steps you did so far? If you can, back up and list what you've done since the factory reset.

Grazie mille (thousand thanks),

Matt

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
I can't find my post, so I'll post again. Help! I rooted my Nookcolor but its not working right. Soft keys disapeared and it wont return to the home screen. I have not turned it off, afraid it won't turn back on. Thx

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I can't find my post, so I'll post again. Help! I rooted my Nookcolor but its not working right. Soft keys disapeared and it wont return to the home screen. I have not turned it off, afraid it won't turn back on. Thx
Not a biggie. In order to fix, we have to figure out what's been set as your default home screen. Have you installed a second launcher, or do you just have the default B&N home screen so far? Also, head over to the "extras" (under the B&N menu at the bottom) and you should find SoftKeys in the list of apps. If not, reboot and it will be there. You can launch it from that point.

My long-term suggestion--if you're able to install new apps now--is to take a serious look at Button Savior (Android Market and free!). You may prefer it over SoftKeys.

-Matt

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
I'm trying. Still B&N home screen.Still cant get there thru the U, but the soft keys loaded and can get to home thru them. When I press the softkeys, they flash on the arrow bar.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Should I be able to search the market using the market spy glass or should I use the soft key one? Neighter work at this point.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I haven't used SoftKeys in a while, but what I remember is you have two options for the "physical" button. Take a look at that in the SoftKeys settings menu, and let me know how it's set. In the meantime, can you download apps through the Market? It'd be nice to get another launcher on your Nook (I'd suggest Zeam).

-Matt

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Its getting better. Don't you just love us noobies! OK installed zeam. Now when I press the U i have the options of Home, Softkey & Zeam. Chose Zeam. I feel better now. The Back button is working in the info bar. Thx a million. I'll play for a while.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I REBOOTED A COUPLE OF TIME AND I WENT TROUGH THE STEP WHERE.I.GOT STUCKED AND I DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Matt and i love it,thank you Rico for the push ,i already downloaded few apps.
About. AbbOnz,you are wright,he was probably joking but as he has a problem with the F- car, I have a problem with the d-word. It shouldn't even exist.......it does a lot of damage to people.
But don't keep me here...let me go play with my ROOTED NOOK!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I REBOOTED A COUPLE OF TIME AND I WENT TROUGH THE STEP WHERE.I.GOT STUCKED AND I DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Matt and i love it,thank you Rico for the push ,i already downloaded few apps.
About. AbbOnz,you are wright,he was probably joking but as he has a problem with the F- car, I have a problem with the d-word. It shouldn't even exist.......it does a lot of damage to people.
But don't keep me here...let me go play with my ROOTED NOOK!