To Root or Not to Root?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Should I be able to search the market using the market spy glass or should I use the soft key one? Neighter work at this point.
That search icon in the upper right...it's a little like levitation: look at it...concentrate, then touch it thinking "YOU WILL WORK!" and it will. :) At least that's how I do it and it does work. About 10% of the time! :p

Glad to hear things are working better!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I REBOOTED A COUPLE OF TIME AND I WENT TROUGH THE STEP WHERE.I.GOT STUCKED AND I DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Matt and i love it,thank you Rico for the push ,i already downloaded few apps.
About. AbbOnz,you are wright,he was probably joking but as he has a problem with the F- car, I have a problem with the d-word. It shouldn't even exist.......it does a lot of damage to people.
But don't keep me here...let me go play with my ROOTED NOOK!
Gloria, now you have to change your screenname. Allora tu lo sai!

EXCELLENT! :)

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm trying. Still B&N home screen.Still cant get there thru the U, but the soft keys loaded and can get to home thru them. When I press the softkeys, they flash on the arrow bar.

Do you have a Home Launcher other than the defalut Barnes & Noble setup? It sounds like you are either getting a failure of response from SofteKeys (flashing and not doing anything) or they are working but taking back to the B&N home since that is the only one available.

If you don't have a Home Launcher you can go to the Market through the B&N Extras and then install Zeam (or another of your choice). I also recommend installing Home Manager so you can set your default Home Launcher.

If you do have a Home Launcher then you may want to try install Button Savior (an alternative to SoftKeys) and see if that works or if there is another issue to address.

*Looks like I didn't read far enough into the thread and you have got it working. If you look around in the threads there are some insturctions to help you setup Zeam SoftKeys so that you get the response you want from the physical button press.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I think I'll file this one under "great minds think alike." Or is it "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? ;)

Not a biggie. In order to fix, we have to figure out what's been set as your default home screen. Have you installed a second launcher, or do you just have the default B&N home screen so far? Also, head over to the "extras" (under the B&N menu at the bottom) and you should find SoftKeys in the list of apps. If not, reboot and it will be there. You can launch it from that point.

My long-term suggestion--if you're able to install new apps now--is to take a serious look at Button Savior (Android Market and free!). You may prefer it over SoftKeys.

-Matt
Do you have a Home Launcher other than the defalut Barnes & Noble setup? It sounds like you are either getting a failure of response from SofteKeys (flashing and not doing anything) or they are working but taking back to the B&N home since that is the only one available.

If you don't have a Home Launcher you can go to the Market through the B&N Extras and then install Zeam (or another of your choice). I also recommend installing Home Manager so you can set your default Home Launcher.

If you do have a Home Launcher then you may want to try install Button Savior (an alternative to SoftKeys) and see if that works or if there is another issue to address.

*Looks like I didn't read far enough into the thread and you have got it working. If you look around in the threads there are some insturctions to help you setup Zeam SoftKeys so that you get the response you want from the physical button press.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I can't change my screenname... .it's more cplicated than to root. Anyway my new name will be :-!NOW-I-KNOW-

Last edited:

tjbus

Jan 2, 2011
After a few months I finally convinced my friend to root his, I took mine over for him to check out last night and that was all it took. He was very thankful to me, lol!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
It is a virus that spreads pretty easily. ;) I always find that "show-and-tell" is the easiest form of contagion.

-Matt

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
Yes, thanks for all your help! For people like me who had no idea what we are doing, it's nice to have individuals like you who have the patients to help.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
It's a lot easier in person...but online just takes a few extra messages! And think...if you stick around you'll get to offer advice to the next person in your shoes. ;)

-Matt

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
In my droid phone,once I download an app I press on the icon and the app moves to my home sccreens. On the nook, the downloaded apps go to the extras....how do I move them to my home sccreen. I''m sure I'm the only one who doesn't know....

Last edited:

rainmakerrc

Jan 11, 2011
In my droid phone,once I download an app I press on the icon and the app moves to my home sccreens. On the nook, the downloaded apps go to the extras....how do I move them to my home sccreen. I''m sure I'm the only one who doesn't know....

Are you using the stock launcher? Try installing a new launcher like Zeam, Launcher Pro, or ADW. Then you can long press on an app in your app drawer and make a shortcut on your homescreen.

Sent from my NOOKcolor Android Tablet using Android Tablet Forum App