Toshiba Thrive 7 Honeycomb Tablet

OllieG

Oct 29, 2011
Toshiba's Thrive 7 tablet: Hands-on | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
...The Thrive 7 looks and performs just as if you'd blasted the 10-inch Thrive with a shrink ray. It's uses the same 1GHz, dual-core Nvidia processor, the same 1GB of RAM, same front and rear cameras, and most surprisingly--the same screen resolution.

That's right, Toshiba packed the pixel density down enough to achieve a 1,280x800-pixel resolution on a 7-inch screen. On top of that, you get the Resolution+ video enhancement used on the original, which works a little magic on video playback...

(includes video)

Toshiba Thrive 7-Inch Tablet Hands-On: Like the Original Thrive Went on a Diet

...The original Thrive's biggest faults were that it was big and awkward and the resolution on its screen was not too hot. Believe it or not, they actually did a pretty good job of correcting both of these issues. While it's still on the thick side (.47 inches to the Galaxy Tab 8.9's .34 inches), its smaller, 7-inch frame makes it very palmable. Suddenly that texturized grippiness on the back makes sense. It's actually pretty comfortable to hold...

...1280x800 resolution on a 7-inch screen looks really good. HD video actually looked HD...

(includes video)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/240669/hands_on_with_the_7inch_toshiba_thrive.html

...I immediately noticed that the display on the preproduction 7-inch Thrive looked vastly improved compared with that of the original Thrive--the new model had bright, vibrant colors. Toshiba has dispatched the noticeably large air gap between the glass and the LCD beneath, reducing glare to a minimum and increasing the perceived viewing angle. Toshiba also says that it has placed a coating on the screen to help with glare, but the company declines to get any more specific than that...

...Pixels clearly matter. When I tried a preproduction unit in advance of Toshiba's announcement, the 7-inch Thrive had the sharpest, cleanest text I've seen yet on an Android tablet. The text rendering--something I've frequently cited as a weakness of Android 3.x Honeycomb tablets--appeared smooth. Google's operating system may play some part in what I perceive as poor text rendering in other Android tablets, or maybe earlier tablet displays simply weren't of a sufficiently high pixel depth to achieve the smooth text I crave.

Toshiba announces 7-inch Thrive tablet, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget

(includes video)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello OllieG, welcome to the forum. That's quite a first post.:) Nice to have you with us at Android Tablets.

OllieG

Oct 29, 2011
Hi Spidey

Yes, I'm obsessing.

My Archos 101 G8 has been flexed once too many times. The 1.5Ghz G9's won't be here soon enough and along comes word of an ereader sized tablet with a high res screen as its differentiator. This is exactly what I've wanted, a no-compromise, visually compelling tablet that's more like 1/2 the price of an iPad.

Now all I have to do is wait a month....

OllieG

Oct 29, 2011
Despite our efforts, we were unable to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below. Your order contained a title(s) that is no longer scheduled for release. This may be because the item was discontinued or replaced by a newer version.

We have canceled this portion of your order and you will not be billed for it.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to your next visit to Barnes & Noble.

Sincerely,

-- Barnes & Noble

This part of your order will not be shipped:

Product DescriptionQuantity
7" Thrive 16GB WiFi 1GHz1

Oh, well. I'll try again later.