Toshiba Thrive OTA Update Available Prior To Official Release

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011

thrive-update.jpg

Lately the Toshiba Thrive Tablet has been widely discussed by gadget lovers. Appearance at Best Buy stores earlier than originally scheduled (July, 13) makes people more curious. Toshiba Thrive tablet itself is a 10.1 tablet, has a dual-core processor Tegra 2 with Android Honeycomb, and available in 8, 16, and 32 GB versions.

From the figure above shows that the OTA update for the Toshiba Thrive (device that has not been officially released) has been already available. This picture clearly demonstrates Toshiba's commitment to make the Toshiba Thrive as perfect as possible before the official release for gadget lovers.

Anyone of you who have got Toshiba Thrive in hand, please immediately do OTA Update for Toshiba Thrive, and give us feedback about the details of the update so that other members can know. Thanks! Be sure to check out the source link for everything Toshiba Thrive related!

Source: Thrive Forums via Android Central

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I've all but decided on this tablet as my next one, it has everything I'm looking for in a brand name Android tablet. It its beautiful.
Just not sure if a tablet larger than 7 inches is where I want to go right now.

Sent from my Rena 3 tablet using Tapatalk

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I also like the 7 inch form factor but am seriously considering the thrive. I noticed this tablet is advertised as having a geforce graphic chipset, didn't know if this was standard fair with the Tegra2 processor or not.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

token2k6

Jul 11, 2011
I bought this yesterday, first thing at 10am from Best Buy. I initially saw it on display the day before, and tried to be coy with 3 different reps to try and get them to sell it to me early..they wouldn't! Anyways, so I get the 16gb (they claimed they had no 8gb, only 16 and 32) and I buy the Zagg shield for $29.99 (front screen only, obviously don't need the back) and paid $14.99 for a Mobile Tech to install it (not Geek Squad). About half way thru him getting the shield on, he notices that the metallic bezel where the camera is had a huge chip in the coating or whatever, leaving a white spot. Very happy he pointed it out, b/c I didn't notice it, they grab another unit. Immediately on inspection, him and another employee notice a slight line or bend in the screen. Great! Things not looking well..however the third time was a charm, and the unit was fine. Strange thing about these, is there is no power charged, so you have to plug it in before it will even turn on.

Anyways, I get this thing charged up, in what seemed what a short amount of time (can only compare it to 4 hours my 3DS takes, LOL) probably an 1.5 hours at the most. I started using that thing like no other. It is my first tablet, and first time to mess around with Android since my wife's launch G1 some 3 years ago now..It was awesome! Everything I could have hoped for. I put some Tablet enhanced apps from the Market on there. Installed Amazon AppStore app, all the Angry Birds stuff. Later, I loaded up a 4gb SD card with files for testing. I was pretty sure I read this thing could decode XViD, and I put a TBP tv show that was a .AVI file, with XViD I assume and it did not play at all...everything else I put on there worked fine.

The hardware is great. IDK why everyone is bashing the display..yeah the shipped Auto-Brightness enabled makes it really dark, but as soon as I upped the brightness it was like it was new all over again! Toshiba's core software bits work well, the file manager is really nice.

I don't know the specifics of what the OTA update changed, as it was one of the first things I checked and did..

sneakyllama

Jul 11, 2011
My 32GB Thrive arrived today from Amazon and it is a thing of beauty. I completed the OTA update, but did not notice any changes. My only complaint is the amount of bloatware and trial software that I cannot uninstall. Hopefully this is rooted by weeks end to allow me to remove this crap. Without all the extras, this is a great mobile business platform.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
My 32GB Thrive arrived today from Amazon and it is a thing of beauty. I completed the OTA update, but did not notice any changes. My only complaint is the amount of bloatware and trial software that I cannot uninstall. Hopefully this is rooted by weeks end to allow me to remove this crap. Without all the extras, this is a great mobile business platform.

Be sure to check out our sister site at Toshiba Thrive Forums if you haven't already. ;)

mtejera

Jul 11, 2011
I just got mine today and I wished I would have paid to have the the Zagg shield installed. I didn't want to pay the geek squad so much money because I could do all the set ups. the shield does not look good. I'm waiting to see if it dries up and looks better. I do however, absolutely love the tablet. I'm looking around to read about the best apps. So far I have done the basic, email, news, whether, etc. Any suggestions on good notepads, a better calendar (never liked the gmail calendar), apps for docs and for watching tv shoes and movies, I would really appreciate it.

Again, have to say I love this tablet. Has every type of connection ports and it is still light and beautiful!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I just got mine today and I wished I would have paid to have the the Zagg shield installed. I didn't want to pay the geek squad so much money because I could do all the set ups. the shield does not look good. I'm waiting to see if it dries up and looks better. I do however, absolutely love the tablet. I'm looking around to read about the best apps. So far I have done the basic, email, news, whether, etc. Any suggestions on good notepads, a better calendar (never liked the gmail calendar), apps for docs and for watching tv shoes and movies, I would really appreciate it.

Again, have to say I love this tablet. Has every type of connection ports and it is still light and beautiful!

Hold on, if you needed to put on a zagg does this mean the Thrive does not have gorilla glass? It must not because why would you waste that kind of money if it did when you absolutely dont need it. This would be a deal breaker for me, I would never buy another tablet without gorilla glass or its equivalent.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
I'm looking around to read about the best apps. So far I have done the basic, email, news, whether, etc. Any suggestions on good notepads, a better calendar (never liked the gmail calendar), apps for docs and for watching tv shoes and movies, I would really appreciate it.

Check out this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/honeycomb/15096-optimized-honeycomb-apps-list.html

token2k6

Jul 11, 2011
One thing I did notice after I did this OTA update..when I set the tablet down, after manually pressing the button to turn off the screen, 30 seconds later the screen pops on for 5 seconds then shuts off. AFIAK, its not doing it b/c a message popped up or anything b/c I always look in the bottom corner. Now, I also installed numerous apps, so I'm not sure if one of those is the culprit, pretty crappy if it is.

Should I be worried or contact Toshiba? or is this in the normal realm for Android stuff??

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I for one appreciate the feedback!
I'm still eying this one up big time, and might actually head to best Buy to get some face time with one this weekend.

It's a fairly big purchase, but I really want to get into some hardware that stands a chance of being decently supported over time as opposed to the inexpensive tablets that are at best hit-and-miss with support.
I think I'm coming to the end of my "joy of tinkering" phase with these things, and just want it to do stuff well now, but I still want the connectivity features because I will end up tinkering on one level or another anyway. ;)