Toshiba Thrive Tablet up for Pre-Orders Today

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Toshiba’s Thrive tablet may not be the first Android slate to the market, but it’s looking like that little extra time has given the company room to buff off some of the rough edges we’ve seen on other Honeycomb models. Up for pre-order today, priced from $429.99 for the 8GB model, the Thrive runs NVIDIA’s 1GHz Tegra 2 dual-core but also throws in a full-sized HDMI port and full-sized SD card slot.

thriveside.png

That means adding to the onboard storage isn’t as expensive as with microSD or, indeed, having Toshiba fit more flash memory. Still, there are 16GB and 32GB models – at $479.99 and $579.99 respectively – on offer too. Other specs include a 5-megapixel camera on the front, a 2-megapixel webcam on the back, WiFi b/g/n and Bluetooth, along with GPS and all the sensors you’d expect: digital compass, ambient light and accelerometer.

Meanwhile, the battery is also user-replaceable, so you can switch it out for a full pack and extend your runtime. The rear cover is covered in rubberized plastic, for better grip, and you can opt for the standard black or pick a more colorful hue. A USB 2.0 port makes hooking up peripherals easy, and there’s a mini USB as well. Toshiba also offers a docking station for $59.99 that has power, HDMI, two USB 2.0 ports and a 3.5mm audio output. Orders are expected to begin shipping in mid-July.

So who's getting one of these bad boys? ;)

List of Retailers

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
Sounds like a bad ass. Hmm thin or To Win That is the Question....

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

NCTurner

Apr 25, 2011
Already pre-ordered via Amazon....can't wait! I had a Xoom when they first came out, and returned it. Been using an iPad 2, and I miss the Android OS! Anyone here a ship date yet? Toshiba is reporting "middle of July", but it would be nice to have something more specific.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I don't know why anyone would want this. What does it have that the Transformer does not?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
I don't know why anyone would want this. What does it have that the Transformer does not?

Full sized ports
Removable/replacable battery
Changable backplates
Built in file manager and tool that lets you connect to any printers using the same WiFi network.
Comes with it's own media organization software
Comes with Swype pre installed
The "Toshiba" name

To those interested in the THRiVE, be sure to check out http://www.thriveforums.org

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
Looks like an awesome tab. Has alot of features not seen elsewhere.

NCTurner

Apr 25, 2011
Full sized portsRemovable/replacable batteryChangable backplatesBuilt in file manager and tool that lets you connect to any printers using the same WiFi network. Comes with it's own media organization softwareComes with Swype pre installedThe "Toshiba" nameTo those interested in the THRiVE, be sure to check out Toshiba Thrive Forums
This! Also the screen is supposed to be better....adaptive.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think this will be my Honeycomb tablet if only because Toshiba is awesome. I think that is reason enough.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

clintonb

May 15, 2011
This tablet looks fantastic! Definitely a cut above the rest in terms of connectivity and functionality. A huge tick in my book! However, it's big downfall is in the weight. This is basically the heaviest tablet out there! Anyone that's handled the iPad1 (680g) will notice a significant improvement in weight when handling the ipad2 (601g). The weight difference definitely improves the experience. Yet this bad boy (the toshiba) comes in at a hefty 771g! It could possibly be a deal breaker for me.I love the idea of being able to hold a tablet in one hand upside down while laying on the couch, watching a video. With the toshiba, this won't be doable. For this, im not sure if id make the purchase. Apart from that aspect it definitely is brilliant!

acura9927

Jun 12, 2011
I pre ordered one just because of ONE reason, I can replace the battery in a few years! I do not like the idea of throwing away my tablet when the battery dies like all the others out there.