Touchpad and mouse support. Why?

Dec 17, 2010
The Transformer's keyboards (both models) have a built in trackpad and also allow you to plug in a USB mouse. What's the point? Is there any Android software that will take advantage of these? Will this be limited to Transformer specific apps?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Think 0f it this way, if, instead of using your trackpad on your netbook, you had to reach out and touch the screen, how inconvenient that would be. The trakpad works just like it does on your netbook or laptop, the difference being that when you touch the trackpad it puts a cursor on the screen which you move to the point you would touch then you click the button or tap the trackpad to select. It works seamlessly for the most part and truly converts the Transformer into a powerful netbook.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
By the way, it is not application specific and works with any app that doesn't require multitouch, and many that do (the rackpad itself is multitouch).

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I also believe that you can get this functionality with other Honeycomb tablets using a Bluetooth mouse.

I find it handy when I need to click on a link. Much more accurate than my finger, or even a fine tipped stylus.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Honestly, after spending too much time, and experiencing way too much frustration, entering text with on screen keyboards (everything from swype to Grafitti etc etc) I coudn't imagine getting along without a hardware keyboard and trackpad or mouse. And really you can pick up a keyboard pretty cheap.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
For me what i find is that I use the BT Keyboard and Mouse all day at the office as I do email, site admin, etc and find them invaluable. Then when I get home, it is pretty much all touchscreen, so both formats are used.

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
Keyboard, without mouse. Occasionally, though, I do attach a mouse when I run word processing or spreadsheets.

I rarely detach the HW keyboard; when I do, it's a switch to Thumb Keyboard. I like having the screen spacing that allows me to thumb type fairly quickly.

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
I decided for the transformer so I have a keyboard in case i want to write mails or something. A Bluethooth KB was no option (dont want to carry thousend different pieces), and the asus also benefits from an extra battery in the dock .. pretty perfect for me :)

But really, in the Pad+Dock Kit is only ONE Power/USB Kabel .. i wish there where 2 in case loading the tab without the dock