Transfering photos to NC straight from my DSLR...can it be done?

bbs

Jan 30, 2011
Hi guys,

One thing that I have yet to tried but don't know whether it can be accomplished is to transfer my photos directly to NC from my DSLR, so that I can review the photos on NC while I am on the trip. Can it be done using any accessory? It would be good if I don't need my laptop at all to transfer the photo files. Thanks for your input.

BBS

opjose

Feb 12, 2011
Why not insert the camera card directly into the Nook?

At worst use a Micro SD adapter?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Why not insert the camera card directly into the Nook?

At worst use a Micro SD adapter?

This is probably the only way to make this happen right now..

Just brainstorming some ideas here....

In the future, if a) you have a bluetooth camera and b) they get bluetooth actually working.

Another option would be one of those wifi SD cards in the camera and somehow share out a folder on the NC for the card to dump to.. I have no idea how to make that happen, or if it's even possible.

Maybe you can aim the wifi SD cards at something akin to Dropbox, Photobucker, Mediafire........? Again, may not even be possible, but it would eliminate the need for a PC to be involved.

I'd adjust the quality settings though, no matter how you end up making the transfer happen. A few good shots from my Rebel XT would fill my NC and mSD up pretty quickly.

bbs

Jan 30, 2011
I haven't tried using the micro SD adapter on a DSLR. I will try it soon and see whether it works. I don't know if my Rebel T2i has bluetooth in it, but if it has, it would be a great possibility. Thanks for the responses.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I just started using a microSD card (8 GB) with an adaptor in my Canon pocket camera for this very reason. It is a bit of a pain to turn off my Nook, remove the resident microSD card, insert the camera card, restart the Nook to see the photos, then reverse the process, but it does work.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
The micro sd adapter is the way to go, you don't have to turn off the NC though. Go to settings>storage>unmount sd card, pop out your sd and insert the one from the camera. For the record as well if you use Dropbox or Picasa etc you can use a file manager, navigate to the pics, long press and upload directly. Picasa also offers a unique email address that allows you to email photos directly to your online galleries. If any one needs more info let me know.

I have yet to purchase an EyeFi Amazon.com: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC: Electronics because my D40x has some minor compatibility issues. I am waiting till I upgrade my DSLR to buy an Eye-fi. But I would imagine there is a way to get photos to the NC using one.

On a related note I discovered a new cloud sync/storage app called Cloud Experience https://www.cx.com/ 10gb free storage and an app in the market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cx.client.android&feature=search_result. Works like Dropbox if not as elegant.

I am in no way associated with this company. I just always like to share opportunities for free storage.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
Not really interested in uploading my photos to the net. Unmounting the microSD card is good info though. Thanks.

bbs

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks for all the inputs. I will try different methods to see which one works (the best).

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Not really interested in uploading my photos to the net. Unmounting the microSD card is good info though. Thanks.

I use free cloud storage like this for archiving purposes.:cool: You can never have enough opportunities to back up your photos. :mad:I speak from personal experience:mad:. Storage is cheap. If you use Gmail/Picasa you already have 8gb free and 80gb is $20/yr.

:D If it is not in three different places it doesn't exist. :D

PC, terrestrial back-up, cloud.

Just Sayin'

Cheers,

LS

kevint

Mar 14, 2011
Hi guys,

One thing that I have yet to tried but don't know whether it can be accomplished is to transfer my photos directly to NC from my DSLR, so that I can review the photos on NC while I am on the trip. Can it be done using any accessory? It would be good if I don't need my laptop at all to transfer the photo files. Thanks for your input.

BBS

Hi,

I'm the author of an app called MoPhotos that will allow you to transfer photos from your Eye-Fi card to a Nook Color. I just recently picked up a Nook Color, and I was able to get this to work (I plan to make a demo video of how to set this up eventually). I had to connect both the Eye-Fi card and my Nook Color to a common access point (through my Nexus One). Once connected, the Eye-Fi card could upload photos to the NC. The downside to this is that the NC does not have GPS, so geotagging is not possible. There is a new app, called Tether GPS, that gives you a software GPS on the NC if you are tethered to a phone that has a hardware GPS.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the site, but if you look in my profile (or search in the market), you should be able to find the app, if interested.

I hope this doesn't come across as spam...I'm just trying to suggest a solution to you.

Best Regards,
Kevin

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I use free cloud storage like this for archiving purposes.:cool: You can never have enough opportunities to back up your photos. :mad:I speak from personal experience:mad:. Storage is cheap. If you use Gmail/Picasa you already have 8gb free and 80gb is $20/yr.

:D If it is not in three different places it doesn't exist. :D

PC, terrestrial back-up, cloud.

Just Sayin'

Cheers,

LS

I have several terabytes of files. Cloud storage isn't an option as it would take a LOOOOOONG time to upload. I keep a backup at home, at work and at a friends house in another part of town. Yes, I use a lot of hard drives.