Transformer: To root or not to root.....

DougP

Jan 2, 2011
Just got home from Best Buy with my new Transformer. Im letting it get a good charge before I start playing. I am replacing my Huawei S7 with the TF and Ive been reading around this forum and it seems (unless I read wrong) that not everyone is rooting the TF.

Is it not needed? Can you side load apps with root? I just assumed rooting it would be best to play with it.

If you all dont mind please gives me the ins and outs of rooting or not rooting my new TF.

Thanks much

DougP

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
Well, most do the rooting to get into stuff that is usually locked from the owners adjusting.

Fortunately, that's lessened quite a bit by having an 'open garden' OS like Android. It's further opened in the fact that ASUS doesn't add a lot of overlay programs onto the OS - HTC uses Sense, Moto uses MOTOblur.

The only reason left, in the case of a TF owner, to root would be to 'tweak' the OS for better performance.

Sideloading doesn't need root access. All it needs it a simple look through the settings to find a check box to allow 'Third Party Apps'.

Frankly, unless you REALLY need to root, I would suggest that you hold off.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

DougP

Jan 2, 2011
thanks much for the info TheCentauress !! For what all Im gonna do with the TF, it sounds like I will be fine just leaving it alone. I will have to search for the third party apps feature.

Other toys I rooted and ROMed were my HTC Hero phone and my Huawei S7 tab (for obvious reasons on both)

Now if some one made website software like Expression or Dreamweaver for Android, I would be all set!!

bigblue206

Dec 2, 2010
I haven't rooted my Transformer either. The only thing that has made me want to is something like Titanium Backup. THe Tablet just runs so well that I haven't seen the need yet.