tricky wifi connection project

Dougahole1

Mar 20, 2013
I spend the winter in Puerto Rico and it happens that the only way that I can have internet service is sharing with a neighbour who is approximately 100 yards away. I have a high gain antenna which picks up the signal from our private network which is supported by a Linksys WRT54G (older router) router. This works well when I am connected by hard wire to my laptop through a USB adapter (Alfa, also not 'n'). NOTE Puerto Rico does not appear to support 'n'. So, to make maters worse, I recently purchased a tablet which, of course, is just barely strong enough to connect to the router. Not too convenient.
In order to solve the problem, I purchased a wifi repeater, and ran the wireless signal into it. The repeater is 'n' but is supposed to be backward compatible, but this does not work. I am not sure if that is because it is 'n' , or not.
I can make changes to the router configuration from my laptop if that would be necessary, but I can not see what it is that I would change. I am stuck and looking for any help. Thanks