Troubleshooting creating a dual-boot CM7 SD card

bradfordbunch

Dec 17, 2011
I've meticulously followed the directions regarding the creation of a SD card for dual-booting noted here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html. My NC recognizes the SD card for the initial boot involving the setup of the card. In watching the messages that scroll along during this process, I noticed toward the end (shortly before the NC powers off once the process completes) a few errors indicating something similar to: mv write error no space left on device. It goes by pretty quickly. When I then turn the NC back on, the SD card is ignored and the boot-up process continues into the stock OS.

I'm using a new Amazon 8GB Class 10 SD card. I've used a utility to verify the SD card has no problem sectors and can read/write fine. In looking at the SD card after the setup process completes, the partition that can be read by Windows indicates a capacity of 115MB, with 107MB free. I've used SDFormatter after each attempt to re-initialize the SD card.

The NC I'm doing this on has the latest 1.4.1 firmware revision. I couldn't locate an image file specifically for that version, so I've been trying the 1.3 image file available here: Index of /~green/nook. I've seen comments on other forums indicating this appears to work fine for others. I'll appreciate others troubleshooting ideas.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

bradfordbunch

Dec 17, 2011
the instructions aren't 100% up to date since Google changed the size of the Gapps and there isn't quite enough space in the boot partition to complete the process. You either need to follow the instructions here [ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. - xda-developers or use a partition manager after burning the image to the sd card to make the boot partition a little larger (~150MB).

Thanks for the feedback. I re-sized the main partition larger to 150MB and I'm up and running! :) For those having the same issue, here's what I did:
  • Follow the steps at the link http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html up to (and including) step 4.
  • Before continuing to step 5, use a utility to increase the FAT32 partition size from ~112MB to 150MB. I used EASEUS Partition Master (free home edition version). If you use that app, you simply right click on the partition to re-size it. You'll need to select 'Apply' to invoke the update (the upper-left command on the screen -- having to do this wasn't initially obvious to me).
  • Once the partition is re-sized, then continue onto step 5 of the instructions.

arc402

Dec 18, 2011
Hey guys, I am dealing with this same issue. When I try to reformat, the SD card still only shows 117mb.

When I do the reformat shouldn't the SD card look factory fresh again? As in 8GB free, nothing left on the card? SDFormatter says it was successful.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey guys, I am dealing with this same issue. When I try to reformat, the SD card still only shows 117mb.

When I do the reformat shouldn't the SD card look factory fresh again? As in 8GB free, nothing left on the card? SDFormatter says it was successful.

Hello arc, this depends on what you are trying to do. This thread is for repartitioning the boot partition to allow a CM7 bootable disk to run the setup process. If this is what you are trying to do you shouldn't be formatting the disk.

If you are trying to start over and want to restore the disk back to factory fresh there are a couple of ways. First you can boot into your stock Nook and then instert the card, go to settings, unmount the card and choose format. The Nook has a good built in formatter.

Otherwise you can right click on the disk in My Computer on your pc and choose format. If this only formats the boot partition you may need to uncheck the box that says quick format.

arc402

Dec 18, 2011
Hello arc, this depends on what you are trying to do. This thread is for repartitioning the boot partition to allow a CM7 bootable disk to run the setup process. If this is what you are trying to do you shouldn't be formatting the disk.

If you are trying to start over and want to restore the disk back to factory fresh there are a couple of ways. First you can boot into your stock Nook and then instert the card, go to settings, unmount the card and choose format. The Nook has a good built in formatter.

Otherwise you can right click on the disk in My Computer on your pc and choose format. If this only formats the boot partition you may need to uncheck the box that says quick format.

I ran into the same issue as the OP, I created the CM7 Card (8gb Sandisk Class 4) and stuck it in the Nook w/ 1.4.1 firmware. I used the latest google apps download, so I ran into some space constraints at 117mb on the partition. I reboot the Nook and it loads the normal Nook OS as if the card was never inserted.

Would you recommend I start over at this point and wipe the SD clean? I guess I was under the impression that I needed to run a partition manager BEFORE i tried booting the first time on the nook.

I should add, and i suppose this may be expected behavior, but the only partition that Windows sees is the 117mb one, so partition manager won't let me incerease the partition size at this point, only decrease. I have done a "full format" as opposed to quick format and I get the same result... still shows 117mb.

*edit*
** I put the SD card back in the Nook, Unmounted it, and used the Nook's internal formatter and it took my SD card back to factory fresh, all 8 gb. I will be starting from the top, but bumping up the boot partition, and testing again. I will post my results.

Last edited:

arc402

Dec 18, 2011
After reformatting and adjusting the boot partition CM7 booted right up.

Thanks to Bradford and J515 for your contributions in this thread!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
After reformatting and adjusting the boot partition CM7 booted right up.

Thanks to Bradford and J515 for your contributions in this thread!

Very nice, I didn't even have a chance to reply and tell you that you were right on track. Glad you got it :)

Jan 1, 2012
I have a new Nook tablet. After a couple failed "Android boots," I repartitioned my Patriot 32GB microSD to 150. I feel like I followed the other instructions correctly. However, when I put the SD back in nook and turn it on, it boots up as a normal nook. It has never booted up any different. What am I doing wrong?
Also, I am not sure if it matters, but I had downloaded gapps-gb-20110307-signed in stead of gapps-gb-20110828-signed. Is this an issue?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I have a new Nook tablet. After a couple failed "Android boots," I repartitioned my Patriot 32GB microSD to 150. I feel like I followed the other instructions correctly. However, when I put the SD back in nook and turn it on, it boots up as a normal nook. It has never booted up any different. What am I doing wrong?
Also, I am not sure if it matters, but I had downloaded gapps-gb-20110307-signed in stead of gapps-gb-20110828-signed. Is this an issue? Thank you

The Nook Tablet is locked down and will not allow a custom ROM or any dual boot rooting to be run. Please read the threads in the Nook Tablet section for more info. I removed your email address as it is a bad ideal to post it as you did unless you like getting flooded with spam.

Last edited:

motorbreath

Jan 2, 2012
I am in the same predicament you were in. I did, however, use MiniTool Position Wizard to enlarge the partition on my card. Before that, it would do everything you mentioned: i.e. unpack all files, then boot straight into official Nook software. After I used the MiniTool, it did take me as far as to a Cyanogen loading page after all files open and unpacked, then: nothing. Blank screen. It wasn't the CM7 boot logo, but a smaller Cyanogen logo, green in color. So I thought I'd run through the steps again - 6 times total, each time formatting the SD card with SDFormatter v2.0. But the last time I enlarged the partition, my PC was unable to recognize my card or other micro SD's that are known to be good, and still won't after several restarts. Does anyone have some insight as to how I can recover my lost drive? Or whatever is going on here?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Tablet Forum

garynook

Jan 8, 2012
Successfully loaded CM7 on sd card. Thank you or the detailed instructions.

Gary

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Jan 1, 2012
That is crazy, because after several times of doing that with my card it also is no longer recognized!! It is in the nook, but not in my computer.

beaujack

Jan 3, 2012
Thanks. I have successfully installed CM7 on my SD for Nook Color, rooted at 1.4.1. However I have forgotten how to boot into the rooted Nook as an alternative to CM7. I know I did it yesterday, but I guess I'm having a senior moment.
OK, the big dummy just figured it out. Hold N key, power up, releas power up and choose.

Last edited: