Trying to add a USB GPS to Z280/C91 Upgrade/ICS 4.0.3

carpengui

Apr 6, 2012
Greetings;

The tablet doesn't directly support GPS internally, so I have obtained a Gosget SD-200 USB GPS receiver.
It seems that I naively thought this would be straightforward... surely the drivers are present, right?

SD-200 Supported protocols are... well, just about everything, according to the specs: NMEA 0183v3 GGA(1sec), GSA(1sec), GSV(5sec),RMC(1sec), GLL,VTG is optional.

I plug it into the USB port, enabled 'GPS Satellites' in the location services and disabled the two Google location service options... which are eerily accurate on their own. Now I bring up the Google Maps.... nothing. Unable to obtain location.

Now there does seem to be an attempt to do something:
1. If GPS is disabled in Settings, the Maps give me an error msg: "Please enable a My Location source in system settings."
2. If GPS is enabled in Settings while the dongle is active (and locked on), then the map app waits 14 seconds before announcing 'Your current location is temporarily unavailable'.
3. Hmmmm.... I get exactly the same behavior as #2 with the dongle unplugged. That suggests to me that it isn't even being recognized.

So my guess it twofold:
1. It doesn't recognize the GPS dongle hanging off the UPS port;
2. It is looking for an internal device not present during that 14 second delay

Can anybody confirm, deny, or correct those findings?
Cheers.