Trying to avoid issues with Nook Update.

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
Hi all,

sorry if this is a redundant question. My Nook Color has not auto updated as of yet. Am i not sure what is going to happen when it tries to auto update. will it mess with everything i have done since rooting it? and i know someone out there is going to ask me how i rooted my nook. well to tell the truth i do not remember what steps i took. i was so excited that i was able to do this that i pretty much jumped in with out looking. but since all went very well i have not had to really look at the procedures since then.. so if any one has any insight on what may happen please let me know..
thank you
Rob

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
rfonz, since you are saying rooted I'll take that to mean that the Barnes & Noble features are still intact and that you didn't use a custom ROM (phiremod, CM7, UD). In that case all you need to do is install ClockworkMod Recovery to prevent an unwanted update (see the link below for full instructions).

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

1. Download and install ROM Manager (should be version 4.0 or higher) from the Market.
2. Open ROM Manager and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" (CWR)
3. Select "Nook Color" (not old).
4. Reboot.

To verify install or make a backup:

1. Open ROM Manager and select "Reboot Recovery".
2. This should boot you into CWR.
3. To make backups read the link above.
4. Reboot into Nook.

JP

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
JP,
Before I ManualNooted I made a backup of my stock B&N 1.2 system using CWR on an SD card. So, the backup is on that SD card.
1. If I use ROM Manager to flash CWR, will I be able to use the flashed CWR to restore the backup on my CWR SD card?
2. Will I still return to my completely stock B&N 1.2 after the restore?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JP,
Before I ManualNooted I made a backup of my stock B&N 1.2 system using CWR on an SD card. So, the backup is on that SD card.
1. If I use ROM Manager to flash CWR, will I be able to use the flashed CWR to restore the backup on my CWR SD card?
2. Will I still return to my completely stock B&N 1.2 after the restore?

Spider, good for you making a clean copy backup ;) Usually its the first instruction in the process and the first one skipped.

1. Yes ask long as you have access to CWR and can boot into it nomatter where it comes from (ROM Manager, flashed from zip or on a bootable SD) you can flash backups from it.

2. You can flash back to any restore you have created. If it is a stock nandoird (CWR backup) then when you flash it you will be stock (except CWR may still be installed if you have it internal).

JP

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
JP
Will the flashed CWR be able to access backups on the SD card or will I have to move it the Nook?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
JP Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you get some rest now. :)