Trying to Identify Kernel, Possible Overclocking Possibilities for DM7022 Radio

rvcullen

Oct 2, 2011
Hey! I am trying to see if I can figure out who made the kernel for my Android/double DIN car radio bought from Hong Kong. It is also known as the Car/Droid as well. It basically has a removable tablet as the front of the radio. Great idea, but poor performance.
It looks to use the TCC8902 development board with 8gb of NVram, and Android 2.1. I get no help from the seller of course, so wondering if anyone knows this graphic image that comes up when it boots. Maybe that can help me to tinker around in it.
I posted the first boot image and then a small graphic which comes after that, some rodent or something??
Actually hoping to speed it up a bit however I can. I already did the Mali.ko mod and it worked great for Angry Birds, but mostly Slacker Radio stutters and loads real slow, so hoping to get it faster a bit.

Thanks for any help you may have!
$PA020001.JPG$PA020002.JPG$PA020003.JPG

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
I just bought the same thing and am kind of upset with it as well. The headunit mode when the droid is plugged in is basically non functioning (not that you would want to use it). I can only get bluetooth to connect in headunit mode for about a minute. I haven't found any roms that im certain are compatible.

Last edited:

rvcullen

Oct 2, 2011
I guess you get what you pay for here, oh well. I saw a youtube video from OSGUI where he had a "epad with 8gb" that he reviewed and it had the same bootup screens and the same blue buttons in the notification area too. Looked to be a M701 type of a tablet, but still looking around for the same firmware. Wish i could overclock a bit, one site said they had the same chip run at 1ghz?? Love that if it could happen.
I added a dimming widget to help at night, and added slacker radio so I could cache music on it. Slacker runs, but it's definitely slow to load. I also use copilot live for GPS which has some slowness to the menus but overall works well with the tab anyway.

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
I use my motorola droid 3's mobile wifi hotspot and have the tablet connect to its internet connection. I'm using ultra car home with google maps, poweramp music player(has an equalizer), pandora internet radio. Ultra car home is awesome and it has an option to change color themes and brightness for night and day settings. you can also set it to have shortcuts for navigation to preset locations so you dont die trying

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
Why doesnt voice work? I go to text-to-speech in settings and it won't let me download the voice data. The tablet and the car unit both have microphones I don't get it. Were you able to establish root?

Last edited:

rvcullen

Oct 2, 2011
Nice! Gonna have to check that option out. Working on the root issue now, seems to have a NAND lock to get past. So far I could temorarily root with Z4root.

I used superoneclick 2.1.1 along with Z4 to make system R/W which then says it rooted fine, but once you reboot anyway it loses it. Stinks without having any firmware to try out. I've seen other TCC8902 tablets run much faster than this one, so kind of pisses you off! LOL

Last edited:

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
I really want to get the voice search to work any ideas? I've downloaded the apk and it just crashes onces its installed

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
I tried using superoneclick and after it I went to superuser and it said it needed to update my SU binary then it said I didn't have root so I'm not sure what the deal is

rvcullen

Oct 2, 2011
No clue on the voice search from me, hoping others will chime in with some thoughts on unlocking the NAND also. Anyone know of any files I can tweak in Android to help speed up anyhting with the TCC8902. Rough since there is no permanent root or ROM's out for this oddball tablet.

rvcullen

Oct 2, 2011
I was trying Car Home Ultra which is nice, but my GPS speed says I'm going 50mph when I am only going about 25MPH. I checked all the settings I could think of, but it still reports the speed wrong so now my navigation jerks around on the map as it readjusts my location. Was yours working fine when you got it?

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
heh, mine says im going a little slower than I am but it didn't have any effects on my navigation. I think you can adjust the GPS refresh rate that might have something to do with it

Last edited:

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
What is wrong with this voice search?! I don't get why it doesn't work. The sound recorder works and it only requires android 1.6 to run. I can not figure it out. I can get it installed via the .apk but it just crashes
EDIT: I used z4root to gain root and I found a partial fix for the voice search. It allows me to use the voice search and recognition of a program called edwin that previously didn't work before. Google Voice search is still force closing but im going to try a few more versions.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-1-technical/15541-google-voice-search.html

Last edited:

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
Got Voice search working(have to be root of course). Had to use adb to push a lib file to /system/lib and a different version of google voice search to the system/app folder. I also had to delete a lot of files in the /system/media/audio folder to make room because for some reason the /system/ partition comes completely full. I can get the exact files and versions for you if you want.

EDIT: Uploaded the libspeech.so file (goes in /system/lib) and VoiceSearch.apk (goes in /system/app)
BTW: z4root allowed me permanent root even after reboot

Attachments

• $VoiceSearchFix.zip
    412.9 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:

blankers

Oct 28, 2011
Mibix: Can you tell me what version of z4root you used to root ?
I tried the latest (3.01) and it tells me it rooted, but when I try to run Titanium Backup it says Not Rooted !
Strange that the root access app tells me I am rooted........

It would be nice to try some other rome or mess with the system files, but without a backup rom, I'm afraid of bricking the unit !!
I don't suppose anyone has a copy........

Mibix

Oct 6, 2011
Mibix: Can you tell me what version of z4root you used to root ?
I tried the latest (3.01) and it tells me it rooted, but when I try to run Titanium Backup it says Not Rooted !
Strange that the root access app tells me I am rooted........

It would be nice to try some other rome or mess with the system files, but without a backup rom, I'm afraid of bricking the unit !!
I don't suppose anyone has a copy........
When I go to the about it says z4root Version 1.3.0 made by RyanZA
My titanium backup is working fine