Turn Nook Tablet into Android tablet WITHOUT voiding warranty?

Jan 1, 2012
Ok, so after spending 3 days worth of research, buying a microSD card, and a full 7 frustrating hours trying to make a boot SD in order to turn my Nook into an Android tablet, I find out it wasn't working because all the instructions were for the Nook COLOR, not TABLET! Oh my.
So, my question now is: is there anything that can be done, to date, with the Tablet? I read that the Tablet is locked to prevent the hacking, but I am not sure what the date was on that info. Please note... I have the warranty on my tablet (and with my luck I will probably need it), so I do not want to do anything to it that will void it. I am sure that after the warranty runs out, I wouldn't mind. I have tried to read through some forums on here because it sounds like there are some things I could do. However, although I love my gadgets and figure everything out without reading manuals, I am not a programer or have enough indepth knowledge of all this. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I have updated it to the 1.4.1 software version, and the microSD card I got was a Patriot 32GB Class10. I would greatly apprecate any help!
I am currently overseas with the military, so if there is anything I need to buy, I will have to order and wait almost 2 weeks for it.

FPGFHFMA

Dec 13, 2011
See all the posts by member Indirect and also the YOU TUBE Posts by Albert Wertz they include step by step instructions for everything you could want to do. You could also search You Tube using Nook Tablet his video's will walk you through the steps.

Jan 1, 2012
Thank you for all your help. I wish I had researched and found out to not download that update... before I updated!

geesh... update download is expected to take 8 hrs!

Jan 1, 2012
when I restore back to the original version, will I loose all settings, apps, books, etc. since it has to reboot 8 times?

Jan 1, 2012
Ok, so I got that downloaded. I was watching the video on the site you gave me as I was doing it just to make sure I did it right. However, when I turned my NT back on with SD in, it didn't tell me to wait for loading and show a progress bar. I just told me to restart my device and try again. I tried it a couple times; twice tried re-formating SD and downloading file again; even deleted file off hard drive and downloaded it again from the site. Still telling me to restart and try again. The acclaim_update zipped folder I have is 4.94MB, which I got off the Team Komin Files site that the link sent me to, and I was putting it on my Patriot 32GB Class10 SD. What am I doing wrong?

Jan 1, 2012
I just thought of something. Do I need to put a boot "program" on my SD card before I try to put the 1.4.0 software? I know when I was trying to make the boot disc using instructions for the Nook Color, that this is what I had to do.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Elizabeth, please try the following.

1. Reformat your SD card. To do this insert the card in the Nook, go to Settings>Device Info>SD Card and Unmount SD Card > Format SD Card. You should now have a factory fresh SD card. Power down your nook and remove the card.
2. Download the file from the link in the XDA post. Save it as: acclaim_update.zip
3. Put your SD card in a card reader so that you have access to in from the PC. Copy the file from the directory you downloaded it on to the SD card. Do not change the name of the file, do not unzip the file and do not put the file in any folders on the SD card (put it in the root of the SD card).
4. Insert the SD card into the Nook and power on.

If this doesn't work, check in and let us know so we can move onto the troubleshooting.

Jan 1, 2012
JP,
I really appreciate you taking your time with me on this. I started to follow your directions, above. I had done this before, but this time I turned my nook off before I took out the card, like you said. All the other times I unmounted, erased/formated, and took out SD without turning the Nook off first. Well, now, when I put the SD into my computer, it automatically asks me to format the disk. I choose to formate it gives me "unknown capacity", "FAT (default)", and "default allocation size." FAT32 is not even a choice. I tried a format anyway, but I got told it was unable to format the disk in the drive. I tried it twice! It had never done that the several times I worked with it before.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What happens if you put the card back in the Nook? Is it recognized? This does sound like either a bad card or a bad format on the last run. After formatting you definitely need to either unmount the card before removing or power down and remove. Just ejecting a mounted card from the Nook is never a good idea. Same goes for the pc by the way, you should always safely eject the card through software before physically ejecting it.

If the card continues to have these issues formatting in the pc and the Nook then it is possible it is a bad card.

Jan 1, 2012
The card is still recognized in the nook; it says it has an sd card that hs 31.9GB free. I just unmounted it so I could erase/format it, then unmounted it so I could take it out. BUT when I put it in my computer, it still says the disk needs to be formatted as soon as I put it in my computer, but then says it can't formmat. And when I click on My computer and then the drive for the card, it says there is no card and doesn't show the 31.9GB like it did in the nook. ?! Do you think the larger SD carder reader thing is messed up? It isn't my computer, because I tried it in someone else's computer and it didn't even recognize we put it in.
I really want to be able to get more use out of my Nook, but I am about ready to give up!!

Jan 1, 2012
I guess it isn't possible to put the card in my nook, plug the nook to my computer, copy the accliam update zip folder to the SD, then restart the nook... is it?!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I guess it isn't possible to put the card in my nook, plug the nook to my computer, copy the accliam update zip folder to the SD, then restart the nook... is it?!

Yes you can actually do that. I am concerned why the pc isn't reading the card though. Since your card is now formatted try plugging the nook into the pc with the usb cable and see if the pc will recognize the sd card that way (in the nook). Then as you said copy the file over, safely eject the Nook from the pc disconnect, power down and power up. Hopefully the file boots to restoration. If it does not then I would be highly suspect of the sd card at that point.