Turn off 3G?

joelong

Feb 12, 2011
I'm interesting in purchasing the 7-inch 3G model for use solely with wi-fi, so that I can take advantage of the higher-performance processor, etc. Is there any way of turning off the 3G radio entirely, while leaving the wi-fi radio on? I'd prefer not to expend battery charge on a radio that I wouldn't be using.

beastman

May 8, 2011
Why it big a wifi only which would be cheaper?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

joelong

Feb 12, 2011
Because the 3G model has higher performance CPU and graphics processor.

morrighu

Jun 3, 2011
Go find a store that has one out that you can fiddle with. Go to Home -> Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile networks

You should have a check box there that will let you turn off 3G data.

joelong

Feb 12, 2011
Go find a store that has one out that you can fiddle with. Go to Home -> Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile networks

You should have a check box there that will let you turn off 3G data.

I tried that, but the 3G signal strength bars in the notification area didn't go away, from which I concluded that the 3G radio was still on.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
You can go to Airplane Mode, then turn wifi back on (the 3G radio will remain off). The only drawback is that while in airplane mode, the tablet will not allow you to turn on the bluetooth radio (even though wifi can be activated from this mode). As an alternative, search the Android market for various free "My Settings" or "Quick Settings" apps which provide additional flexibility (i.e., one touch settings access from the notification bar and settings widgets) and depth of functionality vs. the stock "Settings" service (for which all you can do is turn off 3G data comms, but not the actual radio itself) and which may allow you to selectively turn the 3G radio. I have not done an exhaustive search for such an app that works on my Galaxy tab, but assume that they do exist out there (because I've found them for other android devices).

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
why not get a nook color instead-with cm7 at 1.3 ghz it is much snappier than galaxy. but you do lose the cameras

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
And the GPS. And the bluetooth. And the native Samsung multimedia apps. Seriously...please don't tell me you are suggesting the OP get a new and less capable device and hack it solely because he is trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more of the more than generous battery life out of his existing device. Pretty much makes no sense whatsoever...

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum

joelong

Feb 12, 2011
And the GPS. And the bluetooth. And the native Samsung multimedia apps. Seriously...please don't tell me you are suggesting the OP get a new and less capable device and hack it solely because he is trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more of the more than generous battery life out of his existing device. Pretty much makes no sense whatsoever...

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum

Okay, here's my latest. The Airplane On, Wi-Fi On trick worked on the store display model. I bought a 3G and took it home, intending not to activate the 3G account at all. But the Tab won't let me get past the opening Activation screen to just use it on wi-fi. Any way around this?

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
To get help on activation bypass methods, readers need to know your carrier since the process varies amongst the wireless carriers. Alternatively, you can search the forum to see if activation bypass instructions have been posted for your specific carrier's device.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Tablet Forum

PensivePundIT

Mar 24, 2011
I can turn off 3G and not incur data usage. Hold the power button and select "data network mode"totoggle data mode on or off.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

PensivePundIT

Mar 24, 2011
....the 3G signal strength bars still show strength but you're not using data via your carrier.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
....the 3G signal strength bars still show strength but you're not using data via your carrier.

Yeah, went through this earlier in the thread. The OP's objective is not just to suspend data services, but to also shut off the 3G radio to preserve the battery. At this point, going to airplane mode then turning on the WiFi radio accomplishes the objective, but now the OP needs to know how to bypass the Verizon activation screen since he wants to use the tab only in WIFI mode.

conchchowder

Mar 19, 2011
why not get a nook color instead-with cm7 at 1.3 ghz it is much snappier than galaxy. but you do lose the cameras

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
You also lose the microphone as well.

Why spend more money on Nook and have to screw with it to make it INTO a Tab, when you can buy a Tab cheaper than a Nook and have it do all you want it to do?

It's like buying a skateboard and turning it into a car for $10,000 when you can buy a car for $5,000.

SGT Refurb $99 3G TMO