Tweaks for the MID9742 Stock ROM

Anthony0903

Dec 2, 2012
nevermmind just read the previous post lol sorry so has anyone messed with it so it would work on the 9042??????????

manueld64

Dec 17, 2012
nevermmind just read the previous post lol sorry so has anyone messed with it so it would work on the 9042??????????

just tried it on my 9042 and got upside down screen, little tidbit, after installing google apps and play store, can pretty much push anything to it from play.google.com on your computer. only thing that would say isn't compatible is stuff that really isn't like xbox smartglass

Last edited:

FT721

Apr 19, 2013
First, let me a big Thank You to traveller1701 for all of your work to define and simplify this process!!!! Thanks also to Vampirefo for cwm!! Now, as you guessed, I need help. Sorry.

Here is what happened so far using Traveller1701 instructions:
- started with stock 9742 (BestBuy - $129.99)
- used ADB to verify cat /proc/cpuinfo showed exactly same as Traveller's post - good to go
- rooted, did system dump, loaded cwm and did a backup - no problems
- deleted a few files listed by Traveller in system\app to free space (all deleted files on Traveller's list)
- installed gapps - (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip) - no problem (did backup)
- installed Google Play compatibility tweak - (Tweaks-PlayStore.zip) - no problem (did backup)
Everything is good this far, tablet will download apps from PlayStore

When I add the location and battery tweak:
- Tweaks-SenseBatt.zip installs without problem in cwm
- tablet starts and runs normally (with new battery icon)

However, when I attempt to open Settings/Apps - I get a message, "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"

Everything else in Settings works fine.

What would you suggest?

And again, thanks for all your work!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The battery indicator mods require replacing both framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk since both files have battery indicators. It's entirely possible that your copy of the file is corrupt. However, before you go downloading another copy, do a factory reset first. Since all the files are written to the /system partition you should lose little except your Play Store login. After that, if it still doesn't work, download another copy.

On a side note, you installed the Play Store tweaks twice. The Tweaks-SenseBatt.zip file combines the tweaks in Tweaks-PlayStore.zip as well as the battery indicator mods of SenseBatt.zip.

FT721

Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Umm, I tried a couple things before I posted my help request.

After the problem occurred the first time, I:
- dropped back to backup containing the stock rom that had been rooted, files deleted from system/apps and gapps applied - all was well
- applied the Tweaks-SenseBatt.zip - Setting/Apps stopped.
- dropped back to backup containing the stock rom that had been rooted, files deleted from system/apps and gapps applied - all was well
- applied the SenseBatt.zip - same problem. (but at least this time I did not apply the Google compat. tweak twice :)

However, I will try a factory reset and see what happens.

I re-read this thread and noted that you mentioned clearing the cache/data for PlayStore and Google Service Framework and force stopping them. Could this help?

Thanks again for all of your work. This tablet is now 100% functional, runs as well as could be expected (better than I expected for the price) and loads whatever I want from PlayStore without a single hiccup. This was only possible through your efforts to not only figure this out and outline the way to do it - but - what is really exceptional is your patience to deal with the vast array of different attitudes in the forum.

It will be a day or two before I can try the next round of testing...

FT721

Apr 19, 2013
Just a quick update - I tried everything I could think of but could not get around, "Unfortunately, settings have stopped." But considering everything, I don't care. The tablet is 100% functional, responds well and is going to someone who just plays games (84 years old). So, I am stopping an further changes at this point. I'm satisfied with the performance with the flawless Play Store access.

Thanks again for all the guidance Traveller1701!