UK MediaPad User

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
Hi all,

After a nightmare experience with a Synrgic Dreambook which I sent back to China (and got a refund !!) I've been looking for something similar ever since but something that actually works !!!! unlike the Synrgic piece if c**p.

I managed to pick up a brand new (sealed box) mediapad (S7-301u) via ebay from a UK seller in early December for £260. I understand it came direct from a marketing event in Malaysia. I can honestly say this is the best 7" tablet I've tried. It's completely smooth, very fast and has no issues with any applications.

So far I've tested;

Skype / Copilot Live Premium / Teamviewer / X-Plane 9 / Huawei Phone Application ......... and a load of other applications.

I'm running it using GiffG**f/O2 and I've found it totally faultless. Had a few issues with some slightly dodgy apps but that's no big deal.
What really amazes me is that I've used it in the car while running Copilot/Skype/Phone App (linked to my built-in car bluetooth) and it works completely faultlessly.

I have just rooted it so I can run some other apps. If anyone is interested I can post a guide.

It looks like Vodafone will release the tablet as the Vodafone Smart S7 but unless you are tied with Vodafone, I would buy it out of contract as I'm sure they will wreck it with some irritating firmware.

A case and screen protector are vital for one of these devices as I don't think the screen is as tough as an ipad and it would be a shame to scratch the case as it's a particularly stylish.

Ditch any other 7" you have and get one of these. They're excellent.

in4mer

Jan 5, 2012
Hi all,

After a nightmare experience with a Synrgic Dreambook which I sent back to China (and got a refund !!) I've been looking for something similar ever since but something that actually works !!!! unlike the Synrgic piece if c**p.

I managed to pick up a brand new (sealed box) mediapad (S7-301u) via ebay from a UK seller in early December for £260. I understand it came direct from a marketing event in Malaysia. I can honestly say this is the best 7" tablet I've tried. It's completely smooth, very fast and has no issues with any applications.

So far I've tested;

Skype / Copilot Live Premium / Teamviewer / X-Plane 9 / Huawei Phone Application ......... and a load of other applications.

I'm running it using GiffG**f/O2 and I've found it totally faultless. Had a few issues with some slightly dodgy apps but that's no big deal.
What really amazes me is that I've used it in the car while running Copilot/Skype/Phone App (linked to my built-in car bluetooth) and it works completely faultlessly.

I have just rooted it so I can run some other apps. If anyone is interested I can post a guide.

It looks like Vodafone will release the tablet as the Vodafone Smart S7 but unless you are tied with Vodafone, I would buy it out of contract as I'm sure they will wreck it with some irritating firmware.

A case and screen protector are vital for one of these devices as I don't think the screen is as tough as an ipad and it would be a shame to scratch the case as it's a particularly stylish.

I've got this tablet as well. Not common like the mainstream ones but good for my ebook and portable needs.

Just wondering what this is though..."Huawei Phone Application"
Does this allow you make/receive phonecalls on your tablet? That would be fantastic.

I would definitely appreciate your guides! It was also purchased for experimenting with android

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
I've attached the phone application. Just unzip it and copy to the mediapad.
You might need to upgrade to the latest firmware (***B012) but give it a go first.

If the attachement gets removed just search on google for "huaweimediapadphone.apk"

I'll post the rooting guide soon.

Cheers

Attachments

• $HuaweiMediaPadPhone.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 5,202

in4mer

Jan 5, 2012
I've attached the phone application. Just unzip it and copy to the mediapad.
You might need to upgrade to the latest firmware (***B012) but give it a go first.

If the attachement gets removed just search on google for "huaweimediapadphone.apk"

I'll post the rooting guide soon.

Cheers

Thanks for that. I was itching to get ice cream sandwich and I finally got it on my machine. 4.0.1 though. The thing is that it took a little bit longer because not alot of english speaking countries are using this device. I found a forum that provided some information and a link to ICS. It comes with texting and the phone app. I think this tablet was the perfect choice at the time, with 3G and now phone/SMS capabilities, woo hoo! It was a bit hefty compared to the other devices, but now with these capabilities, I think the value is starting to come out.

Anyways, here's the link to the website I found ICS from:

Huawei MediaPad mit Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich im Hands-On-Video » Tablet Community

It's in deutsch I think, so using firefox I installed a webpage translator and was able to go through the guide. I don't think I had to root it because it installed automatically. I think it was the leaked firmware. There's a link to the deutsch forum with modding, hacking, rooting and all. Quite resourceful.

1. The only problem is that the calendar doesn't sync so hopefully they will get that fixed.

2. Also, I've noticed that you cannot use the mic while on headphones. Anyone have a fix to that? I'm gonna have to read the forum later.

3. Does anyone know how to back up everything so I don't have to reinstall all the apps again?

mfszambia

Jan 5, 2012
I forgot lock screen pattern and did not register my google account on it. How do i do a hard reset? [email protected]

Martin

Hi all,

So far I've tested;

millgate

Jan 10, 2012
Hello'

I saw this quote early on this thread ... I have just rooted it so I can run some other apps. If anyone is interested I can post a guide ... and I have blogged on this topic on a recent CNET blog page.

You might find that here ... Orange Tahiti budget Android is a totally tropical tablet | CNET UK with my pseudonym 'millgate ' and today's date.

I believe Orange UK is making a big mistake releasing their so called TAHITI (which is a HUAWEI Mediapad in all but name) at a silly price - AND WITHOUT PHONE CAPABILITIES !!

Could this device be 'upgraded ' with a SIM card capability (if indeed it's missing in the Tahiti) or might it operate with a PAYG card and some software (if it is there)?

I'm not a complete 'techie' but I am a tech-oriented marketer - and ORANGE seems, to me, to be making a really silly decision here.

Or, have I got it all wrong ?

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
I forgot lock screen pattern and did not register my google account on it. How do i do a hard reset? [email protected]

Martin

Hi mfszambia,

Considering you want to hard reset your device I would download the latest firmware which has just been released from at this location.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/tcpsdownload/downLoadCenter?category=&flay=software&downloadID=NDM3NTU=

You will need to format your microsd card as fat32. Then copy the /dload folder (which is inside the zip download file) to your sdcard.
Put the sdcard into the mediapad and turn it on. The mediapad will then upgrade. Do not touch the device until it says "please remove sdcard".

If you have any pictures these will be saved. You will lose the APN and WIFI settings but saved files should remain on there.

Let me know if you get any problems

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
Hi Millgate,

Personally I think the person that wrote the article on CNET is a complete moron. This is by no means a budget device. I would assume that Orange are releasing the device with some of their "added" software minus the phone application. I'm sure you could simply install the phone.apk and use the device as a phone but aren't you missing something here ?

If you go with orange you would end up paying £670 over 2 years. (£70 + 24 months* £25).
If you buy the device for £320 and then use somebody like Giffg@ff, you would pay £560 (£320 + 24months* £10). And this would give you unlimited 3g.

Think about it.
These guys sell the device.........
Buy Consumer Electronics at Simply Electronics

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
Thanks for that. I was itching to get ice cream sandwich and I finally got it on my machine. 4.0.1 though. The thing is that it took a little bit longer because not alot of english speaking countries are using this device. I found a forum that provided some information and a link to ICS. It comes with texting and the phone app. I think this tablet was the perfect choice at the time, with 3G and now phone/SMS capabilities, woo hoo! It was a bit hefty compared to the other devices, but now with these capabilities, I think the value is starting to come out.

Anyways, here's the link to the website I found ICS from:

Huawei MediaPad mit Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich im Hands-On-Video » Tablet Community

It's in deutsch I think, so using firefox I installed a webpage translator and was able to go through the guide. I don't think I had to root it because it installed automatically. I think it was the leaked firmware. There's a link to the deutsch forum with modding, hacking, rooting and all. Quite resourceful.

1. The only problem is that the calendar doesn't sync so hopefully they will get that fixed.

2. Also, I've noticed that you cannot use the mic while on headphones. Anyone have a fix to that? I'm gonna have to read the forum later.

3. Does anyone know how to back up everything so I don't have to reinstall all the apps again?

Hi in4mer, I've tried 2 different ICS releases on the Mediapad but I've gone back to the official Huawei releases.
They released B0016 on the site a few days ago. It's still missing a phone app but that is easily fixed.
I found too many bugs with ICS so for now I'll stick with 3.2 for the time being.

It looks like Huawei will probably release ICS next month.

in4mer

Jan 5, 2012
Hi in4mer, I've tried 2 different ICS releases on the Mediapad but I've gone back to the official Huawei releases.
They released B0016 on the site a few days ago. It's still missing a phone app but that is easily fixed.
I found too many bugs with ICS so for now I'll stick with 3.2 for the time being.

It looks like Huawei will probably release ICS next month.

Same experience here. I really hope they fix the microphone/headphone problem so I can fully use my tablet on the go without looking silly talking on a huge tablet.

Do you know how to back up the apps so I don't have to reinstall them every time I update the firmware?

poulsej

Jun 5, 2011
Same experience here. I really hope they fix the microphone/headphone problem so I can fully use my tablet on the go without looking silly talking on a huge tablet.

Do you know how to back up the apps so I don't have to reinstall them every time I update the firmware?

This app seems quite good.....
https://market.android.com/details?...wsMSwxLDEsIm1vYmkuaW5mb2xpZmUuYXBwYmFja3VwIl0.

There doesn't seem to be any good app that can backup apps and device settings bu there is another one which can do settings on their own.
To be honest the only thing I find painful after a firmware update is typing in the APN settings.

in4mer

Jan 5, 2012
This app seems quite good.....
https://market.android.com/details?...wsMSwxLDEsIm1vYmkuaW5mb2xpZmUuYXBwYmFja3VwIl0.

There doesn't seem to be any good app that can backup apps and device settings bu there is another one which can do settings on their own.
To be honest the only thing I find painful after a firmware update is typing in the APN settings.

Thanks for that. The app looks quite useful. I don't need to enter the apn. I think the sim card does it automatically.