Ultimate Droid vs. Phiremod: Which is the best?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Currently I'm running Phoremod v6.2, but I'm wondering if there is a compelling reason to change over to UD because it seems to have quite a following around here..

Anyone done a head to head with them?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Both are based on CM7, so ok, I will... But which flavor? That's the question..

DeeMat

Oct 19, 2010
I switch around a lot... I with Phiremod, I had WiFi issues; with CM7 (when it was first released) I had FC issues; As of right now, I have been running UD and it is the most stable ROM I've used on my NC - I might give CM another shot since that is what I am currently running on my Droid.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
RaVenj, I can't believe you got tired of phiremod, it must be an acutization of your"tinkeritis" .I read somewhere that some reserchers are working on a pill to cure the disease eheh!
Gloria

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I wouldn't say I'm tired of Phiremod, but I will say that I want to see if there is anything I'm missing. I ended up installing the latest (5/7/11) CM7 because I read there was some sort of security problem they fixed. When Phiremod and UD come out with their version based on that patch, I'm going to install one, then the other, and decide which one I like the most. One thing I notice about this CM7 is that the WiFi seems MUCH more stable and faster to connect to my home network. On Phiremod v6.2, my WiFi toggle never managed to connect. I always had to go into my WiFi settings and connect it manually. This is much better for that at least.

DeeMat

Oct 19, 2010
Wi-Fi stability is the reason I have stayed with UD for a little while - Phiremod would simply hate Wi-Fi connections on my NC.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Got Nook color about two weeks ago.
When I rooted the Nook, I loaded Phiremod and ran it for a day or so- no issues/problems with it.
Being the curious type, I then loaded UD and ran that, again no issues/problems.

Overall liked the simple layout of UD with Zeam Launcher better so I stayed with UD.
FWIW- UD has behaved perfectly since day one of my install. No wireless problems, no freez-ups, reboots, hanging apps, etc.
UD is basically as stable as an OEM OS should be- it's a really great platform for the Nook.

+1 for UD!

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i think he meant vanilla CM7 without the extras brought by Phiremod and UD

i run vanilla CM7 with the 4/24 1.3GHz OCV - works like a charm

incidentally i picked up a certified pre owned Samsung Galaxy Tab from Verizon ($149 +$20/mo fir 1GB 3G) - while it is pretty snappy and love the camera (voice phone calls via Tango to my iphone 4 friends) its video capabilities aren't to the same level as my NC

i use TVShow Stream to catch up on my fave TV series and on my NC it play really smooth while on the Galaxy Tab not su smooth - would hazard to guess 13-15 fps only

Both are based on CM7, so ok, I will... But which flavor? That's the question..

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
It sounds like a lot of these opions are based more on launcher preference than anything specific to the ROM.. That's fine, just keep in mind that the ROMs work with any launcher you prefer. So far, other than some WiFi connectivity problems that Phiremod seems to have, there doesn't sound like a strong opinion one way or the other.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I don't think I can say one runs better than the other. Both run good in my opinion. I am on Phiremod right now.

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
I haven't had any wifi problems with Phiremod 6.0. The only issue I had initially was with Facebook. Now that has been worked out. This weekend I did have a problem with Angry Birds where the screen would lock up. I am trying to figure out what happened. My 7 year old nephew was playing it so who knows what he was doing.