[Ultimate How To] Coby Kyros MID7127

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
Android Your Day - Wall | FacebookI've made a facebook page to hopefully help everyone out a little bit more!

Review:
This is just your basic review of the Coby Kyros MID7127. I did test some video chatting apps. Skype did voice chat but not video. With Tango it requires a phone number and Google+ didn't have any kind of video/audio chat options I could find. Hope it hits everything you'd be looking for.

Rooting:
In this video I'm going to show you how to Root your new Coby Kyros MID7127 thanks to CLShortFuse over at XDA and his SuperOneClick Root Tool. CLShortFuse's work can be found here - [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.1 - Automatic Driver Installation! - xda-developers

You'll need to download SuperOneClick V2.3.2 - http://bit.ly/uefu5v

Android Market:
In this video I'm going to show you how to get the Android Market up and running.

You'll need to download and un-zip this file - Android Market - MID7127.zip

KTZ Recovery - ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!
There's a new recovery in town! KTZ Recovery!!

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
Recovery.img's for flashing via Fastboot only:
Stock Recovery - stock_recovery.img
CWM V4.0.1.5 -- recovery-V4.img
CWM V5.0.2.7 -- recovery-V5.img

Clean up that BLOAT!
Go here for more instruction. I've done this and it works! Gets ride of all bloat (except GetJar for some reason). This include almost if not all notification tones, wallpapers and live wallpapers.

Un-Brick your Coby Tablet!!!

ClockWorkMod V4.0.1.5:
In this video I show you how to install ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM) on your Coby Kyros MID7127.

CWM is used to make a backup of your tablet as it is now. That way if you ever flash anything and you get stuck in a bootloop, you'll be able to restore to a spot where you were in the past.

YOU MUST HAVE USB DEBUGGING SELECTED FOR ADB TO WORK!

Download this - update.zip - and put it in the root of your sdcard. (sdcard/tflash)
tflash = MicroSD, You'll need a MicroSD card for this to work!

If you feel like I've helped you and you'd like to Donate - [CLICK HERE]

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
Fix your Driver Issues!!!
So after hearing all the issues people have been having getting drivers working I decided to delete all my cellphone/tablet drivers i've accumulated over the life of my laptop and also delete and re-install android sdk.

After doing so, I plug my 7127 in and try to use adb and fastboot commands to no avail...

I downloaded the Motorola drivers i've been hearing about and WALLA! Everything is working...

Moto Drivers: Motorola 5.4.0 Driver with MotoHelper*

Last edited:

BarbaraLK

Dec 22, 2011
omg omg omg Thank you so much!I will be brave later and try to root but I just got half way through your market video. I have already put the market on via daprospectors vid but was not finding a thing. I just cleared data via your instructions and NOW will be able to find apps. Happy dancing here. Barbara

norcaljim

Dec 20, 2011
Ditto what Barbara said. Appreciate your effort. I also added market via Deprospecto's instructions and got a version of the market that is very lame. Can I go through your process after already adding the previous market without doing anything special? She mentions clearing data. Would that be before going through your instructions? I know you are suppose to do it after. Will it just overwrite what is already there? Can you tell me what the benefit of the clockworkmod is? I understand you can create a save point of sorts. Is there no way to do that with what is on the tab?. Can you add that without rooting? Do you have any recommendations on security apps.

Thanks again.

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
Ditto what Barbara said. Appreciate your effort. I also added market via Deprospecto's instructions and got a version of the market that is very lame. Can I go through your process after already adding the previous market without doing anything special? She mentions clearing data. Would that be before going through your instructions? I know you are suppose to do it after. Will it just overwrite what is already there?

You should be able to just install the new Market found in the download link in my install video. It will ask if you want to replace the existing app or something like that. You say ok and it installs/updates. After it's done you should have the new market. If your having trouble finding apps, clear data like in my vid. If your still having trouble, power down and power back up. Once the market starts working properly for you, it will stay working. I've powered down and back up several times and had no issues after getting mine working. If after all that, your still having problems, you might have to root and do the LCD Density trick.

Can you tell me what the benefit of the clockworkmod is? I understand you can create a save point of sorts. Is there no way to do that with what is on the tab?. Can you add that without rooting?

Yes, clockworkmod is basically a safety net. I make a backup before I do anything I feel is "risky", that way if anything goes wrong, I can easily go back to where I was when everything was good. I also make a backup when I have my tablet set up just how I like it. As for it working without Rooting, honesty, I don't know? I don't know why you'd go through the trouble of CWM but not want to root? Rooting is the first thing I do with any Android device I get, followed by backing up with CWM. I'll try un-rooting my tablet and see if you can make backups with out root...

Do you have any recommendations on security apps.

I don't use security apps. From my understanding there's not really any viruses associated with android.

Thanks again.

My answers are in red, hope it helps.

norcaljim

Dec 20, 2011
The Kwa
Thanks for your answers. I will try adding the market again. When you create a back up do you save it to a separate storage media or your sd card, computer? Can you explain a little about "flashing via fastboot"? Also, I have read several posts related to running out of space quickly because apps are not moving to your actual sd card when you do that via the settings/applications/manage applications. I have seen people comment about apps2sd and links2sd. Are these separate apps you need to add to the tablet and which one do you really need. I have gotten the impression you cannot use the links2sd unless you root. Is that correct? You can run apps from your sd card right? Thanks again.
Jim

woodylittle

Dec 23, 2011
Most excellent post. got the 7125 first, didnt like the resistive screen, so returned it for the 7127. big BIG improvement. My son will love this for his Christmas present, and I will love rooting, installing the market and other fun tweaks. anxious to see if i can get Netflix running on it - runs great on my rooted TB, but i understand that is a whole different ballgame.

Shakes

Dec 23, 2011
Thanks for putting this together. I followed the CWM instructions and when it reboots to install, it aborts the update. It then gives me the android recovery menu. Any idea why?

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for putting this together. I followed the CWM instructions and when it reboots to install, it aborts the update. It then gives me the android recovery menu. Any idea why?

you downloaded the updated.zip in my video and put it in the tflash folder (sdcard/tflash)?

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011
The Kwa
Thanks for your answers. I will try adding the market again.

When you create a back up do you save it to a separate storage media or your sd card, computer?
It will automatically save in a "clockworkmod" folder in your tflash (your micro sdcard). If you want, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep at least one on your computer aswell.

Can you explain a little about "flashing via fastboot"?
Flashing via fastboot is for advanced users only. You have no need to worry about that right now.

Also, I have read several posts related to running out of space quickly because apps are not moving to your actual sd card when you do that via the settings/applications/manage applications. I have seen people comment about apps2sd and links2sd. Are these separate apps you need to add to the tablet and which one do you really need. I have gotten the impression you cannot use the links2sd unless you root. Is that correct? You can run apps from your sd card right? Thanks again.
In all the Android devices I'v ever owned, I'v never moved a single app to my sdcard. I'm guessing this is for those people how have hundreds of apps. I don't and don't worry about moving anything to my sdcard.

Jim

Glad to help

The_Kwa

Nov 25, 2011

i don't know what to tell you, i just flashed back to stock. Re-downloaded the update.zip linked on youtube, put the file in tflash. then when to menu/settings/about device/system updates/install system update and chose flash from sdcard. my tablet shutdown, flashed recovery, and powered back up. i used quick boot to see if it worked and it did.

your not extracting the update.zip are you? or maybe it didn't download all the way? try re-downloading it

Classicmm

Dec 23, 2011
KWA, huge props for this info. New to the tablet world, not android though. Your vids/info were super EZ to follow and understand. I know your not a Dev, but ever thought about puttin up a donate link? I'd donate to the beer fund!

Time to give the Thunderbolt a flash break n start looking for goodies for the 8127, a new fix :cool: