Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
@ Arlic not sure if you know but the official firmware from coby should revive your tablet by unzipping and placing on the root of your sd card(external) and just turning the tablet on. I bricked my 8024 previously by flashing the Haipad 8 rom but I was being lazy and didn't modify the u-boot.bin , I can't find the post but MarioGC posted instructions on how to update internal sdcard... I think its in the all you need to know 7024 thread....goodluck

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
1)When you format the "RAW" partion on the microSD card under the "Disk Management" program do you change the Volume label?? I think it defaults to "New Volume", but I remenber it being "sdcard" or something else before. Does it really matter??

doesnt matter what volume name...

2)Does the internal card have to be 4GB, or could you put in a 8GB, 16GB, whatever card?? Of coarse, I mean if your Coby is "bricked", I don't think it matters if the tablet is operating normally. And, it would make it easier to leave your tablet "closed" because its a dirty job tring to pry it open without damaging it.

doesnt matter..but for the safe side..use the original 4gb

3)What is the internal card formated in?? Linux, Mac, FAT32, unknown, or does it really matter. By trying to get this thing back on-line I must have formated this thing with Ubuntu, HP USB format tool, "Disk Management" , WinImage, whatever a hundred times by now.

i know each partition is formatted differently but the usual folder we can browse its fat32..other partition i dont know

4)How many partions are on the original internal microSD card?? I would assume(ha ha)that the external one is just FAT32, so thats a given. When I use the WinImage program I sometimes get more the 4 partions, does this really matter? I have read other users on the SlateDroid site that have copied the ROM files into a different partion then the one in the "Reviving your tablet in windows" thread.

the ff are the stuff i got from the dump image:
kernel
logo
misc
param
recovery
rootfs-combin

BTW, it seems that any "Gingerbread" ROMS should be avoided at all costs unless you are a Android Programmer. Of all the ROMS I have tried the "Gingerbread" ones seem to have a very high chance of killing the recovery mode in the Coby. And without the recovery mode it makes it harder, MUCH harder to "flash" a good one.

Bye...
Arlic

i've been using the ff gingerbread roms with no problem(aside from the volumehardware not working and rotation not good)
C8lean 1.2 (using 0.7 kernel)
Phoenix (using c8lean 0.7 kernel)
Evo rom (using c8lean 0.7 kernel)
the only changes i usually do is to add the drivers and softkey files

what gingerbread rom mod did you use?

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
i've been using the ff gingerbread roms with no problem(aside from the volumehardware not working and rotation not good)
C8lean 1.2 (using 0.7 kernel)
Phoenix (using c8lean 0.7 kernel)
Evo rom (using c8lean 0.7 kernel)
the only changes i usually do is to add the drivers and softkey files

what gingerbread rom mod did you use?

Just to put in my two cents on the subject, I used C8lean V1.1 meshed rom that was posted earlier, however I did hex edit some files to make to more 8024 compatible.. for all I know I did it wrong or changed the wrong things, because it flashed like normal, even did the recovery, but went white screen like it would with some roms. so I figured " okay, no need to panic, I can fix that, I have before" And let it run till it shut off.. but now when I try to turn it on, it won't stay on at all unless I hold the power button and even then, only the soft button keys turn on and only stay on for about 7 seconds then turn off again.

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
Just to put in my two cents on the subject, I used C8lean V1.1 meshed rom that was posted earlier, however I did hex edit some files to make to more 8024 compatible.. for all I know I did it wrong or changed the wrong things, because it flashed like normal, even did the recovery, but went white screen like it would with some roms. so I figured " okay, no need to panic, I can fix that, I have before" And let it run till it shut off.. but now when I try to turn it on, it won't stay on at all unless I hold the power button and even then, only the soft button keys turn on and only stay on for about 7 seconds then turn off again.

mine has the same problem, but i tried installing C8lean V1.1 meshed without moding it

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
mine has the same problem, but i tried installing C8lean V1.1 meshed without moding it

Cuida, do you have a 7024 or 8024?

Nevermind, disregard that, read in your previous post that you have a 7024. So thus far, Arlic and myself that have 8024's bricked in this way, and Cuida has a 7024. Both Cuida and I used the C8lean v1.1 meshed rom. Seems the only connection really is Gingerbread, maybe there are similar boards in our tablets that just doesn't like some driver or something in the Gingerbread roms

actually, once again, after Arlic's post, it would seem the C8lean v1.1 meshed rom posted by elemist2 seems to be the culprit. might be something in his/her rom just doesn't like our tablets/boards

Last edited:

Arlic

May 13, 2011
I actually use gingerbread version of C8lean, phoenix and evolution mods for testing but i never encounter brcking problems.

The only thing that keeps me using away from 2.3 is the non working volume hardware button. But the evo mod for me only have 2 problem the rotation and volume hardware button not working.

Where did you get that 2.3 mod?

I was using the rom "c8lean 1.1 meshed.rar" posted by "elemist2". I know it wasn't tested, my bad. :-(( I still haven't gotten the MID8024 to start up, even after
trying all the procedures/ROMS/etc recovery procedures. It takes someone with more know-how of this tablet to get things up and running again.

If someone out there in "COBY" land could post a "clone" of their microSD card that started up the 7024 or 8024 from a "HARD" recovery I might be able to get it
started with that. :))

If not I will have to wait until a more tested procedure comes out.

Bye...
Arlic

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Arlic, there are official restore Firmware in Coby's website for 7024, 8024 and 1024. Have you tried the one for your tablet model yet?

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
Cuida, do you have a 7024 or 8024?

Nevermind, disregard that, read in your previous post that you have a 7024. So thus far, Arlic and myself that have 8024's bricked in this way, and Cuida has a 7024. Both Cuida and I used the C8lean v1.1 meshed rom. Seems the only connection really is Gingerbread, maybe there are similar boards in our tablets that just doesn't like some driver or something in the Gingerbread roms

actually, once again, after Arlic's post, it would seem the C8lean v1.1 meshed rom posted by elemist2 seems to be the culprit. might be something in his/her rom just doesn't like our tablets/boards

I don`t think every gingerbread has this fault, remembering the Wicced`s rom was working kinda fine
Anyway, tonigh I shall trying restore with the offical rom from coby site.

terry98

Aug 12, 2011
Just to add myself to cuida and nefirim i have a black bricked 7024 also the same way 7 secs on and then off.. i bricked it using the C8lean v1.2... it would be great to find a way to flash the 7024 without having to press home + power, that key combination does nothing after this kind of brick....

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Just to add myself to cuida and nefirim i have a black bricked 7024 also the same way 7 secs on and then off.. i bricked it using the C8lean v1.2... it would be great to find a way to flash the 7024 without having to press home + power, that key combination does nothing after this kind of brick....

Are you sure it turns completely off when I turn on my tablet the soft buttons turn off after about 8-10 seconds and it continues to boot. Try installing droid explorer. It has a screen capture and will show you your device even if screen is not working because of a bad flash. As stated before the official firmware doesn't need and button commands to restore your tablet just unzip to root of an external sdcard turn on your tablet I think it takes @ ten minutes and your tablet shoulb be restored

terry98

Aug 12, 2011
Are you sure it turns completely off when I turn on my tablet the soft buttons turn off after about 8-10 seconds and it continues to boot. Try installing droid explorer. It has a screen capture and will show you your device even if screen is not working because of a bad flash. As stated before the official firmware doesn't need and button commands to restore your tablet just unzip to root of an external sdcard turn on your tablet I think it takes @ ten minutes and your tablet shoulb be restored

Mmmm.... im downloadin oth now (official fw and droid explorer) but doesnt droid explorer need a rooted deviced to detect it?... anyway ill keep you informed....

terry98

Aug 12, 2011
well i just tried the droid explorer it didnt recognize my tablet, also tried the firmware restore leaving the table alone for more than 20 mins and nothing... i guess ill just wait for a solution to this brick......

Arlic

May 13, 2011
Arlic here again......with a "still" bricked MID8024.

Ok, 1st off "Droid Explorer" doesn't know the Coby is connected to the computer.

IF..I connect Coby(with usb cable)...push power button(say 3 seconds)then let go...the soft lights go out.

If I run "Droid Explorer" before or after this "power button" thing I get "I don't see my device!" and Droid Explorer just sits there. :-(( Fun. Pushing the "refresh" button still nil. If I need a certain procedure to follow let me know.

Also, if I have "Disk Management"(I am using Win 7 64-bit also have Ubuntu 11.04 so am ready for anything) open its doesn't do "jack", nil. Nothing is detected on the computer at all.
Putting the Original Coby 8024 ROM in the root of a 2G microSD card with FAT32 also does nothing.

And also, plugging in the AC adapter doesn't seen to do nothing either. :-((

I appears to me that these tablets have 2 kinds of "recovery modes". A "soft" recovery mode where the power button & silver button are used "and" a ROM is on the root of a external microSD just formated in fat32. This seems to be the "recovery" mode everyone is talking about, simple.

But, this "Soft Recovery" mode doesn't seem to work in all "brick" cases. When the Coby screen doesn't turn on at all "and" Droid Explorer or Disk Management don't detect the Coby "and" the soft lights shut off after 7 seconds......you're Coby is in a "HARD" brick. My Coby was like this..once. I un-bricked it by following the steps in the thread "Reviving your tablet in Windows" by "prox32" at the SlateDroid forum. :)) I call this a "hard" recovery. It worked...well....until I got greedy for GingerBread and tried a "c8lean 1.1 meshed.rar" ROM and "hard" bricked it again. :_(( DUMB..I know.

Well, the above site didn't help my Coby this time, its still "hard" bricked. I must have missed a step that I did the 1st time that I didn't repeat this time...so I am out of luck.

We need a foolproof "step-by-step" way of dealing with "hard" bricks. Someone far-far more knowledgeable about Samsung S5PV210 (Cortex A8) timing codes and what have you.

BTW, at the SlateDroid site the threads "Reviving your tablet in Windows" is different from the thread "Reviving your dead tablet" by "fonix232". One says to copy the file "utscript.sh" to "utscript_sd" and the other states to copy "utscript" to "utscript_sd". ?? Is "utscript.sh" = "utscript".??

If I talked about to many "other" forums in this message I am sorry, but I thought that they might be helpful to other members in this forum. :)

Bye...
ToM