Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
BRICK! Bricked hard!

So in my frustration with the AppsLib not working and Amazon being so watered down as far as content... I tried to put the Android Market on my tablet using another post here. The one where the person said to copy over the 4 files with Root Explorer and then reboot. Yeah. Reboot results in just the Coby screen ... then it turns off.

Since I seemed to have wiped out the Recovery function (HOME and Power on boot) ... the device won't simply rewrite the partitions. I even tried using the backup I made prior to copying the files. No go. So this device is definitely copying stuff from the internal SD card to the ROM/system. I can't even boot without the internal card so it's definitely needed in order to boot.

UGH!
Not good! Why would just installing 4 apps brick the tablet? Did you download the image file posted here and try recovery with that? You created a recovery file from your wife's 7024? And when you put the card back into her tablet did it also reset?

On a brighter note UPS just delivered my Galaxy Tab!!

astaccz

May 17, 2011

Nice!!! I know you going to have fun with that lol. I dont wanna keep you from messing with your galaxy tab but would it be too much to ask for a full adb pull of the 7024 not just the system. Im on to something here. I would really appreciate it.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Nice!!! I know you going to have fun with that lol. I dont wanna keep you from messing with your galaxy tab but would it be too much to ask for a full adb pull of the 7024 not just the system. Im on to something here. I would really appreciate it.

I'd have to reset the 7024 first, plus get it out of my grandson's hands. If I can it may not be till tomorrow. And as far as the GT I'm looking forward to a tablet that works out of the box and can easily be improved on. I've had to many tablets that either needed reworking or excuses.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
I'd have to reset the 7024 first, plus get it out of my grandson's hands. If I can it may not be till tomorrow. And as far as the GT I'm looking forward to a tablet that works out of the box and can easily be improved on. I've had to many tablets that either needed reworking or excuses.

thats cool. I can imagine the development right now for the Galaxy Tab. I havent heard a lot but from what I did hear its a pretty solid tab.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Your trying on the uploaded heropad firmware or just trying to recover from brick?

No. Just to try and keep it short... A while back... maybe 2 or 3 months now, I got the 7024. I immediately jumped online in search of a root method. Since it was so knew, only a few people had started working on rooting it (including Dave and myself). Seeing how I bought 2x 7024's, I wasn't concerned about bricking one.

So I tried Z4Root and it appeared to have unlocked a portion of the device, but not entirely. So I continued and came across a couple other forums where they were trying to get ClockworkMod on the 7015's. I figured it would be a similar procedure. So looking on my device I noticed a file called "recovery.img" so I replaced it with the ClockworkMod.img and then proceeded to start the 7024 with the HOME+Power button recovery method. It found the recovery.img but whatever it did next... killed the recovery ability. So I was no longer able to get into the Recovery program. The device still worked ... I just lost the ability to run Recovery.

OK... fast forward to today. I started looking on this forum and saw there was a lot of new posts ... like using EASEUS Todo Backup. So I downloaded it and the posted "Untouched stock.zip" and put it on my card then rebooted. Hoping it would fix the Recovery ability. It didn't. What it did do was reset the device so none of the apps I installed were installed anymore. Then I noticed AppsLib stopped working. So in my frustration, I followed another post about getting the official Android Market working.

That's when I bricked the device. Apparently following the instructions to replace the 4 files in System/app killed the system. Now I just get the Coby logo and it turns off. Since I had already screwed up the Recovery ability ... holding HOME+Power does nothing.

My only hope is that somehow I can get an image or firmware or something that will revive it.

So for now... I've ceased rooting efforts until I get the device powering up again.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Not good! Why would just installing 4 apps brick the tablet? Did you download the image file posted here and try recovery with that? You created a recovery file from your wife's 7024? And when you put the card back into her tablet did it also reset?

Installing the apps didn't brick the tablet. I renamed the 3 files that already existed on the device so I had a backup. 1 of the files didn't exist yet. Then I copied over the (I'm assuming) 4 modifed files as the instructions said. Then I rebooted the tablet. That is when I noticed it was bricked. Only shows the Coby logo then turns off. So I tried wiping the card and restoring the backup I made (using the EASEUS program). But no dice... still just shuts off.

As far as my wife's ... I did not remove her card or even open the case. She wouldn't let me touch it after killing mine. The image I was recovering was the one I had made a backup of before I started messing around with the device. So basically a snapshot of just before I tried the "untouched stock.zip" that was posted a few threads back. I was trying to fix my Coby recovery ability which didn't work. But that is also when I noticed the device was resetting every time I was swapping the card ... even if it had the exact image that was just on it.

Nice about the Galaxy tab though. I'm about to just give up on the Coby anyway since the support is horrible and there is no firmware in site.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Needed a new toy :) I think it's back to the factory time for you. Can't run recovery hard to see you getting any FW on there now. Going to sound strange, but have you pressed the reset button? Also the volume down + power?

Coby's lack of response is definitely a turn off which is to bad considering how nice the tablet is.

BULLDOGG

May 3, 2011
ive managed to run androind 2.3. all buttons work like there suppose to. except volume. camera still doesnt work.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
No. Just to try and keep it short... A while back... maybe 2 or 3 months now, I got the 7024. I immediately jumped online in search of a root method. Since it was so knew, only a few people had started working on rooting it (including Dave and myself). Seeing how I bought 2x 7024's, I wasn't concerned about bricking one.

So I tried Z4Root and it appeared to have unlocked a portion of the device, but not entirely. So I continued and came across a couple other forums where they were trying to get ClockworkMod on the 7015's. I figured it would be a similar procedure. So looking on my device I noticed a file called "recovery.img" so I replaced it with the ClockworkMod.img and then proceeded to start the 7024 with the HOME+Power button recovery method. It found the recovery.img but whatever it did next... killed the recovery ability. So I was no longer able to get into the Recovery program. The device still worked ... I just lost the ability to run Recovery.

OK... fast forward to today. I started looking on this forum and saw there was a lot of new posts ... like using EASEUS Todo Backup. So I downloaded it and the posted "Untouched stock.zip" and put it on my card then rebooted. Hoping it would fix the Recovery ability. It didn't. What it did do was reset the device so none of the apps I installed were installed anymore. Then I noticed AppsLib stopped working. So in my frustration, I followed another post about getting the official Android Market working.

That's when I bricked the device. Apparently following the instructions to replace the 4 files in System/app killed the system. Now I just get the Coby logo and it turns off. Since I had already screwed up the Recovery ability ... holding HOME+Power does nothing.

My only hope is that somehow I can get an image or firmware or something that will revive it.

So for now... I've ceased rooting efforts until I get the device powering up again.

I dont think that there is no recovery on the coby card at all. That image is untouched though. I think the tab uses one of those linux partitions as device memory where apps are installed and whatnot. I can confirm that because after flashing the haipad firmware there was a notification saying low disk space. The whole card was formatted as fat32 no linux partitions. I deleted all the firmware files on the sd than did the update combo keys. It says no img found or something I cant remember. But then after that it says press volume up to init sd card. I did that and the recovery wipes the sd card writing the partitions (3 linux, 1 fat32). There has to be onboard memory which the system firmware is written to and can only be flashed to if firmware flash files exists on the fat 32 partition (this is how we flashed the haipad firmware).

I think the only way to get everything back to normal is to get firmware flash from coby. Right now the only thing we can do is kind of "frankenstein" a firmware that works the best until the official flash comes.

tileg

May 6, 2011
I finally got a terminal connection to my bricked MID7024.

Here are 5 dumps from the terminal. Based on what I have seen, it looks like it will attempt to find a recovery image in both internal SD and the external SD.

Just wish I knew the password. :mad:

http://t-rec.com/Android/CobyKyrosMid7024/brickednormalboot.txt
This is a normal boot of the bricked system without a SD in the external slot.

http://t-rec.com/Android/CobyKyrosMid7024/brickednormalboot1.txt
This is a normal boot of the bricked system with a SD in the external slot.

http://t-rec.com/Android/CobyKyrosMid7024/brickedrecoveryboot.txt
This is a recovery boot without an external SD.

http://t-rec.com/Android/CobyKyrosMid7024/brickedrecoveryboot1.txt
This is a recovery boot where the boot process was stopped.

http://t-rec.com/Android/CobyKyrosMid7024/brickedrecoveryboot2.txt
This is a recovery boot with an external SD.

tileg

May 6, 2011
In recovery mode it is looking for utscript on either SD card. I bricked it trying to use ClockworkMod and have'nt tried to use the haipad image.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
In recovery mode it is looking for utscript on either SD card. I bricked it trying to use ClockworkMod and have'nt tried to use the haipad image.

Yes... this is exactly my issue. After trying to put ClockworkMod on... I lost the ability to use the Coby's built in recovery function that repartitions the drives (i.e. holding HOME+Power on boot).

Although I had lost that... the system would at least boot to the OS and was usable... I just lost the ability to ever recover.

Well then I screwed everything up and bricked it by trying to put the official Android Market on by following the instructions to replace 4 files in System/App folder.

I'm glad you were able to get dumps... I'm curious how you were able to do it though. My tablet boots to the Coby screen... blacks out and then displays the Coby screen again for about 15 seconds before shutting itself off.

I'm still trying to revive it and will try anything at this point to unbrick it.

tileg

May 6, 2011
The Coby and the Herotab use the same daughter board for the CPU and memory. On one of the other sites they mentioned that pins 105 and 106 are TX0 and RX0. (103 and 104 are TX1 and RX1) With a fine tipped soldering iron I attached wires to the pins and then connected a TTL to RS converter I was able to connect to the serial port of the tablet. Now to see if I can dump the ROM.

tileg

May 6, 2011
Yes... this is exactly my issue. After trying to put ClockworkMod on... I lost the ability to use the Coby's built in recovery function that repartitions the drives (i.e. holding HOME+Power on boot).

Although I had lost that... the system would at least boot to the OS and was usable... I just lost the ability to ever recover.

Well then I screwed everything up and bricked it by trying to put the official Android Market on by following the instructions to replace 4 files in System/App folder.

I'm glad you were able to get dumps... I'm curious how you were able to do it though. My tablet boots to the Coby screen... blacks out and then displays the Coby screen again for about 15 seconds before shutting itself off.

I'm still trying to revive it and will try anything at this point to unbrick it.

When I power-up the board in recovery mode (power and home pressed) it gets stuck at the COBY logo but it stays on. It ends up that the tablet is stuck in the boot loader waiting for the password.

I was hoping to be able to use the terminal to work at the boot loader level but at the moment it is password protected.