Uninstalling Default Applications

• Thread starter Deleted member 221589
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 221589

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5" (SM-T580)
running Nougat (7.0).
I would like to know, how can I uninstall some of the default applications?

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You can't unless you're rooted, and even then I don't recommend removing the APK files from the /system partition. In general, regardless of whether you're rooted or not, it's best to disable the apps you're not going to use. While they still take space in the /system partition, because they aren't active they do not appear in the app drawer and consume no resources. The disable setting can be found in each app's info page in Settings>Apps. Some apps however cannot be disabled in this fashion. For those apps, you need to be rooted and use an app like SDMaid Pro to disable them.

D

Deleted member 221589

Ok. So if I just disable a default app, it will not show-up in the list of apps when I tap the App Drawer & it will cease to use ANY resources?
What are APK files? And can you point me to where I can learn what it is to 'Root' & how I go about it?
Would this also apply to an Android phone as well as my Android tablet?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ok. So if I just disable a default app, it will not show-up in the list of apps when I tap the App Drawer & it will cease to use ANY resources?
Yes.

What are APK files?
Android application package - Wikipedia

And can you point me to where I can learn what it is to 'Root' & how I go about it?
How to Root - XDA Android Forums
The method of rooting a device varies from one device to another. Some devices, especially phones and tablets from an AT&T or Verizon store, cannot be rooted as they encrypt a critical portion of the low level firmware in the device.

Would this also apply to an Android phone as well as my Android tablet?
Yes.

D

Deleted member 221589

Thank you for the answers & links, I'll look them over soon.