Unlock Android Tablet With Broken Screen

fuzindawz

Mar 21, 2018
Samsung Tab S2. Screen was completed broken. Touch is not responsive. How to unlock the tablet?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If the screen itself is still visible but the digitizer is broken, connect a mouse to the tablet using an "on the go" adapter. If the tablet supports OTG, a cursor will appear on the screen, and from there you can unlock the tablet. If you can't see the screen or OTG is not supported, there's no way to unlock the tablet that I know of. At that point, connect the tablet to a PC and pull off all the data you can. On a device running a nearly stock version of Android, you would need to interact with the system to change from charging mode to file transfer mode, but not TouchWiz. TouchWiz by default opens up in file transfer mode.

fuzindawz

Mar 21, 2018
If the screen itself is still visible but the digitizer is broken, connect a mouse to the tablet using an "on the go" adapter. If the tablet supports OTG, a cursor will appear on the screen, and from there you can unlock the tablet. If you can't see the screen or OTG is not supported, there's no way to unlock the tablet that I know of. At that point, connect the tablet to a PC and pull off all the data you can. On a device running a nearly stock version of Android, you would need to interact with the system to change from charging mode to file transfer mode, but not TouchWiz. TouchWiz by default opens up in file transfer mode.

How can I know the device support OTG or not? It is my first time to hear that Android device can be operated by a mouse. thanks

Gookera

Apr 10, 2018
Those advice above doesn't help , what you need to do is bypass or unlock password for your broken Samsung Tab S2 ,

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
  1. The tablet's display is broken.
  2. Touch is unresponsive.
  3. The question was "how do I unlock the tablet?"
I don't know how this conversation segued into what type of lock is on the OP's tablet. In fact, the type of lock on the tablet is not relevant to the discussion at all. Based on the information given, only two possibilities present themselves here: a classic example of Schrödinger's Cat.
  1. The tablet's display is visible when the power button is pressed, but touch events are not being registered due to a broken digitizer.
  2. The tablet's display is not visible when the power button is pressed, in which case both digitizer and display panel are broken since the OP has already confirmed that touch events are not being registered.
Now, just like Schrödinger's Cat the display's state is in flux until the OP reveals it. Thus the only way to answer the question of "how do I unlock the tablet" is through providing answers to both possibilities. I provided the answers in my first post in this thread, but for the sake of completeness am repeating and expounding upon them here.
  1. If the display is visible when power is turned on, if the tablet supports the use of an OTG adapter, use an OTG adapter and mouse to do what is necessary on the tablet. Note that there is no mention made by the OP of whether a pin, password, or pattern lock is on the tablet. The lack of relevance here is simply because the OTG mouse can be used to select numbers in the number keyboard, letters in the regular keyboard, and can be dragged to follow the pattern in a pattern lock.
  2. If the display is not visible when the power is turned on, the only recourse for the OP is to attempt to pull his data off, since Touchwiz by default connects to PCs in MTP mode. A pin, password, or pattern lock should not prevent this, but this is something I personally have not tried since I tend to baby my devices. Regardless, since he cannot see the screen, an OTG mouse is useless in this case. Casting the screen isn't going to be possible because the OP cannot see what he is doing on the screen to be able to activate it. Entering into recovery, assuming he has a custom one installed, won't help; again because of the screen.
If anyone has a third option that bypasses the known possible states of this display, speak now or forever hold your peace.